3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

vtec/maxima

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2000, 04:38 PM
TIGHT 98 CIVIC

one thing i gotta say is how stupid it is honda got credit for "vtec" maximas had that type component but diddnt advertize it like honda which makes no sense to me cuz nissan made that mistake and took a backseat to honda on mainstream popularity. yet maximas can take a vtec accord so i think nissan needs to get off its corparet butt and start advertizing

Old 11-24-2000, 04:41 PM

What the hell are you talking about? Almost every car manufacturer has some for of variable timing, compression, cams specs, etc. Nissan doesn't use NVCS in the new sports car(Maxima? Hah) anyways..
Old 11-24-2000, 04:53 PM
STFU n00b!

Mike.. He likes Hondas.. He's beyond hope..
Old 11-24-2000, 05:14 PM

I like Hondas. Only certain ones though. Hybrids, S2000s, ITRs, and NSX's.
Old 11-24-2000, 05:24 PM

What he's saying is.....

Way back in the day.....90 300z's had vavle trick(the timing of them) and also the 92VE had it. In other words....instead off just making it....they should have said......NISSAN VT or VALVE TIMING for credit. Get it?
Old 11-24-2000, 05:26 PM
TIGHT 98 CIVIC

exactly

maxima mike one day when i get rich ill get me a s2000. my favorite are the 240 datsans now thats way back in the day

Old 11-24-2000, 05:29 PM
SeR

hahahaha

I said it once and I'll say it again. I-hate-hondas. They think they're such big shots with VTEC, yet as mentioned above, most every car company has some type of variable valve timing technology. Honda advertises it like they invented the damn technology and even write 'VTEC' all over thir cars. It makes me so angry. It's like how Pontiac writes 'ABS' or 'widetrack' on their cars. Give me a break!!! I'm glad Nissan have enough sense in them not to do the same with their cars!!!!!
Old 11-24-2000, 05:32 PM
TIGHT 98 CIVIC

thats my point

but i dont hate hondas nor do i hate nissans i do love datsans

Old 12-16-2000, 04:40 PM

SeR

Thats true about how car company's advertise **** like that. I laugh at every Lumina that has an "ABS" tag on its trunk. Or how some Century's have "disc brakes" on the brack pads( dont' all 95 car's have this feature? LOL FACE IT GM YOUR BEHIND TECHNOLOGY ). I really really really hate the "wide track" grand prix. The only reason why the car is so wide is because they use plastic fender flars. The track ( center of the tire to the other tire's center ) is no wider than a Honda Accords. I do really hate the VTEC add's. I remember an add, it was the Integra and the NSX saying that they have stuff in common. They both have VTEC and Double wishbone suspension.......its saying HEY LOOK!!! MY $80,000 exotic has the same technology as a $20,000 eco car. Besides, You guys are right, Nissan did have their Variable Timing System on the 90 300zx and I'm pretty sure they had it on the Earlier Q45's and 1992-1994 VE's.......I'm still laughing at how GM and Chrysler use names from the past to make POS cars...ex. Malibu, Impalla, 300M and how Olds has their "Precision Control" or Pontiac Grand Am " Solid Form "( you'll see you solid is really is on Government off-set tests )LOLOL damn, I'm sure glad Nissan stayed away from that! I don't mind driving a car with a "ten best engine for 6 years"...At least Nissan doesn't advertise this in all of their Maxima ad's

Old 12-16-2000, 05:12 PM

The problem is people are suckers!!

My roommate has a '97 Grand Prix SE with the 3800 V-6 (no match for my Max of course) but he loooooooooves the "wide track" handling he gets from it. Hell if a wide track made cars handle great, then every wannabe sports car would be a full lane width. It's soooo much more than that!!

Nissan valve timing control isn't too revolutionary. All it does in the VE motors is advance the camshaft 10 degrees or so. It's still the same cam lobes. Honda's VTEC system changes to a different set of cam lobes for added duration AND lift. It has much more potential than Nissan's system, as evidenced by such cars as the NSX and S2000. But Honda's are a different breed of car. I like something with torque thanks!
Old 12-16-2000, 05:36 PM

Re: The problem is people are suckers!!

Originally posted by RosenKen
My roommate has a '97 Grand Prix SE with the 3800 V-6 (no match for my Max of course) but he loooooooooves the "wide track" handling he gets from it. Hell if a wide track made cars handle great, then every wannabe sports car would be a full lane width. It's soooo much more than that!!

Nissan valve timing control isn't too revolutionary. All it does in the VE motors is advance the camshaft 10 degrees or so. It's still the same cam lobes. Honda's VTEC system changes to a different set of cam lobes for added duration AND lift. It has much more potential than Nissan's system, as evidenced by such cars as the NSX and S2000. But Honda's are a different breed of car. I like something with torque thanks!
Amen to Torque!

Old 12-16-2000, 10:02 PM

Re: Re: The problem is people are suckers!!

