3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

valve adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 01:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

valve adjustment

i was talking to a friend who knows more than i about doing some tune-ups on the '92 se i just got and he said i should do a valve adjustment but there was not any info in my haynes manual about it. i looked on the internet and found nothing. i am surprised there isn't the info about it. i called the dealership and they said it was very complicated but that is always what they say because they liek to feel important.
were they speaking the truth? is this something i shouldn't attempt. i think it needs it because i hear the smacking sound usually associatied with a valve adjustment. (the VTCs were replaced a year before i got it so i don't think that is it)
Old 06-16-2002, 02:26 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: valve adjustment

Originally posted by sublunary i was talking to a friend who knows more than i about doing some tune-ups on the '92 se i just got and he said i should do a valve adjustment but there was not any info in my haynes manual about it. i looked on the internet and found nothing. i am surprised there isn't the info about it. i called the dealership and they said it was very complicated but that is always what they say because they liek to feel important.
were they speaking the truth? is this something i shouldn't attempt. i think it needs it because i hear the smacking sound usually associatied with a valve adjustment. (the VTCs were replaced a year before i got it so i don't think that is it)
Last time I remember there's no valve adjustment on the VE engine. If you're sure the noise is due to valve clearnace maybe you might have a few collapse hyd lifter that need replacement. Some VTC's have been known to go bad within X amount of miles/years. When I rebuild my VTC's and changed all exh studs the engine was once again quiet.