3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Turbo anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 02:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Turbo anyone?

I am looking at trying to convert my 1990 Maxima to a turbo. I can get a hold of a garret t3 and the exhaust off a 300Z. It will fit my engine, but I want to know what else I am getting myself into if I do it. If anyone has any insight please respond.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:08 AM

when you say exhaust do you mean cat back or exhaust manifolds? you have the t3.. you will need the manifolds if you dont already have them.. turbo back exhaust from a z31 will not fit the max...

you will need larger injectors.. you could use z31 injectors but they will be max'd out at around 400hp.. get an ECU programmed from JWT. get the oil lines from a z31 but i would recommend just making new oil lines with braided stainless steel. custom downpipe and charge piping will need to be made.. i would also strongly recommend using an intercooler. upgrade your clutch if you are a 5spd cause the stock wont hold the power... if you are auto.. tough luck.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Turbo anyone?

Originally posted by mattmik
I am looking at trying to convert my 1990 Maxima to a turbo. I can get a hold of a garret t3 and the exhaust off a 300Z. It will fit my engine, but I want to know what else I am getting myself into if I do it. If anyone has any insight please respond.

Great idea. Wish we had thought of it.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:23 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere we go again
Old 06-26-2002, 06:12 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I think on this forum

Turbo should be *****
Old 06-26-2002, 07:08 AM

Why does everyone insist on asking questions about putting a turbo on their car in this forum? Over, and over and over again. Can I take a turbo off of a V-12 diesel semi, and hook it onto my 3.0L maxima? What exactly will that take?

Obviously if you even have to ask you don't know enough to do it, SO DON'T. What is necessary to put a turbo on your non-turbo charged car is relatively easy, IF you have a clue about cars. You need to change EVERYTHING!! EVERYTHING needs to be changed. EVERYTHING!! Hello can anyone hear me?? HELLO??? EVERYTHING!!! The turbo, the exhaust, the computer, the entire injection system from the fuel lines to the injectors themselves, the intake system, all your running gear from the clutch to the cv's, axles, etc. The brakes should be changed, the suspension gone through. EVERYTHING!!!! Have I made myself clear??

I can now only hope to the car gods that people will use the search function, and read this post. I haven't been hanging around this site much, but already I am starting to get Pi**ed about ppl saying "I can get this turbo, and this exhaust system, can I bolt this on this weekend for 400hp?".

Me wanna turbo. ooohhhh ahhhh. If you've never rebuilt an engine yourself DON'T BOTHER. Unless you have alot of money to pi** away to have someone else do the work.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:30 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by Maxima_Van_WA
Why does everyone insist on asking questions about putting a turbo on their car in this forum? Over, and over and over again. Can I take a turbo off of a V-12 diesel semi, and hook it onto my 3.0L maxima? What exactly will that take?

Obviously if you even have to ask you don't know enough to do it, SO DON'T. What is necessary to put a turbo on your non-turbo charged car is relatively easy, IF you have a clue about cars. You need to change EVERYTHING!! EVERYTHING needs to be changed. EVERYTHING!! Hello can anyone hear me?? HELLO??? EVERYTHING!!! The turbo, the exhaust, the computer, the entire injection system from the fuel lines to the injectors themselves, the intake system, all your running gear from the clutch to the cv's, axles, etc. The brakes should be changed, the suspension gone through. EVERYTHING!!!! Have I made myself clear??

I can now only hope to the car gods that people will use the search function, and read this post. I haven't been hanging around this site much, but already I am starting to get Pi**ed about ppl saying "I can get this turbo, and this exhaust system, can I bolt this on this weekend for 400hp?".

Me wanna turbo. ooohhhh ahhhh. If you've never rebuilt an engine yourself DON'T BOTHER. Unless you have alot of money to pi** away to have someone else do the work.
Dang you are like one of those quiet people that all of a sudden explodes and goes crazy werent you just saying cant we all just get along btw I am just messing with ya I totally understand.(had to say that last part so you dont go crazy on me lol)
Old 06-26-2002, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by Maxima_Van_WA

err... not really.. those are all necessities... not requirements.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by awsm66

Dang you are like one of those quiet people that all of a sudden explodes and goes crazy werent you just saying cant we all just get along btw I am just messing with ya I totally understand.(had to say that last part so you dont go crazy on me lol)
Don't let that guy near any guns.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:04 AM

We can all get along just fine once ppl don't do stupid things like take ppl's money and not give them their parts, and think that you can just bolt on a turbo, a new manifold, and away we go. I do understand that you don't HAVE to do all I listed, but then you'll put up messages asking why you only get 1 pound of boost and actually lose horsepower. Then after I explain general physics and how air flow works, and you tear everything down, and do it right, you'll be back on here in a few months asking why you keep blowing headgaskets, or why your piston rod snapped.

:-)

Just trying to save people some time, money and aggrevation.

No I don't have any guns.....yet. I'm goin out with my state patrol (ex Army Ranger) neighbor in a couple of weeks to go shooting though.

Just be nice, use the search tool, and remember before asking if something can be done, that with enough time, and enough money anything can be done. Even a small turbine engine can be put under you Maxima hood.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:33 AM

Re: Turbo anyone?

Originally posted by mattmik

Instead of an 'Attention New Members' sticky, we should have a 'Don't ask about turbo' sticky.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:44 AM

Works for me.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:23 PM

Just buy a 300zx.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:34 PM

Are we being reversed trolled ?
Old 06-26-2002, 02:00 PM

i agree dont ask about turbo should be a sticky even tho i asked and said i had one when i was new, but now we all no that i dont so just make a sticky and forget aboutit.
Old 06-26-2002, 02:40 PM

I'm gonna sticky something in a minute!
Old 06-26-2002, 04:52 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

seems easy

Originally posted by MaxManMo420
i agree dont ask about turbo should be a sticky even tho i asked and said i had one when i was new, but now we all no that i dont so just make a sticky and forget aboutit.
but there are stickys that tell people to SEARCH but most dont.
Old 06-26-2002, 04:58 PM

Re: seems easy

Originally posted by N34JZ

but there are stickys that tell people to SEARCH but most dont.
Because its easier to be lazy and just post without doing the work for yourself.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:44 PM

Which leads me back to "If you have to ask don't do it." cause if they are too lazy to do a search, they are too lazy to install it right.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:48 PM

I think that the odds are very, very good that someone on this board has a turbo Maxima already and has declined to mention it. No you idiots, not me.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:49 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by Pervis Anathema
I think that the odds are very, very good that someone on this board has a turbo Maxima already and has declined to mention it. No you idiots, not me.
hehe...there are a couple boosted third gens out there and a few in the making...

BTW...this thread now sucks
Old 06-26-2002, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Chris91SE
BTW...this thread now sucks
It was sucking when it was just a flash through a young mans mind..

Old 06-26-2002, 06:59 PM

What's really funny is the guys that claim to have a turbo but don't have any pictures of course. Then you see them asking a question about how to change spark plugs or something simple like that. These guys can't even change their own oil probably and yet they have a turbo, classic.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:42 PM

w0rd yo
Old 07-01-2002, 08:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by mykizism
w0rd yo
thats a nice looking car in your sigs is it yours?