3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Laptop in the Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 08:09 AM

Laptop in the Maxima?

Hey guys, a buddy of mine just bought a new laptop, and he wanted me to ask on the forum if there is any way to hook it up to his 93 SE maxima, either performance wise or sound system wise.

I think he was looking to play mp3's directly from the laptop to the interior speakers.

And I think he was dreaming a little bit from the Fast & the Furious... lol....

But any info on hooking it up at all would help him out.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2002, 09:11 AM

well i got my laptop hooked into the stereo but this is how it works..
(note i have two amps ..one to 6x9s and one too a box)
i got a headphone jack on my laptop so u get this piece from radioshack which makes the headphone jack go into two rcas..then u need two double female connectors and connect em and run them into the rcas for the amp and dats it..heh well my first amp has a input in / out so it works out nicely...
Old 04-29-2002, 09:42 AM

just get a head unit with an input jack on the front
aiwa makes a couple, they work really well

i have a pioneer hu with a cd changer input in the back
do you think i could hook my mp3 player or laptop up to that with the right adapter? 8 damn gigs of music on it
Old 04-29-2002, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by skatanic28

do you think i could hook my mp3 player or laptop up to that with the right adapter? 8 damn gigs of music on it
yea, i have a jvc digifine with an input jack in the front. i take my laptop, got a simple cord from radio shack, and plug one end into the headphone jack on the laptop and the other into the input. it works that easily because my jvc has a mode for aux inputs. yea, it's ghetto and looks ghetto, but works until i can find an easier way to do it without having to plug into any amps or anything. looks phat at night with the hyperwhites in the front, clear corners, windshield waser lights, interior lights on the gauges, dash, matching with the jvc, and if anyone has a chance to see into the car, a big screen next to me with a visualization going with the music. i really dont know what to do next in this car, besides getting this boat feeling fixed when driving.
Old 04-29-2002, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by wtng
well i got my laptop hooked into the stereo but this is how it works..
(note i have two amps ..one to 6x9s and one too a box)
i got a headphone jack on my laptop so u get this piece from radioshack which makes the headphone jack go into two rcas..then u need two double female connectors and connect em and run them into the rcas for the amp and dats it..heh well my first amp has a input in / out so it works out nicely...
What kinda of amp do you have that you connected it to, and is the amp you have it plugged into the one for the 6x9s? What about some kind of laptop stand? Or do you just have it sitting on the seat next to you or something? I think that's what he will ask me next, is if anyone mentioned a laptop stand.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2002, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by skatanic28

Come to think of it, asking these questions for him, has sparked my interest also. I have a CD Changer option, I wonder if there is any way to just hook it up to the CD changer using the RCA's you can get at Radio Shack that everyone has mentioned so far... Let me know guys, and I will pass all this info on to my buddy
Old 04-29-2002, 11:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

performance wise?

not sure about max's however there are tons for Honda's usually run about 1000-1500 for the cheapest standalone engine mang. w/ datalogging.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by drsprite

Come to think of it, asking these questions for him, has sparked my interest also. I have a CD Changer option, I wonder if there is any way to just hook it up to the CD changer using the RCA's you can get at Radio Shack that everyone has mentioned so far... Let me know guys, and I will pass all this info on to my buddy
i honestly dont even know what kind of input the cd changer has
i would assume rca and another type for the comtroller
anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-29-2002, 12:00 PM

you can use changer input

you can use the changer input on your cd player, if you have a din type connection you will need to figure out which pins do what, there is usaully some type of resitor across 2 or 4 pins that will activiate the canger controller. One resitor will tell if a changer is hooked up and one resistor will tell if a disc is present, 2 other pins are problay pos, neg power and a third pen for ground and then you have to somehow figure out which of the other pins are for audio input. You can probaly by an adapter from Crutchfield, but some times they are expenisive especially if it is for a sony. You might be able to use a multimeter to tell what type of signal is coming from each pin, or you may can find pinouts on the interent. I am doing this with a KDC - 8009 to have an auxillary input from a computer in my car.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:28 PM

ahh theres a laptop stand iforget what page ..i'll find and post lata but im pretty sure it was in the 200-300 range
Old 04-29-2002, 12:41 PM

talk to "spyhunter" he has a some similar setup with his computer, keyboard and such hooked up to his stereo on his 90 se i saw it at the 3/10 johnson park meet
Old 04-29-2002, 01:59 PM

If you have the stock sound sytem (like me) Get a cassette adapter that converts to your headphone jack
Old 04-29-2002, 02:43 PM

I've got a GPS Navigation program on my laptop. I've been trying to find a laptop stand. I have also tried bribing police officers to sell me their laptop stands but no luck yet I looked on Galls.com and didn't see anything. I guess I'll keep searching.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:19 PM

recently nissan released a program which you can hook up to a laptop so you can MONITOR your engines outputs etc

i dont have any more info on it tho
Old 04-29-2002, 03:47 PM

laptop stands:

http://www.interactiveproductscorp.com/automounts.htm

cheapest one
Old 04-29-2002, 04:13 PM

Chrispy: FO REAL?!?!? hehe, i want it!! (ricey for now, but still)
Old 04-29-2002, 06:09 PM

Does anyone have a solid answer yet on how to hook it up though to the back of the head unit perhaps? I guess he could just wire it to his amps, but for my car, I'd want it to the headunit...hehe, I havn't bought an amp yet for my interior speakers.

