3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Performance Mathematics-Calling on the physicists

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 12:47 PM

Performance Mathematics-Calling on the physicists

Does anyone know the formulas for obtaining 0-60 times and distances based on available HP and vehicle weight under maximum acceleration? Technical and Lay terms OK. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Is this even possible without filling a small book or using a computer?

There are lots of factors involved like:
-power curve
-max RPM
-gearing
-tire size
-traction

And that's assuming a bunch of other variables are equal too.

I'm not sure if 0-60 is as easy to figure out as something like top speed since it's launch-dependant too. I'll look in my bookshelf later (much later) tonight, but I don't know if there's a quick estimation formula for this.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:01 PM

I don't need this down to the exact millimeter, just a good approximation will do. I found some specs for the SE, but was unable to find any for a stock GXE. Just need something plausible for a court case on Monday. I'm arguing that I couln't get to 60 in that distance.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:37 PM

Well without knowing the "race weight" of the car, gearing, power at the drive wheels there is no way to know. But for the sake of arguement I took an old VG dyno and put it into cartest. Basically it would hit 60mph at around 480-490ft and around 8.7-9.2 seconds after going WOT from a stop.

Originally posted by Jaybird180
I don't need this down to the exact millimeter, just a good approximation will do. I found some specs for the SE, but was unable to find any for a stock GXE. Just need something plausible for a court case on Monday. I'm arguing that I couln't get to 60 in that distance.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:16 PM

are you the guy that was on here a few months ago that got pulled over at 60mph just after leaving a gas station in normal traffic driving normally? good luck either way.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:19 PM

Well assuming your car is stock, the average 0-60 time is usually about 9.1 seconds for VG's. Acceleration = (v final - v intial)/time. This gives an acceleration of about 2.95 m/s^2 (back to standard in a sec).
Distance = 1/2at^2 which equals about 121 meters which is just under 400 feet. Don't know how exact that is but it should give you a ballpark. A good thing for you to do would be to get in your car and time your 0-60 time and you can get a better estimate. As long as you know your acceleration, you can easily get the distance.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:56 PM

I could tell you how long it would take your car to reach 60 mph if you drove it off a cliff, but I doubt physics would help you finding that out without taking a million factors into account.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:53 PM

my vg 91 gxe

0-60 in 8.6 sec
Old 05-07-2002, 10:39 PM

Which would mean 115 meters or about 393 ft.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by noleafclover

are you the guy that was on here a few months ago that got pulled over at 60mph just after leaving a gas station in normal traffic driving normally? good luck either way.
Yes, the court is Monday. I counted about 700 feet from a standstill. I wasn't gunning the car (I don't think so)
Old 05-10-2002, 02:25 AM

Well if you had 700 feet then you definately had time to get to 60 mph. No math is gonna help you on this one.. You can maybe play the "my spedometer must be off because I looked at it when I passed the cop and it said 45" card, but good luck with that one. I think you is gonna be payin a ticket and going to those fun drivers safety classes.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:41 AM

Re: Performance Mathematics-Calling on the physicists

Does anyone know the formulas for obtaining 0-60 times and distances based on available HP and vehicle weight under maximum acceleration? Technical and Lay terms OK. Thanks.
pick up a copy of last month super street, they explain this exactly. and g force and braking
Old 05-10-2002, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by drewstair
Well if you had 700 feet then you definately had time to get to 60 mph. No math is gonna help you on this one.. You can maybe play the "my spedometer must be off because I looked at it when I passed the cop and it said 45" card, but good luck with that one. I think you is gonna be payin a ticket and going to those fun drivers safety classes.
Yeah, about 500 feet is reasonable in a stock GXE, but at full tilt boogie. I think I can trap the officer into saying that he didn't observe me doing any max acceleration type of driving. Strategy: Officer, did you see any type of driving that would suggest recklessness? Of course he'll say "no" cause he didn't write a ticket for wrecklessness. I may even go for the gusto and ask if he saw me doing max acceleration (ie. tires squeling, g-load squat). Whaddya guys think? Think the judge will laugh at me? My wife did when she saw how serious I was when taking pictures.
Old 05-12-2002, 01:10 PM

Re: my vg 91 gxe

Originally posted by crazy4maxima
0-60 in 8.6 sec
Faster than a 94 SE Auto? 0-60 @ 8.8sec
Old 05-12-2002, 01:30 PM

Re: Re: my vg 91 gxe

Faster than a 94 SE Auto? 0-60 @ 8.8sec
yep

and stock
Old 05-12-2002, 05:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: my vg 91 gxe

Originally posted by crazy4maxima
yep

and stock
im confused.... 8.8sec is slow as hell i think my 82' oldsmobile was faster then that. I remember my 89se stock was 7.9.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:21 AM

