3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Uneven wear on my tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 07:07 AM

Uneven wear on my tires?

It all started about 2 months ago when I noticed my front tires were wearing unevenly on the inside edge of the tire. My passenger side was nearly bald on the inside edge, so I went and had my alignment checked again. The garage told me that my alignment was a "tad bit" off and told me that the wear was due to that side being my "pulling wheel". He pointed to the wear on the driver side and said that it was nearly even between the two tires.
Well, I've gone 6K with my rears up front and now, they're unevenly worn too! What's the deal here!? These tires are not that old and I have always noticed my car pulling to the right, but I contribute that to the crown of the road surface. Is my garage BS-ing me or what?
PS I need to get new tires soon!
Old 06-28-2002, 08:12 AM

I had a similar problem on my 91. The rear drivers wheel's tow was always off. I would get it aligned and a couple weeks later it would be off again. I think that it also had something to do with the sway bar bushings. I noticed on mine that they were cracked and broken in some spots. You my want to take a look at your bushings and make sure they are still holding tight. Good luck though...I need 2 new tires too. My rims are waiting in my basement for 2 tires so I can put them on my new car.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:34 AM

Well, that was your rears right? I'm guessing b/c the front doesn't have an anti-sway bar. You think it's the tow on them? hmmm....I'll check the bearings out, that could be it or something. How easy are those to replace (the bushings)?
Old 06-28-2002, 09:11 AM

There is a sway bar in front too.
Old 06-28-2002, 11:53 AM

Doesn't show
Old 06-28-2002, 01:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

mine are wearing on the insides of the fronts also. i need new tires soon. as for now im going rotate them with the rears so more or less swap them.

i thought this was normal for our maximas? it seems like all the ones i see do the same thing. Better cornering or something?
MrGone
Old 06-30-2002, 04:20 AM

Problem solved!

I took my car in yesterday to replace the tires. I got some Bridgestone sport tires that are NICE (& inexpensive compaired to other brands). I told them what was happening so they checked out my car and turns out my ball joints were shot. The grabbed one of the front tires and just started wiggling it back and forth showing me what worn-out ball joints do to the wheels. Basically, if your tires wobble from left to right, your ball joints are shot. This would explain why my car always bounced down the road (even after I had the tires balanced), why I could never hold an alignment, and why my tires wore out so quickly.
After all was said and done, I got 4 brand-spankin'-new tires, a 4-wheel alignment, tires mounted and balanced, and a couple of new ***** for around $600
Old 06-30-2002, 04:39 AM

Re: Problem solved!

Originally posted by KCMax
I took my car in yesterday to replace the tires. I got some Bridgestone sport tires that are NICE (& inexpensive compaired to other brands). I told them what was happening so they checked out my car and turns out my ball joints were shot. The grabbed one of the front tires and just started wiggling it back and forth showing me what worn-out ball joints do to the wheels. Basically, if your tires wobble from left to right, your ball joints are shot. This would explain why my car always bounced down the road (even after I had the tires balanced), why I could never hold an alignment, and why my tires wore out so quickly.
After all was said and done, I got 4 brand-spankin'-new tires, a 4-wheel alignment, tires mounted and balanced, and a couple of new ***** for around $600
all that included labor?
how much were for the ball joints? i think i need to do mine but not quite sure on the price.
Old 06-30-2002, 06:18 AM

Re: Re: Problem solved!

Yeah, I was out the door for $600 + ~. The ball joints were $100 / side and my tires were somewhere between $55 ~ $65. Then the waranty for the tires $5/ tire, $45 for 4-wheel alignment, mounting and balancing were free, and I get to come back every 5K for the balance to be checked and tires to be rotated for free! What a deal (I hope)!
Old 06-30-2002, 06:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Problem solved!

Originally posted by KCMax
Yeah, I was out the door for $600 + ~. The ball joints were $100 / side and my tires were somewhere between $55 ~ $65. Then the waranty for the tires $5/ tire, $45 for 4-wheel alignment, mounting and balancing were free, and I get to come back every 5K for the balance to be checked and tires to be rotated for free! What a deal (I hope)!
cool so when i go to get the ball joints done i should expect something between the range (including labor) like 240-280 right?
Old 06-30-2002, 10:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem solved!

Just call around and ask about it. Prices differ from area to area. It'll probably be about that much though.