3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Interesting HP and MPG increase!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 08:24 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Interesting HP and MPG increase!

Had my A/F guage in for a while now, getting familiar with how it runs at idle, through the gears, at cruising speed, and when throttling back. At cruising, seemed to dip down into the lean more than the computer would compensate and send it into rich (it bounces between the two at cruising in trying to maintain stoich). Bumped F/P up just one pound and the car went from 320-340 mp tank (depending on driving style between fills) to what it is running now, at 360-370 mp tank and at least 2-3hp on the ole butt dyno. Just happy that I've already benifited from the guage and that I'm getting better fuel effeciency! Now, my first year of Grad school is over, I am now going to go and officially get a life. Well,..... maybe after I mow the yard. I corrected the mpg to mp tank. I figured you understood but I'm sure someone out there would have something "funny" to say!
Old 05-03-2002, 08:34 PM

Re: Interesting HP and MPG increase!

Originally posted by Chris Gregg
Had my A/F guage in for a while now, getting familiar with how it runs at idle, through the gears, at cruising speed, and when throttling back. At cruising, seemed to dip down into the lean more than the computer would compensate and send it into rich (it bounces between the two at cruising in trying to maintain stoich). Bumped F/P up just one pound and the car went from 320-340 mpg (depending on driving style between fills) to what it is running now, at 360-370 mpg and at least 2-3hp on the ole butt dyno. Just happy that I've already benifited from the guage and that I'm getting better fuel effeciency! Now, my first year of Grad school is over, I am now going to go and officially get a life. Well,..... maybe after I mow the yard.
if you drove a 92 SE, how would you bump your fuel pressure?
Old 05-03-2002, 10:08 PM

Re: Re: Interesting HP and MPG increase!

Originally posted by MaDMaX024

if you drove a 92 SE, how would you bump your fuel pressure?
If he's got an A/F guage then he most likely has an adjustable fuel press reg.

Hey Chris, those are some nice results. I was wondering if you have cleaned or replaced your Knock sensor? or what other tune up stuff you've done to increase you MPG. Thanks
Old 05-04-2002, 08:59 AM

what brand FPR are you using?
Old 05-06-2002, 09:29 AM
Get Off My Lawn

You've got Q's, I've got A's

The FPR is a Stillen. I'm still using it with the pressure guage on it (I was told not to, but it's never leaked after 3 years). I was getting that kind of miles per tank when I first got the FPR but had messed with it at the track and never reset it until now; now that I can SEE what the car's running. There's very little I've done to the car maintanence wise in at least a year. Last year I cleaned the intake manifold and throttle body. Also installed new NGK wires and plugs last year. This year I installed a RT cat and performance (flow through) muffler. My original exhuast set up was simply a glass pack and straight pipe. I have made some adjustments to the TPS and the AAC valve. FYI: I do have a CAI and ICE pack from Jacobs. The CAI has made a huge difference with the warm weather lately! Note: I'm also carrying around over 200 lbs of stereo crap in the trunk. 2 12's, huge box, amps, battery and cap, and toolbox. Ahem, all that comes out on race night. I love Bristol, TN! BTW, they had some guy from The Fast and the Furious out signing autographs. I didn't recognize him. I think he might had been the "other" friend driving the honda when they were hijacking the semi's.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:29 AM

Re: You've got Q's, I've got A's

The FPR is a Stillen. I'm still using it with the pressure guage on it (I was told not to, but it's never leaked after 3 years). I was getting that kind of miles per tank when I first got the FPR but had messed with it at the track and never reset it until now; now that I can SEE what the car's running. There's very little I've done to the car maintanence wise in at least a year. Last year I cleaned the intake manifold and throttle body. Also installed new NGK wires and plugs last year. This year I installed a RT cat and performance (flow through) muffler. My original exhuast set up was simply a glass pack and straight pipe. I have made some adjustments to the TPS and the AAC valve. FYI: I do have a CAI and ICE pack from Jacobs. The CAI has made a huge difference with the warm weather lately! Note: I'm also carrying around over 200 lbs of stereo crap in the trunk. 2 12's, huge box, amps, battery and cap, and toolbox. Ahem, all that comes out on race night. I love Bristol, TN! BTW, they had some guy from The Fast and the Furious out signing autographs. I didn't recognize him. I think he might had been the "other" friend driving the honda when they were hijacking the semi's.

I was just wondering, but do they put additives in your gas during winter/fall months over there in TN. In NY they add MTBE (methyl tributyl ethelene) amongst other things and it is known to decrease fuel economy. Partly due to the fact that it is more difficult to burn the mixture. So if you checked it a few months back this may be why you saw that small increase. If you dont know if the additive is in your gas, it may say something on the gas pump itself. There must be someone that you can ask.