That would be awesome to have it hooked up to the CD changer, or the amp when I get one for the interiors...then I could have all my music right there, and wouldn't really have to burn CD's anymore...plus watch dvd's using my sound system...

lol, I'm getting excited
Old 04-30-2002, 04:38 AM

Does anyone have a solid answer yet on how to hook it up though to the back of the head unit perhaps? I guess he could just wire it to his amps, but for my car, I'd want it to the headunit...hehe, I havn't bought an amp yet for my interior speakers.

That would be awesome to have it hooked up to the CD changer, or the amp when I get one for the interiors...then I could have all my music right there, and wouldn't really have to burn CD's anymore...plus watch dvd's using my sound system...

lol, I'm getting excited
It depends mainly on the head unit, but for about $5 and 45 minutes worth of work if you don't know what you're doing, it's simple.
Could even try hooking it up to the pre-amp input if you have one, or if not, your auxillary input... Then run the wire out somewhere on your dash that'll plug into the laptops speaker output (Or line out if you have one, much better on your HU that way, and less distortion)
Then, all you have to do is switch your HU to auxillary and play it on your laptop.
Or, if you want to get really fancy, there's a dude that just joined up a couple weeks ago that has a full computer system built into his Blazer, and is working on something like that on his Max, could talk to him, think it's MP3Car or something like that
Old 04-30-2002, 06:41 AM

lol, I'm getting excited
If you want to hook it up through the Changer Input, you will need to know the pinouts. Or buy and adapter, its not really too tough. The guy that had a full computer in his blazer does not have a head unit, he uses amps to power all the speakers. Going through the headunit would be good becasue its got the amp built in and it wires are already to the speakers. And plus you can still use your headunit for listening to the radio and playing cds.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by maximatic

If you want to hook it up through the Changer Input, you will need to know the pinouts. Or buy and adapter, its not really too tough. The guy that had a full computer in his blazer does not have a head unit, he uses amps to power all the speakers. Going through the headunit would be good becasue its got the amp built in and it wires are already to the speakers. And plus you can still use your headunit for listening to the radio and playing cds.
Exactly, and you can switch between them.
Hehe, I didn't really pay too much attention to how he has it hooked up, I've come up with my own ideas, but I need to get the car fixed before I mess with it.
That, and I can't afford an LCD screen, otherwise I have a few old AMD's kicking around that I could build into the glove compartment...
Old 04-30-2002, 08:46 AM

why???

why would u want to hook up mp3s in your car first of all most mp3 are horrible quality compared to cd's
secondly the 1/8 to rca y apater is very small gauged wire
3rdly some of your guys want to staight hook this stuff up to stock if i had a couple thousand dollar computer i wouldnt want it hook up to a stock set up. id take my money and put it in to my car
4 of all you cant just(where im from)nig rig this up to a cd changer contoler.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:13 AM

Re: why???

Originally posted by kingrye
why would u want to hook up mp3s in your car first of all most mp3 are horrible quality compared to cd's
secondly the 1/8 to rca y apater is very small gauged wire
3rdly some of your guys want to staight hook this stuff up to stock if i had a couple thousand dollar computer i wouldnt want it hook up to a stock set up. id take my money and put it in to my car
4 of all you cant just(where im from)nig rig this up to a cd changer contoler.
That's why I said use the line output, it has a fixed amplitude, and running it thru the pre-amp makes it almost exactly like setting up that XM Satelite thing, or an external CD unit, or MP3, or anything like that, where the headunit controls the volume and distortion.
You can get and/or make high quality MP3s that are CD-quality or better, and even the ones that aren't, what difference does it make? Unless you are truly **** about your music (And I mean, TRULY ****) you can store thousands of MP3's on a several-gig HD, more then you can a CD, and like I said, it's easier to get MP3's, and cheaper.
As for rigging it to the controller, if it's got an input, you can do anything with it if you have even a basic knowledge of electronics.
If you'd like to dig me up even a basic schematic, I can show you exactly how it works... Or better yet...
- +
---::Changer Input::---
| |
---::Laptop LineOut::--
- +

See, not that difficult at all.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by GTRsi
performance wise?

not sure about max's however there are tons for Honda's usually run about 1000-1500 for the cheapest standalone engine mang. w/ datalogging.
WOW! Where do you get that price?? I priced them at 10 times that. I don't recall if that included the laptop, though...