3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Consistent use of 87 octane

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 11:45 AM

SO you use 91 and ONE of your injectors died. So what? Do you think they supposed to last forever? The point is that cheap gas will help you to replace them ( and other parts ) more often. Get it? And as I said its not just the octane level - it's other quality considerations as well. You don't seem to comprehend my points very well!
How would you suggest I supply concrete proof? Why don't you go ask a chemical engineer if what I say is true? You'll see. Don't expect some auto mechanic to tell you what is the best gas to use for your car. To tell you the truth - they don't really know - but most importantly - and here is the key - they don't care what gas you use. They do care that you think they know though.
Old 05-25-2002, 02:12 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by sharky
How would you suggest I supply concrete proof?
like I said you have no proof, so why should anyone believe you??? you say go ask a chemical engineer, yet you are the one whos making the argument, so I'm asking YOU for proof!!! but I didn't expect you to have any so I don't see why I'm even pursuing this....
Old 05-25-2002, 02:17 PM

if you read our owners' manual it states to only use 91+ octane in our car if I remember correctly for the 92-94 SE VE30DE equipped cars, however if you cannot afford the 92-93 octane gas at least do 89 because I ran 87 octane once with no choice as they wer out of 89, and 92 for some odd reason when i was there and my car ran like total junk!

Hope I am not repeating a ton of people by saying this, I just failed to read through everyone's posts first! SOrry!
Old 05-25-2002, 02:21 PM

DA-Max
I already asked you - but you didn't reply - How do you expect me to supply proof? You didn't answer of course.
I told you how to verify the info with academic authority.
I don't give a crap what you believe. Those who are intelligent enough, will at least accept the possibility that I am correct and make an independent effort to verify.Others will continue to wallow in hearsay and their own reluctance to learn that complex issues don't have simple answers.
Old 05-25-2002, 03:06 PM

Old 05-25-2002, 03:49 PM

[B]DA-Max
How do you expect me to supply proof?

[B]
Sir,
People don't make arguements without facts to support what they say. If you're willing to say this grade gas is better than another grade of gas then you should have some sort of reason and evidence supporting your reasons. Otherwise, you're basically blowing smoke out of your ****. The people here really don't like **** smoke, they like facts.

Those who are intelligent enough, will at least accept the possibility that I am correct and make an independent effort to verify.
Sir,
Please don't tell us to verify if what you say is true. You should have done that before you said anything. You are responsible for your words, not us.

Good day sir.
Old 05-25-2002, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Sudesh

Sir,
People don't make arguements without facts to support what they say. If you're willing to say this grade gas is better than another grade of gas then you should have some sort of reason and evidence supporting your reasons. Otherwise, you're basically blowing smoke out of your ****. The people here really don't like **** smoke, they like facts.

Sir,
Please don't tell us to verify if what you say is true. You should have done that before you said anything. You are responsible for your words, not us.

Good day sir.
objection your honor. jk
Old 05-25-2002, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by matt1sd

objection your honor. jk
Objection denied! Now sit down or I'll hold you in contempt!!
Old 05-25-2002, 06:15 PM

87 vs 89 vs 91 vs 93

Well, everyone else is kicking in, so here's my gas knowledge:

I have a 91 SE (auto). When I first bought it, it had 50,000 on it. No idea what octane was run for those.

I started out all gung-ho with 93 octane (or 92 depending on station), and continued this way for the first year or so. Car always ran great... no problems.

Then I lapsed into 87 octane because I was trying to save money, driving in the city all the time, lots of idling... much cheaper per tank.

I never really noticed the difference in power until I filled up with 93 again one day. Then I'm like... whoa!!! this car moves!!! I always used 93 for trips because I knew I got better gas mileage, and didn't mind the added expense for a tank or three.

87 is cheaper. I've had no problems because of it. 92/93 do make my SE run better, and do increase my fuel mileage. I currently have 150,000 on the car, and have only replaced the rotors once, the power steering pump, and 2 y-pipes.

