3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Problems with Bose system....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2000, 05:22 PM

I have a 1994 Nissan Maxima. For several years now my Bose system has worked on and off. I am thinking that it is a short or something. Has anyone else had this problem???
If so, what should I do? The dealership where it was purchased in 1994 says it is not there problem.

Old 09-04-2000, 05:26 PM

The Bose amps are really really bad. They blow out after a few years of use and you cannot buy new ones. You can only buy rebuilt ones(doh). I would suggest taking them out and putting in a reasonably priced component system. Of course I know jack about stereos, so I can't really help you with any of that. My left, rear one has been gone for 2 years. I just unplugged the 2 wires going into the amp and run the rest of them. Maybe when I'm done Monsterizing my Max I'll put something else in. Hope that helps..
Old 09-04-2000, 05:33 PM

broken bose

Yeah, unfortunately problems are common. You may be able to get replacements here in the classified section. Many of us have replaced their systems due to problems and or taste for higher performance, so it is possible to get parts much cheaper than replacing the whole system.

It is tough to mix bose and non-bose so it is kinda an either/or proposition.
Old 09-04-2000, 06:15 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

i got the bose system in mine and a year or so ago one of the rear speakers went out. the bose amp that ran it blew itself up. best thing to do is to get a new non-bose system. i did that on mine. unfortunetly got jacked a couple days ago so i guess i'm in the same boat. and mixing the bose/non-bose is not good. tons of problems when i tried that
Old 09-05-2000, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by Maximamike
The Bose amps are really really bad. They blow out after a few years of use and you cannot buy new ones. You can only buy rebuilt ones(doh). I would suggest taking them out and putting in a reasonably priced component system. Of course I know jack about stereos, so I can't really help you with any of that. My left, rear one has been gone for 2 years. I just unplugged the 2 wires going into the amp and run the rest of them. Maybe when I'm done Monsterizing my Max I'll put something else in. Hope that helps..
but aren't the bose speakers in our maximas supposed to be the best,better than most aftermarket speakers,I was trying to get my new clarion pro audio receiver installed last week and the guy told me that my bose system was way better than my clarion receiver,that the system i had in there was top of the line, i never new knew you couldn't mix bose and non bose,these maxima se's can be real pain in the *** sometimes
Old 09-05-2000, 05:55 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

the front speakers in the doors are really nice. they have a custom tuned box that they go in. as for the back, i think they are pretty bad. they are the bottum mount speakers and they attach to all of this plastic crap which makes the speakers rattle. my bose head unit crapped out. the tape deck was all messed up and and it wouldnt pick up radio stations vey good, so i just got a new one.
Old 09-05-2000, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by James92SE
the front speakers in the doors are really nice. they have a custom tuned box that they go in. as for the back, i think they are pretty bad. they are the bottum mount speakers and they attach to all of this plastic crap which makes the speakers rattle. my bose head unit crapped out. the tape deck was all messed up and and it wouldnt pick up radio stations vey good, so i just got a new one.
doesn't that depend on who owned the max before you,because the guy I bought my 92 SE from was an older man from out in the country.Does anyone have good experiences with the bose systems in our maximas?
Old 09-05-2000, 01:38 PM
Greyboy

Why keep them then?

Okay, from the beginning, Bose is not very good; their home audio, however, is excellent. The Bose are unreliable and sound okay comaired to other cars. My Bose system burned out and the dealer told me that it would cost some ungodly amount to replace the amps that push the rear speakers. That's when I ventured out to find something better and cheaper. I installed a Pioneer PFH4100 Multicolor display CD deck unit $225 w/ 2yr waranty, 2 - 6.5" 150w. MB Quart's in the front $150, 2 - 6x9 3-way 150w. Memphis's in the rear $120, and one Kicker amp to bump them all really loudly with $250. Installation cost about $450 - $500 for a total cost of $1245......Hmmm, I never really added that up before! Ouch! Well, anyway, it sounds awsome and I can crank it up really loud and it doesn't distort at all! I love it and I'd do it all over again, but I think that I'd try to find a sale next time! Ouch! Believe me, replace the stupid Bose!

Old 09-05-2000, 04:02 PM

Knows Bose

Originally posted by platinumplus
Originally posted by James92SE
doesn't that depend on who owned the max before you,because the guy I bought my 92 SE from was an older man from out in the country.Does anyone have good experiences with the bose systems in our maximas?
I had Bose speakers in my Maximas for many years and never had any problem with the speakers or amps. the head unit in my 89 Se crapped out, but the speakers hold up well.

If the Bose works it sounds pretty good. The speakers are really basic. One-way- cloth cones. The amps are set up with kind of a EQ chip which is designed to trick the ears into hearing what is not really there, by empasizing mid bass and mis highs. (Hence no highs,no lows, it must be
Bose). For quality fidelity it can't match componant speakers where divers play lows and Tweets play the highs. Speakers are much more precise with higher order crossovers, with frequency response more closly matched with what they can do best.

I gutted my Bose for personal taste, but don't neccessarily write off the Bose cause its big $$$ to outperform Bose.
Old 09-05-2000, 06:34 PM
Chip

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kelly

Kelly, The Bose in my '93 worked perfectly for 5 years before occasional "shorts" began...then, no tunes. It was very irritating. My local mechanic learned that $3,000 would replace the amp. He also got lucky and used the existing wires to "bypass" the entry posts in the original amp....and it now works perfectly. I don't fully understand the repair, but the cost was minimal and it still works. Good luck to you. Chip/New Jersey.