To compensate for the new mixture during those months you could regap your spark plugs down a bit so that the spark can ignite the mix more easily.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:39 AM

What fuel pressure are you running? I have a SARD fpr and some gauges i need to put in. Thanks
Old 05-07-2002, 04:48 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Good thinking though about the additive, but since my mileage has been consistant for almost a year now (summer and winter months), I don't believe the fuel was resoponsible. I'm running 44lbs pressure right now at idle. I believe stock pressure at idle on a VG and VE is 36lbs +/- at idle.
Old 06-15-2002, 01:45 PM
Donating member? what the?!

SSSSSHOOOCCKKING!

Originally posted by flyry110
flyry110, Oh... My... GOOODNESSS!!! What are you doing?!!!! Them rims look, ehhh, well.... ah hem... distinct
Old 06-15-2002, 05:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Interesting HP and MPG increase!

Had my A/F guage in for a while now, getting familiar with how it runs at idle, through the gears, at cruising speed, and when throttling back. At cruising, seemed to dip down into the lean more than the computer would compensate and send it into rich (it bounces between the two at cruising in trying to maintain stoich). Bumped F/P up just one pound and the car went from 320-340 mp tank (depending on driving style between fills) to what it is running now, at 360-370 mp tank and at least 2-3hp on the ole butt dyno. Just happy that I've already benifited from the guage and that I'm getting better fuel effeciency! Now, my first year of Grad school is over, I am now going to go and officially get a life. Well,..... maybe after I mow the yard. I corrected the mpg to mp tank. I figured you understood but I'm sure someone out there would have something "funny" to say!
what size gas tank do you have? my '92 se gets me 450 mptank without really pushing my luck. granted that is nothing but highway miles(when you have a ten hour drive you get to figure that stuff out). the point is, a long drive seems to be the only way you can get an accurate measure. any differences apart from that could be explained away as a different street/highway combination of driving.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:35 PM

Re: SSSSSHOOOCCKKING!

Originally posted by super32

flyry110, Oh... My... GOOODNESSS!!! What are you doing?!!!! Them rims look, ehhh, well.... ah hem... distinct
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/main.html

flyry - paint your clear corner trim!! trust me, it'll be worth the 30 minutes you spend doing it and $5
Old 06-16-2002, 03:26 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally posted by Chris Gregg Good thinking though about the additive, but since my mileage has been consistant for almost a year now (summer and winter months), I don't believe the fuel was resoponsible. I'm running 44lbs pressure right now at idle. I believe stock pressure at idle on a VG and VE is 36lbs +/- at idle.
44lbs at idle, that's interesting. I think that's what I get when I disconnect the vacuun hose from my FPR simlulating a WOT run. So with increasing your fuel pressure to 44 lbs at idle do you find you're getting a more even stoich reading thru-out your different driving styles, also which type A/F gauge/sender are you using? Are you using a seperate O2 sensor, or did you tap into the OEM O2 harness? I guess thats what tuning is all about, trying different settings and test driving or dynoing.
Old 06-16-2002, 06:43 PM

not to interrupt your posts with a stupid question but how many gallons does a 1990 gxe gas tank hold? tryna figure out my mpg at the moment....i think the ratio maybe somewhat high.....thx
Old 06-17-2002, 09:05 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally posted by CandiMan

44lbs at idle, that's interesting. I think that's what I get when I disconnect the vacuun hose from my FPR simlulating a WOT run. So with increasing your fuel pressure to 44 lbs at idle do you find you're getting a more even stoich reading thru-out your different driving styles, also which type A/F gauge/sender are you using? Are you using a seperate O2 sensor, or did you tap into the OEM O2 harness? I guess thats what tuning is all about, trying different settings and test driving or dynoing.
I have been using the Stillen FPR. After the increase it did seem that I was achieving a more even stoich reading. I had noticed it seemed to run more lean set at a lower pressure and is why I bumped it up. I am using the Autometer A/F guage(installed it in place of the clock on the dash). I tried using the Nissan O2 sensor but it never read right. I even replaced the sensor with a new one from Courtesy, but with the same results. I contacted Autometer and they said there were sometimes problems when trying to utilize oem sensors, so I bought Autometer's sensor and installed it about an inch further down the pipe from the oem sensor. Works great sense and warms up quick too (about 60s)!
Old 06-17-2002, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by flyry110
am about to cry because of your rims
MrGone