The argument here may just be personal preference. I've used both high and low octane, and see the advantages to both.

-Seth
Old 05-25-2002, 06:28 PM

Re: 87 vs 89 vs 91 vs 93

Originally posted by Pseudopods
Well, everyone else is kicking in, so here's my gas knowledge:

I have a 91 SE (auto). When I first bought it, it had 50,000 on it. No idea what octane was run for those.

I started out all gung-ho with 93 octane (or 92 depending on station), and continued this way for the first year or so. Car always ran great... no problems.

Then I lapsed into 87 octane because I was trying to save money, driving in the city all the time, lots of idling... much cheaper per tank.

I never really noticed the difference in power until I filled up with 93 again one day. Then I'm like... whoa!!! this car moves!!! I always used 93 for trips because I knew I got better gas mileage, and didn't mind the added expense for a tank or three.

87 is cheaper. I've had no problems because of it. 92/93 do make my SE run better, and do increase my fuel mileage. I currently have 150,000 on the car, and have only replaced the rotors once, the power steering pump, and 2 y-pipes.

The argument here may just be personal preference. I've used both high and low octane, and see the advantages to both.

-Seth
By jove methinks the case is won!!!
Old 05-25-2002, 07:52 PM

Sir,
People don't make arguements without facts to support what they say.

RIGHT

If you're willing to say this grade gas is better than another grade of gas then you should have some sort of reason

I LISTED MANY REASONS - OR DIDN'T YOU NOTICE?

and evidence supporting your reasons.

EVIDENCE? - I SEE NO NEED TO CONVINCE YOU. ARE YOU LIKE SOME SORT OF JUDGE ON HIGH OR SOMETHING? EVIDENCE? LOL. BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT.

Otherwise, you're basically blowing smoke out of your ****.

IM SHARING WHAT I KNOW TO BE TRUE.TO BE HELPFULL TO OTHERS.WHAT IS THE MOTIVATION FOR YOUR LAST POST? TO BE HELPFULL? NOT.

The people here really don't like **** smoke, they like facts.

I GAVE WHAT I KNOW ARE FACTS (AND REASONS). IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH THEM WHY DON"T YOU SUPPLY REASONS TO SUPPORT YOUR OPINION LIKE I DID. AT LEAST THEN YOUR POST WOULD HAVE SOME USEFULL CONTRIBUTION TO CHEW ON.

Sir,
Please don't tell us to verify if what you say is true.

I DIDN'T TELL YOU TO DO ANYTHING! I SAID YOU COULD TALK TO CHEMICAL ENGINEER. DUH?
HOW ELSE WILL YOU KNOW FOR SURE? WHY TAKE MY WORD FOR IT?
OK - DON'T MAKE ANY EFFORT TO VERIFY WHAT I SAY FROM AUTHORITATIVE SOURCES. STAY IGNORANT.

You should have done that before you said anything.

BEEN THERE -DONE THAT.

You are responsible for your words, not us.

YES, I AM RESPONSIBLE TO NOT TELL LIES AND MISINFORMATION.
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE (NOR DO I CARE)FOR WHAT YOU ULTIMATLY BELIEVE.

Good day sir.
Have a good day yourself there old buddy old pal old friend.
Old 05-26-2002, 01:54 AM

The old octane discussion

It seems as everyone's car is different. My 87 max would ping on 87 octane with more than 1 passenger with the AC on. I seen the best results with 91+ octane (I had advanced timing and other free mods). My uncle runs 87 octane in his 91se and it has over 200k miles, plus runs pretty well. One thing is for sure with extra weigh you'll lose effiecency with 87 octane vs 89+. I checked my uncle's timing and it was running at 12*BTDC, stock is 15*BTDC. I didn't bump it because he claims its easier to run regular than mid or super LOL. If anyone runs regular unleaded check your base ignition timing and see if its been retarded over stock setting.
What does this mean, 87 "should" be ok if there isn't any pinging or detonation under load. But then again it would take a 30 cent difference from 87 octane to offset a 1mpg gain with 89+ octane.
Old 05-26-2002, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
yeah I think the VE is premium only(89+)
Yeah, my 90 GXE manual says to use 89. But if your manual says to use something different, go for it. They're so over cautious about that kinda stuff they wouldn't possibly recommend it if it would hurt. I mean jeez, like nismo1989 said:

