3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Crazy Windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 11:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Crazy Windows

Alright, for the last month or so my windows have been going nuts. Sometimes they wont roll up, sometimes they wont roll down. Sometime I have to push the down buttom for them to go up and vice versa. Recently, my drivers window has made screeching noises while going up slowly and then, as soon as I let off the button, it'll go right back down like I pushed the auto down button. I tried closing it all the way and then shutting off the car, but it would still go down with the car off. Now, the drivers side window won't go back up.

So, do I need a new regulator or a new switch? Or should I just go in and clean the switch because I'm assuming that the connections are a little messed up.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:12 PM

Re: Crazy Windows

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109
Alright, for the last month or so my windows have been going nuts. Sometimes they wont roll up, sometimes they wont roll down. Sometime I have to push the down buttom for them to go up and vice versa. Recently, my drivers window has made screeching noises while going up slowly and then, as soon as I let off the button, it'll go right back down like I pushed the auto down button. I tried closing it all the way and then shutting off the car, but it would still go down with the car off. Now, the drivers side window won't go back up.

So, do I need a new regulator or a new switch? Or should I just go in and clean the switch because I'm assuming that the connections are a little messed up.
It sounds like your switches are gone. My driver side door used to go up by itself and would not go down sometimes until I pressed the auto down button.

I replaced the driver side switch assembly and have not seen the problem since. Furthermore, replacing the switch assembly fixed a door lock problem I had where locking/unlocking the driver side door did nothing (all doors are supposed to lock/unlock when you operate the driver's side door with a key).

I dunno where you could get the switch, try someone parting out their max, junk yard or courtesy.

All that said, you may still need to replace the window regulator as well. It's about $50 - $65 depending on whre you get it from.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:21 PM

Re: Crazy Windows

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109

I don't know, dude. Sounds like the regulators to me. A screeching noise wouldn't be caused by a switch. Also, the power to the switches is shut off when the key is turned off, so your window couldnt have gone down with the key off unless it was something else...
Old 06-03-2002, 03:47 PM

well, i just drove some more and now, none of the windows work except for at their individual door switches, my window is still down

I'm ordering a new control panel pretty quick
Old 06-03-2002, 04:52 PM

Crazyness

My driver window went dowwn to and wouldnt go back up. it was crazy cause it rained and i park in the street. i had to get a new regulator.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:11 PM

UPDATE

Well, I ordered a switch from Courtesy Nissan and all is well. Thanks for your help guys.