3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Can not shift to DRIVE

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 04:54 PM

Can not shift to DRIVE

Don't know what happened to my car. I started the car and press the breck and try to put the gear into drive. The gear (automatic) won't move at all. The thing is that the little butten which I have to press inorder to shift the gear won't go down.

Any body has any idea what to look for. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2002, 04:59 PM

Re: Can not shift to DRIVE

Originally posted by Suya
Don't know what happened to my car. I started the car and press the breck and try to put the gear into drive. The gear (automatic) won't move at all. The thing is that the little butten which I have to press inorder to shift the gear won't go down.

Any body has any idea what to look for. Thanks.
Have someone press the brakes, if the brake lights don't come on check your "Brake Light" fuse. If your fuse is bad I'd suggest you find the root of the problem than just replacing the fuse.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:09 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

i have this same problem

I was told to check the brake pedel for some kind of switch that gos out hope this helps
Old 06-12-2002, 06:37 PM

Re: Re: Can not shift to DRIVE

Originally posted by Sudesh

Have someone press the brakes, if the brake lights don't come on check your "Brake Light" fuse. If your fuse is bad I'd suggest you find the root of the problem than just replacing the fuse.

Good luck.
I checked the brakes light. They are working fine. I think there is something else which is holding on to the shifter.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:39 PM

Re: i have this same problem

Originally posted by darrick
I was told to check the brake pedel for some kind of switch that gos out hope this helps

That is possible. Do you remember where the switch is located?

Old 06-12-2002, 07:13 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

i have never checked

but it is somewhere on the rod that holds the brake pedal,oh yea just remembered there is also a fuse that gos to that also check all the fuses
Old 06-12-2002, 07:16 PM

Re: i have never checked

When you press the brake to shift into drive, do you hear a click?
Old 06-13-2002, 05:32 AM

Re: Re: i have never checked

Originally posted by Sudesh
When you press the brake to shift into drive, do you hear a click?
No I don not hear the click sound. I know that before I have this problem, there used to be a click sound when I press the breck.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: i have never checked

Originally posted by Suya

No I don not hear the click sound. I know that before I have this problem, there used to be a click sound when I press the breck.
not to change the subject, but i hate that stupid little release button in front of the shift lever. there is no point for it. and when you have you hands full, its a biatch to try and shift it w/1 hand. but i think ive mastered that skill. but it would be a lot easier to not have it. i tried to see if i could take it out, but that would be super complicated. oh well, another one of the very few 3rd gen flaws...
Old 06-13-2002, 04:03 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: Re: Re: Re: i have never checked

Originally posted by matt1sd

not to change the subject, but i hate that stupid little release button in front of the shift lever. there is no point for it. and when you have you hands full, its a biatch to try and shift it w/1 hand. but i think ive mastered that skill. but it would be a lot easier to not have it. i tried to see if i could take it out, but that would be super complicated. oh well, another one of the very few 3rd gen flaws...
What I did on my GXE was take the bracket that has the lock on it and bend it out of the way. It is not the best thing to do if you have a child or something because there is no safety feature at all now because you can pull it out of part without the foot on the brake or using the little button. I did that when my little girl was just a baby but now that she is older I am going to fix it the right way this weekend.
Old 06-14-2002, 02:35 PM

My problem got fixed

There was a small pin like button at the buttom of my gear shifter. I pressed that one and I was able shift the gear from Park to Drive. After that it was fixed by itself. Now I do not have any problem changing the gear.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:08 PM

Had same problem.....fixed

There is a brake/shift lock button that has its own fuse. Your rear-lamps probably have a short(eventhough your brake-on lights work fine). The fact that this short occurs, screws with your brake/shift lock and might cause dimming or failure of internal lights and dash lights. Changing the fuses for my rear-lamps was just a temporary fix that would last anywhere from 1 minute to 3 days. Mechanic had to replace the terminal holding my rear lamp-light (charged $20?!?) and everything has been fine since (6 weeks). Again, my rear lights would not work at all, but the brake lights would activate.