It also says in my driver's manual not to start and stop the car and not to drive in stop and go (city) traffic because it's excessive wear on the engine.
Higher octane has better knock-reduction properties, but once you get to a high enough octane rating, the anti-knock principles are going to start making little to no difference at all. Just go with whatever feels the best to you while you're driving. If two feel the same, go for the cheaper octane rating.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:59 PM

I used 87 in my 1987 SE and never had any problem. I sold it at 237,000km. I used 87 in my 1995 GXE and sold that one at 239,000km. Never an engine problem with that one either. I'm using 87 in my 2002 GLE and i'm sure it will be the same. If there is no pinging, there is no problem.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Consistent use of 87 octane

I want you to stop what your doing and think about this for a second:

Who gives a sh*t what you have tolerance for?

The fact is most of these guys here have been here long before you. Until you earn some status or get more known go blow your fart somewhere else. There's a whole lot of knowledge to be aquired when it comes to cars and no one should be blamed because they happened to know little about one area.

STFU newbie.
I may be a newbie, but I sure as hell know more than 90% of the ricers who need a skyline body kit. The length a person has been here or the number of posts they make doesn't correlate with what they know. Not long ago were you asking about the illumination wire on your head unit...
Old 06-06-2002, 01:14 AM

got bad crappy

performance and mileage.. @ 260+ on a whole tank of 87 octane. best feeling and mileage was 93 octane sunoco getting 330+ with a/c
Old 06-06-2002, 05:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Consistent use of 87 octane

Originally posted by White93SE

I may be a newbie, but I sure as hell know more than 90% of the ricers who need a skyline body kit. The length a person has been here or the number of posts they make doesn't correlate with what they know. Not long ago were you asking about the illumination wire on your head unit...
Then maybe you should leave here and go try and show up those ricers with the skyline kits... stop tryin to be a bada$$ and act like you know everything and can discredit other people's opinions/experiences.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:50 AM

I have an idea - use whatever gas you like to use. There is plenty of information out there to determine your own opinion. If you like regular, then use it! If you like premium for whatever reason, use it! If you like pure f'n alcohol for whatever reason, use it!

Bottom Line - Who cares what someone else uses in their car, worry about what you use in your own car.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Consistent use of 87 octane

Originally posted by nismo1989

I have NO2.

Even when my car was stock it would run worse on 87 octane. I have had mechanics tell me not to use 87 octane. Do you use gas that contains ethenol? I don't care what the manual says, it was written by people who never drive the thing. It also says in my driver's manual not to start and stop the car and not to drive in stop and go (city) traffic because it's excessive wear on the engine. I don't listen to that either...
My technician is one of the top ten Nissan Techs in the country (He is top in the North Central Region). He said that while it's better to use the higher octane, 87 won't hurt it.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:59 AM

Re: Re: Consistent use of 87 octane

Originally posted by max88q

One of my friends consistently used 87 octane and the sludge built up in the engine so much that she had to get a whole new engine in her car. Not too much of a good Idea if you do consistently use fuel system cleaner.
It's not so much the octane that causes that, as it is the quality of the gas. I was told by my tech (again one of the top ten in the country) not to use BP gas. That's just my two cents.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:08 AM

SO you use 91 and ONE of your injectors died. So what? Do you think they supposed to last forever? The point is that cheap gas will help you to replace them ( and other parts ) more often. Get it? And as I said its not just the octane level - it's other quality considerations as well. You don't seem to comprehend my points very well!
How would you suggest I supply concrete proof? Why don't you go ask a chemical engineer if what I say is true? You'll see. Don't expect some auto mechanic to tell you what is the best gas to use for your car. To tell you the truth - they don't really know - but most importantly - and here is the key - they don't care what gas you use. They do care that you think they know though.
Whoa there, Buddy. If a man has been repairing cars since he was 12, i think he will notice when cars using certain kinds of gas fail before others. If your mechanic is experienced, he will know what kinda gas to use. As far as chemical engineers go, they can tell you what is in the gas and what is not. They cannot, however, tell you how it will affect your engine.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:12 AM
OG and counting...