Torque VS. SEX, Torque VS. SEX, Torque VS. SEX, ok sex wins, but i still love torque!
Old 12-18-2000, 07:51 PM
TIGHT 98 CIVIC

Re: SeR

Originally posted by AlexGLE
Thats true about how car company's advertise **** like that. I laugh at every Lumina that has an "ABS" tag on its trunk. Or how some Century's have "disc brakes" on the brack pads( dont' all 95 car's have this feature? LOL FACE IT GM YOUR BEHIND TECHNOLOGY ). I really really really hate the "wide track" grand prix. The only reason why the car is so wide is because they use plastic fender flars. The track ( center of the tire to the other tire's center ) is no wider than a Honda Accords. I do really hate the VTEC add's. I remember an add, it was the Integra and the NSX saying that they have stuff in common. They both have VTEC and Double wishbone suspension.......its saying HEY LOOK!!! MY $80,000 exotic has the same technology as a $20,000 eco car. Besides, You guys are right, Nissan did have their Variable Timing System on the 90 300zx and I'm pretty sure they had it on the Earlier Q45's and 1992-1994 VE's.......I'm still laughing at how GM and Chrysler use names from the past to make POS cars...ex. Malibu, Impalla, 300M and how Olds has their "Precision Control" or Pontiac Grand Am " Solid Form "( you'll see you solid is really is on Government off-set tests )LOLOL damn, I'm sure glad Nissan stayed away from that! I don't mind driving a car with a "ten best engine for 6 years"...At least Nissan doesn't advertise this in all of their Maxima ad's
Your refrence to nsx/integra is faulty resoning considering civics have double wishbone along with many other cars. Geo metros and bentlys both have antilock brakes. I believe the difference in looks i think nxs have just a little more power than integra and the integras that have power such as type r's arent advertised. On the last maxima commercial i saw, the one where its in the desert "performing" to the music of ozzys crazytrain they advertized double wishbone suspension and used comperable to any car in its class not the word better but maybe my resoning is faulty.

Old 12-18-2000, 07:52 PM
TIGHT 98 CIVIC

Re: SeR

Originally posted by AlexGLE
I do really hate the VTEC add's. I remember an add, it was the Integra and the NSX saying that they have stuff in common. They both have VTEC and Double wishbone suspension.......its saying HEY LOOK!!! MY $80,000 exotic has the same technology as a $20,000 eco car.
Your refrence to nsx/integra is faulty resoning considering civics have double wishbone along with many other cars. Geo metros and bentlys both have antilock brakes. I believe the difference in looks i think nxs have just a little more power than integra and the integras that have power such as type r's arent advertised. On the last maxima commercial i saw, the one where its in the desert "performing" to the music of ozzys crazytrain they advertized double wishbone suspension and used comperable to any car in its class not the word better but maybe my resoning is faulty.

Old 12-18-2000, 08:08 PM

Civic,

Your not understanding what I'm saying. Honda advertises that they not only have the same emblem, they have the same technology. Now IF you understand that, and average Joe would think that "WOW an $80,000 nsx has the same technology as a $20,000 integra...Who would spend money for that technology if you can have it in a $20,000 car." get my point here? Nissan doesn't advertise the Maxima having Double Wishbone. In fact, the Maxima doesn't even have this. My 5th generation has Front Struts/anti-roll bars and a Live-axle with a scott-Russel link.

Old 12-19-2000, 10:56 AM

Nissan doesnt say ****, because they DONT HAVE TOO! There better than that, Honda blows!
Old 12-19-2000, 01:57 PM

The new Civic models don't have double wishbone suspension anymore. And they're butt ugly in my honest opinion!! I think Honda hit a foul ball with this one. We'll see...
Old 12-19-2000, 02:52 PM

you can't even tell some of the maxima's apart. my 3rd gen doesn't have SE written anywhere on it. but it is. it's almost a sleeper he he he.
Old 12-19-2000, 06:05 PM

what about toyotas?

I heard a Toyota advertisement the other day about Toyota's Direct Ignition system (a la VQ30DE) on a Camry!
Old 12-20-2000, 12:54 PM
living out of a maxima...

Don't doubt me for a minute: I'm ALL about the Maxima. But I must say, after rippin in my uncle's S2000, that is a bada$$ car. All 6 feet 3 inches of my lanky a$$ didn't fit in it, but it was definetly fast. Of course it was no 4DSC...
Old 12-24-2000, 02:32 PM

about advertisements

When it comes to technology toyota is #1 right now. Honda's V-TEC is either on or off, but toyota's ( i forget name ) has an 'i' in the name which stands for intelligence and basically it adjusts at all speeds and uses more variables. In 2002 Honda will have i-VTEC, which will essentially clone toyota's, but by then toyota will have already advanced onto the next technological breakthrough.

About advertisements, Nissan right now ( and has been for awhile ) very non-profitable. While Honda and Toyota make an average $900-1100 on a car (Was in Wall Street Journal week or 2 ago), Nissan loses about $50. Why they are non-profitable, I am not sure, but advertising does have an effect. All I'm saying is Nissan is at a stage where if someone sees a potential profit they could probably purchase the company. That someone could be Honda or Toyota, you never know.

Oh someone said Honda advertises V-TEC like they invented it, well they did. The facts are that Honda and Toyota are light years ahead of the competetion in technology ( Nissan, GM, etc.) If you doubt what I say, do some research.

-Nate
Old 12-24-2000, 03:05 PM
FlipSide909

VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing w/intelligence) Found on alot of Toyota & Lexus models.

VVTL-i (Variable Valve Timing & Lift w/intelligence) Found only on the Celica GT-S in North America.

VTEC-i is supposedly going to be continuously variable like the Toyota system but the current VTEC setup is only 2 stage variable.

Toyota direct ignition on the 1MZ-FE V6 Camry was introduced in 1994 along with using Toyota Distributorless Ignition system.

I'd rather see a Toyota/Nissan alliance than a Honda/Nissan deal. Nissan performance backed behind Toyota reliablity and quality! =) Toyota is #1 in Japan and possibly has enough money to buy Nissan and Honda with plenty of money left to spare.