3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Could My *CAT* be shot????

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 03:17 PM

Could My *CAT* be shot????

ok, for ppl that dont know, this is whats wrong with my max: at lower RPMs (1500-3000) the car has a loss of power, but the RPMs keep revving, during this time there would be black smoke coming from the tailpipe.

************i know the CAT burns up fuel that does not burn in the engine but would it cause my loss of power??
Old 04-03-2002, 03:28 PM

damn chris, your car is falling apart on you. Maybe it's time you sell it and get yourself a hon-duhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 04-03-2002, 03:28 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Could My *CAT* be shot????

it quite possible! I've heard a good way o test the cat converter is to remove it and shine a flash light through it, if the light is distored any, then bingo, your cat is clogged! not sure how efficient of a method this is but its what I've heard.....

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer
ok, for ppl that dont know, this is whats wrong with my max: at lower RPMs (1500-3000) the car has a loss of power, but the RPMs keep revving, during this time there would be black smoke coming from the tailpipe.

************i know the CAT burns up fuel that does not burn in the engine but would it cause my loss of power??
Old 04-03-2002, 03:46 PM

ok cool

would this be making my car do all this? rich fuel smell, loss of power,black smoke every now and then...

maxima_dumbass: your corny! go away
Old 04-03-2002, 04:16 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: ok cool

would this be making my car do all this? rich fuel smell, loss of power,black smoke every now and then...
well I'm not 100% but it could possibly lead to some loss of power/hesitaion probs I would think. usually when the cat goes bad it also lets out a stinky "rotten egg" smell as well, you getting any of that??
Old 04-03-2002, 05:45 PM

Re: Re: ok cool

Originally posted by DA-MAX

well I'm not 100% but it could possibly lead to some loss of power/hesitaion probs I would think. usually when the cat goes bad it also lets out a stinky "rotten egg" smell as well, you getting any of that??
egg smell ... no but it does have a few odd smells but nothing that bad....
Old 04-03-2002, 05:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The cat's job isn't to burn unburned fuel, but unburned fuel can be bad for the cat. Like its name says, it's a catalytic converter, which uses precious metals to convert harmful greenhouse gases into less noxious things like water (and not sure what else).

Did you look into or change the oxygen (exhaust gas) sensor?
Old 04-03-2002, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by Bman
The cat's job isn't to burn unburned fuel, but unburned fuel can be bad for the cat. Like its name says, it's a catalytic converter, which uses precious metals to convert harmful greenhouse gases into less noxious things like water (and not sure what else).

Did you look into or change the oxygen (exhaust gas) sensor?
he has never answered this question... HAVE YAH CHANGED THE O2 SENSOR
Old 04-03-2002, 06:09 PM

I aggree, I wouldnt think a cat would give you this much trouble all of a sudden type of thing.

Where as O2, TPS, Massairflow, many other sensors and such can cause just as much, if not worse of problems than a shot cat can.

Bman was right on with is explanation of the cat. Any unbearned fuel in a VE engine should be gotten by the spark at (near) TDC during the exahust stroke. At least im guessing the VE does this, I have not checked, but most DIS (distributorless ingition system) engines do spark on both compression and exahust. This i beelive allows to help emmissions by "burning up any unburned fuel" left over from the combustion stroke, but i wouldnt think there would be all THAT much unburnt fuel, im sure its just mostly for emmisions reasons to spark on the exahust...but there could be other gains as well..who knows....... which reminds me, I have to go make a post about VTC engagment....
Old 04-03-2002, 06:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by crazy4maxima

he has never answered this question... HAVE YAH CHANGED THE O2 SENSOR
I KNOW! Chris91se asked it first, I asked again in his LAST thread... c'mon man!

oxygen sensor phobia (äk-si-j&n sen-"sor fO-bE-&) noun Irrational or inexplicable fear of speaking about or acknowledging the existence of an oxygen sensor. [see also: exhaust gas sensor phobia]

Old 04-03-2002, 08:14 PM

I could of sworn i said it

Originally posted by Bman
I KNOW! Chris91se asked it first, I asked again in his LAST thread... c'mon man!

oxygen sensor phobia (äk-si-j&n sen-"sor fO-bE-&) noun Irrational or inexplicable fear of speaking about or acknowledging the existence of an oxygen sensor. [see also: exhaust gas sensor phobia]

no i did not replace the O2 sensor .... but ya think It would help, the test showed that all the sensors were working.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:33 PM

Re: I could of sworn i said it

no i did not replace the O2 sensor .... but ya think It would help, the test showed that all the sensors were working.
well i not sure.. but if its "working" it could be not up to full capacity.. i have a bad spark plug that is makingmy ideal rough silightly.. but it still works.. get what i am talking about..

ei: full pump working but is it giving it the 100% job it supposed to
Old 04-04-2002, 10:42 AM

Re: Re: I could of sworn i said it

Originally posted by crazy4maxima

well i not sure.. but if its "working" it could be not up to full capacity.. i have a bad spark plug that is makingmy ideal rough silightly.. but it still works.. get what i am talking about..

ei: full pump working but is it giving it the 100% job it supposed to