When I had my VG, I would use 89 normally. Sometimes, I would switch to 93. Normally, I use Mobil or Shell.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:20 AM

OK - here is my suggestion to all you 85/87 octane lovers.
Everybody who has a Maxima ( any year any engine ) should use the cheapest lowest octane gas they can get their hands on. You know the type of stations - the ones that sell the gas that has been made at refineries with real low cost operating budgets. Ya - refineries that don't really get ALL the impurities refined out of the gas. Ya - the type that don't put any cleaners or conditioners in the gas. Ya - the type where all the equipment is so old and rusted and the staff so underqualified that sometimes the gas even has some water in it.
Ya - the cheapest gas around. Thats what you should use in your beloved Maxima.
This way Nissan will make more money on selling fuel system and engine parts and they might be able to lower their prices on new models.
That's good - cause I gonna buy a 2003 model soon.

I suppose your the same people that think that a $49 sound system is
all you really need. Sure - You been listening to it since you was 12 years old. Still works and never had a problem with it. Why should you spend more?
Why do you think there is 90+ octane gas available all over the place.
OH, I guess it's just for the ferraris and other high compression engines out there. Ya there's millions of em all over. Right.
And also for the suckers who just wanna pay more for their gas when there is no real benefit for paying more. Ya right - there are at least 100 million of those in North america alone. Right.

Use whatever gas ya want - I don't give a crap.
And don't forget that when there is a starting/performance/hesitation/heat/smoking/carbon buidup/varnish buildup problem.Check here for a perfect example...... http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=125936 It's not the crappy gas you've been using. It's something else. It's never the gas you've been using because then you would look like a tightwad fool. That won't be allowed to happen - RIGHT?
Old 06-06-2002, 11:16 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

did you find any proof yet...I was guessing you gave up since youy never had any to begin with?? just wondering.

OK - here is my suggestion to all you 85/87 octane lovers.
Everybody who has a Maxima ( any year any engine ) should use the cheapest lowest octane gas they can get their hands on. You know the type of stations - the ones that sell the gas that has been made at refineries with real low cost operating budgets. Ya - refineries that don't really get ALL the impurities refined out of the gas. Ya - the type that don't put any cleaners or conditioners in the gas. Ya - the type where all the equipment is so old and rusted and the staff so underqualified that sometimes the gas even has some water in it.
Ya - the cheapest gas around. Thats what you should use in your beloved Maxima.
This way Nissan will make more money on selling fuel system and engine parts and they might be able to lower their prices on new models.

I suppose your the same people that think that a $49 sound syatem is
all you really need. Sure - You been listening to it since you was 12 years old. Still works and never had a problem with it. Why should you spend more?
Why do you think there is 90+ octane gas available all over the place.
OH, I guess it's just for the ferraris and other high compression engines out there. Ya there's millions of em all over. Right.
And also for the suckers who just wanna pay more for their gas when there is no real benefit for paying more. Ya right - there are at least 100 million of those in North america alone. Right.

Use whatever gas ya want - I don't give a crap.
And don't forget that when there is a starting/performance/hesitation/heat/smoking/carbon buidup/varnish buildup problem. It's not the crappy gas you've been using. It's something else. It's never the gas you've been using because then you would look like a tightwad fool. That won't be allowed to happen - RIGHT?
Old 06-06-2002, 11:32 AM

I will not supply proof to you for this simple reason........

I don't give a crap what an ignoramus like you ultimatly believes.

