3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Camber caster plates

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 02:48 PM

Camber caster plates

so the alignment shop said my caster was out of adjustment and that there is nothing that can be done...b.s.

so i've installed struts on both my car and a 4th gen and i'm 90% certain that the front upper strut housings are the same.

the real question is does anyone sell camber/caster plates for the 3rg gen? i know candiman made them but as far as i know the project has been haulted. if not i'm gonna attempt the 4th gen plates. my car pulls so bad, vibrates, and overall handles like crap.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:34 AM

are you saying your camber is off? cause they make kits for them and i have also seen plates that go on top to correct camber
Rane
Old 05-05-2002, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by memphis92se
are you saying your camber is off? cause they make kits for them and i have also seen plates that go on top to correct camber
Rane
no my caster is off
Old 05-06-2002, 10:06 AM

Caster on our cars is not adjustable..it is the position of the axle centerline front to back.. If it is off this can mean a few things. Likley culprit would be control arm bushings or bent control arm. Also a bent strut or bad strut mount could do it too.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by male
Caster on our cars is not adjustable..it is the position of the axle centerline front to back.. If it is off this can mean a few things. Likley culprit would be control arm bushings or bent control arm. Also a bent strut or bad strut mount could do it too.

thanks for the advice, but with camber plates (not the stillen one) caster IS adjustable
Old 05-06-2002, 02:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

I think the point here is if your caster is off, it's either a bent suspension piece or worn bushings. You can correct it(maybe) with caster/camber plates but it would be like fixing the symptom and not the problem.

You are using some type of really low springs?
Old 05-06-2002, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I think the point here is if your caster is off, it's either a bent suspension piece or worn bushings. You can correct it(maybe) with caster/camber plates but it would be like fixing the symptom and not the problem.

You are using some type of really low springs?
mmm i'm like 1.75 drop in the front with camber bolts for correction. however before i lowered it, the alignment shop told me the caster was off but the car drove fine. the car was never in an accident but the prev owner hit a deer on the right side and had it fixed. thats mostly likely the case.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by spyhunter

mmm i'm like 1.75 drop in the front with camber bolts for correction. however before i lowered it, the alignment shop told me the caster was off but the car drove fine. the car was never in an accident but the prev owner hit a deer on the right side and had it fixed. thats mostly likely the case.
just got off the phone with GC, they only make camber plates for coil overs for the 4th gen, nothing for 3rds. he also told me that most likely there's something messed up in the front end, control arm, bushing etc. damnit...price check!
Old 05-06-2002, 07:08 PM

so i did some inspecting tonight. figured i'd check out the lbj and lca by jacking up the car and pushing in on the tire. passenger side was fine but the drivers side moved in like an inch!!

turns out the bastards at the alignment shop didn't tighten the camber bolt. it was so loose i could turn it by hand oh man i'm so angry can't wait to go back there and yell