Yeah, about 500 feet is reasonable in a stock GXE, but at full tilt boogie. I think I can trap the officer into saying that he didn't observe me doing any max acceleration type of driving. Strategy: Officer, did you see any type of driving that would suggest recklessness? Of course he'll say "no" cause he didn't write a ticket for wrecklessness. I may even go for the gusto and ask if he saw me doing max acceleration (ie. tires squeling, g-load squat). Whaddya guys think? Think the judge will laugh at me? My wife did when she saw how serious I was when taking pictures.
Wow, they actually do that when you fight tickets? Here in Connecticut you go in a small room with a prosecutor and a secretary, and he says "Why don't you think you should get the ticket?"
You reply, and he says "Well, ok, here's a $100 fine, don't do it again"
I went thru it twice, only the second time I could have been arrested and thrown in jail for 3 years for 2 of the penalties...
People, just FYI, misuse of plates IS a felony... <cough, cough>
Not that I would know or anything
Old 05-14-2002, 09:41 AM

The Verdict

I went to court on yesterday. I didn't want to make the questioning of the officer seem too adversarial, didn't want to **** off the judge. When the officer wrote the original ticket, it was for $25 plus $90 court costs.
Anyway, he testified that he saw me in his rear view mirror, and then pegged me at 60 visually and then used his radar as backup (BS). The mistake I made was when I questioned him, I let off of him when he began to get nervous as I was questioning him. Several people in the courtroom came up to me afterward and said I did well and didn't agree w/ the judge, as well as raising eyebrows from the attorneys that were there. I shouldn't have let off of him, and I should have explained the mathematics to the judge that I presented to the DA when he wanted to see my data.
The prosecuting DA said that he couldn't refute the evidence or the data that I brought, and appeared dumbfounded. His only argument w/ anything I said was that "we don't know if it really was 700 ft. or not" At the end of it, the judge said, "You brought up some really good points. Fifteen dollars plus court." DAMN! I couldn't believe it! I asked for prayer for judgement. The judge said "Come back at 2:30, and I'll think about it." It was 10:30.
Back to my case after a long lunch, he asked if I had anything to say, I said, "I should have said it then, it's too late now." He said, "No fine on cause, pay the court costs."
So in the end it was a sort-of victory. I think I'm going to write someone about the legal procedures in Onslow County, NC. The court costs are BS. In the detail on the receipt, the officer gets paid too! And what ****ed me off is that the DA said that discovery (the details of what I am accused of) is not allowed in District Court. I had to sort-of wing it, cause I wasn't really sure as to what the officer would testify. If I did know, I would have been better able to refute his testimony, cause where he said he was was not what the ticket said, but I was unprepared to deal w/ that. I tried to follow my script as best I could.
Thanks to everyone who has read my story, and followed along offering advice and information.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:20 AM

a fellow worms player?

I went to court on yesterday. I didn't want to make the questioning of the officer seem too adversarial, didn't want to **** off the judge. When the officer wrote the original ticket, it was for $25 plus $90 court costs.
Anyway, he testified that he saw me in his rear view mirror, and then pegged me at 60 visually and then used his radar as backup (BS). The mistake I made was when I questioned him, I let off of him when he began to get nervous as I was questioning him. Several people in the courtroom came up to me afterward and said I did well and didn't agree w/ the judge, as well as raising eyebrows from the attorneys that were there. I shouldn't have let off of him, and I should have explained the mathematics to the judge that I presented to the DA when he wanted to see my data.
The prosecuting DA said that he couldn't refute the evidence or the data that I brought, and appeared dumbfounded. His only argument w/ anything I said was that "we don't know if it really was 700 ft. or not" At the end of it, the judge said, "You brought up some really good points. Fifteen dollars plus court." DAMN! I couldn't believe it! I asked for prayer for judgement. The judge said "Come back at 2:30, and I'll think about it." It was 10:30.
Back to my case after a long lunch, he asked if I had anything to say, I said, "I should have said it then, it's too late now." He said, "No fine on cause, pay the court costs."
So in the end it was a sort-of victory. I think I'm going to write someone about the legal procedures in Onslow County, NC. The court costs are BS. In the detail on the receipt, the officer gets paid too! And what ****ed me off is that the DA said that discovery (the details of what I am accused of) is not allowed in District Court. I had to sort-of wing it, cause I wasn't really sure as to what the officer would testify. If I did know, I would have been better able to refute his testimony, cause where he said he was was not what the ticket said, but I was unprepared to deal w/ that. I tried to follow my script as best I could.
Thanks to everyone who has read my story, and followed along offering advice and information.

Good job, sweet bitter victory