Is that clear enough?
Old 06-06-2002, 11:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: Consistent use of 87 octane

Originally posted by jim90gxe

Really and why is that?
IF your manual says to use 87.. use 87. There is no reason to go premium on a VG unless you've advanced your timing or have gotten boost.
When I first got my 90gxe I used 93 premium exclusively. I then realized how ridiculous it is and I switched to 87. I've been using 87 for 3 years on a car with 200k+ miles with 0 problems.
I agree. I have a stock 89 VG with 195,000 miles. I've never used anything other than 87 octane... no engine problems.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:41 AM

I will not supply proof to you for this simple reason........

I don't give a crap what an ignoramus like you ultimatly believes.

Is that clear enough?
He is no ignoramous, I assure you. I believe what you say about higher octane gas being better for your car becuase I live by that philosophy, but DA-MAX's opinion does not make him an ignoramous. He is a smart guy who has contributed a lot to the better of this forum and if you do a search for informative usefull threads he is involved with 90% of them in some constructive way.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:44 AM

Well - one would think that if he is so knowledgable that he would know about the benefits of using quality fuels. I guess he can't know everything.
Does he recommend using the cheapest engine oil too?
What about tires? Does he recommend using the cheapest
tires too? Why not? They work just fine. Never had a problem with them. More expensive tires are just a waste of money. Ya - right!
Old 06-06-2002, 12:33 PM

Well - one would think that if he is so knowledgable that he would know about the benefits of using quality fuels. I guess he can't know everything.
Does he recommend using the cheapest engine oil too?
What about tires? Does he recommend using the cheapest
tires too? Why not? They work just fine. Never had a problem with them. More expensive tires are just a waste of money. Ya - right!
All of those things do depend on your driving habits. You have to weigh the economy vs. the practicallity. My tires are $1200 to replace, and that is rediculous for the car I drive. I can safely get the same performance out of my car with a set of $600 tires, half of the cost. I drive hard so I use 93+ octane. When I use the nitrous I fill my tank 1/4+ with 116 octane and the rest with 93. When I take road trips I fill it with 95 octane. When I'm in the city I use 93, and at the least 89 with my timing retarded to stock (15 degrees). I use Pennsoil synthetic because after 5K mi.+ it still is golden brown on the dipstick. I use K&N oil filters becuase I took apart a fram and it was filled with shredded paper. Some people say I'm dumb (my dad included) for spending the extra money and that is fine. I say that preventitive maintenance doesn't cost, it pays. It works well for me because I drive my 12 year old car like I bought it new yesterday.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:34 PM

... as far as what DA-MAX said, I respect his opinion regardless of whether or not I agree with it becuase he has contributed so much of value.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:58 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I never said using higher octane fuel is a waste it has its ususes for certain cars and certain situations! but you have to realize in everyday driving situations 87 octane is the manufacturers suggested octane. I ask for proof because you are refuting the manufacturers suggested octane rating...thus you are saying the manufacturer is wrong....and you feel that you don't need proof to refute the damn manufacturer....whos the ignoramus??? like I said find me proof...until then I'd perfer to stick with Nissan's suggested rating rather then some nobody with a big mouth who claims this and that yet can't back **** up.....I'm done....
Old 06-06-2002, 01:14 PM

man, how long is this gonna go on for? both sides have their proof (or lack there of) of what type of gas to use. we could go on for years beating this subject into the ground, which we almost have. (this thread is going on almost 6 pages ) but anyways, i think its up to the owner to decide on which gas to use. frankly, the only difference that i can tell between 87 and 91 (91 is the highest here in san diego) is that i get a little better acceleration out of the 91, but otherwise i cant tell the difference. i get the same mpg on both. my dad gets on my case to use 91, most of the time i use 89, which is a compromise between high octane and price. and its also hard to go with the higher octane out here because the avg price is like $1.75/gal for 91. so im not taking sides. thats just my $.02.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:23 PM

I think you meant to say 'cuz' instead of 'cause', but I could be wrong.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by Mikey P

I think you meant to say 'cuz' instead of 'cause', but I could be wrong.
How about "because". lol