3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

road test

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 07:24 PM

road test

i am taking my road test in about 10 days. im only 16. can u expert drivers give a rookie some tips? so far i have been practicing with my permit in my dads 91 se.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dont forget to put on your seatbelt. You might be used to your dad's automatic seatbelts.
Old 05-23-2002, 08:43 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

well its been 15 years since I took mine but here is what I would look for if I was giving the test.

1. put seatbelt on.
2. always check your mirrors.
3. always signal if your turning.
4. no tailgating.
5. obey all posted speeds.
6. dont fool with the radio.

I am sure there are some more I will come up with later but thats what I am thinking of right now.

My vehicle at the time was a fixer upper 1960 Chevy truck and I didnt want to drive that or my dads van so I used my Grandfathers old Grenada. The car hadn't been driven in a while and when I tried to crank it to take the test I flooded it and was embarrased but the officer just said keep your foot down (I knew to do that but was nervous and didn't until he told me to)

Lucky for me it was about to rain and they don't let you do the test in the rain here so he just had me take the block and that was it. No parallel parking or much of a drive...just around the block.
I say lucky for me I would have passed anyway because I had been driving for a while before I took the test (good old country back roads )

Anyway good luck and be careful.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:15 PM

do a burn out .. they like that S

yea.. I'm sure you hear everything about going slow and being careful.. being careful is one key the other key is NOT going slow... most ppl fail their road test because there to hesitant or just scared.. show the person giving you the test that your not afraid to drive. I don't mean go fast..* never ever go above 30*, 20 is a good test taking speed
have fun! lol
good luck...... its EZ...... you'll pass
Old 05-23-2002, 11:06 PM

Just be calm and do everything the tester asks. And check those blind spots, my brother failed his first driving test just for that!

Old 05-23-2002, 11:55 PM

I don't know about where you are but in RI everything in the car must be perfect. You must have the Insurance,Registration,Inspection all ready for when the tester gets in the car. I watched two people ahead of me get turned away becuase the insurance or registration was not in the car. If you have power belts make sure they both work,ect.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:04 AM

another important thing is ALWAYS drive on the right side of the road. you may think its a one way street when in reality its two-way and you're screwed cuz you're driving on the wrong side. So unless yer taking this test in england, i suggest u always drive on the right.

also - you may wanna tilt the right side mirror downwards so when you parallel park you are able to see the curb.

and keep the speed between 20-25.
Old 05-24-2002, 07:03 AM

Well, unless you're lucky like me and bring a 3/4 ton 5spd pickup with a low gear ratio to a DMV with roads barely more then dirt....
They get REALLY nervous if you back up with your mirror... Even if you know how
And check your tires... In case they don't ask, check your blinkers, too, make sure they work, all your lights, etc...
Ermm... Best piece of advice:
Just relax... Have a J first if you need to, but just stay calm, it's really not that hard.
Old 05-24-2002, 07:11 AM

good Advice

Bring the J with you, the officer giving the test will want some too. That way you can both laugh when you fail to stop at the sign, or when you realize you are only going 10mph.
Good Luck
Old 05-24-2002, 07:27 AM

Some tips I can give you that helped me out are:

1. Don't brake hard.
2. Always check your mirrors.
3. Move your eyes in a figure 8 pattern. That being, Check the road in front of you, look at your rear view mirror, then look at the right side of the road, on the way back to form the 8, check your speed, then back to the left side of the road, then the rear view, then to the right, etc. My test was given by a state trooper who noticed my eye movement.
4. Before you get in the car, do an external inspection of the car, and make the tester know what you're doing. I said "I'm going to check the wheels for any signs of damage, or anything that will impair me to drive." He seemed impressed and told me not to worry about it.
6. Have your hands at 10 & 2 at all times. That being imagine the steering wheel as a clock, put your hands on the number 10 and 2..heh They like that.
7. Obey the speed limit, They had me drive in a 25mph zone, I had traffic backed up quite a bit, I felt like a grandmother, but my mom's boyfriend said the trooper had his eyes glued onto the speedometer. The thing is, in that 25mph zone, there was a hill...both up and down...HEH, oh well...no problems
8. Always double check your mirrors and blind spots, especially doing 3 point turns.

Lucky for me I almost ran a red light and the trooper was like "****, that's my fault son. Don't worry about it, I forgot to tell you to turn right there." So I had to brake hard, but not make it seem like I was....anyways, I turned right which was that 25mph zone. He made me just backup in a straight line next to the curb. However, where he told me to do it, there wasn't a curb Then do a 3-point turn, which be careful to always look for people walking, they like to walk in front of your car when you're on step 2 of 3...Then back into the 25mph zone, and through that light where he almost made me run it...then to the DMV, and I thought for sure I failed because of that damn red light, sure enough 5 mins later he handed me my temporary license. I was so happy..hehe

Just be calm, that's all. Of course you're going to be nervous. Try not to let them see that.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it

Good luck!