3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help! - RHD New Zealand 3rd gen auto to manual conv

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 09:19 PM

Help! - RHD New Zealand 3rd gen auto to manual conv

Hi to all...
Okay heres the story... I live in NZ, and have a Japanese import '89 Maxima. They either never made or never exported any manual 3rd gens so there are none what so ever in this country. My old and tired slush-box is slowly dying, and having just spent a grand on custom extractors for my baby, I'm looking at ways to get more horses. One way i thought of was to pick up a 2nd hand manual box from the states, ship it out and shoehorn it in. But being RHD do any of you guys think the pedal box would swap over? And what else do i need? Shifter, and linkages obviously, what about the rest, it cant be that easy that you just remove the slush box and put in the 5 spd... what about driveshaft lengths and engine/g'box mount points? I may have to grab a digital camera and get you guys some pics of my engine bay so u can have a look....
any help appreciated guys :-)

By the way, its interesting to note the differences between the US and NZ in the way maximas are obviously marketed. Over here, its seen as a fairly large, family saloon type, or a businessmans car, u know, big powerful heaps of extras etc. but in the states, correct me if im wrong but they seem to have a more sporty image. You can get performance parts very easily, but my extractors I had to get made, nobody hots up maximas over here... its why i want to manual it, think how it would be if YOU owned the only manual 3rd gen in the whole country.... :-) Yeeehaa!
Old 05-10-2002, 09:41 AM

Check out this site, and email Pete, I know he's been trying to get a 5-speed swap going in his UK Maxima.

http://www.btinternet.com/~d.brooks1/bignissans/