3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

ac conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 07:12 PM

ac conversion

yes, i used the search function. in one thread someone said converting an r-12 tp an r-134 would be $30. is that really all it would be for a 93 gxe? and can i bring it to any mechanic or is it one of those things that nissan has to do? thanks.
Old 06-29-2002, 07:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: ac conversion

Originally posted by Alix85
yes, i used the search function. in one thread someone said converting an r-12 tp an r-134 would be $30. is that really all it would be for a 93 gxe? and can i bring it to any mechanic or is it one of those things that nissan has to do? thanks.
Technically you can do it yourself. You have to change the fitting used to add coolant to the a.c system. With the new fitting, you can use r-134.

You need the equipment to recover the old freon. Freon is heavier than air, colorless, and odorless. If you breath enough of it in, it will settle in your lungs and kill you. Contact with the surface of your eyes will cause blindness. Freon recovery can only be done and authorized shops.

However, if you open the valve and close your eyes, don't breath, and wait about 45 seconds, you should be okay. Do this in an open area. I do not recommend or endorse this technique, but only offer it for general information.
Old 06-29-2002, 07:21 PM

thanks. but what about the general price if i bring it to someone? not sure i wanna do it myself.
Old 06-30-2002, 10:00 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Dude! Trust me when I tell you... YOU CAN DO THIS ONE YOURSELF!! Save your 'ducats' and the exponentially high per-hour mechanic fees, and buy the conversion kit (I bought one from Kmart, but they also have the same kit at Auto Zone and Wal-Mart/Sam's) for $30 or so bucks.

I did mine a couple of weeks ago, after Nissan told me that it'd be around $180 for them to do it. Now I cam make it snow in June inside my car!

Really, though... this is an easy one to do. Two fittings to replace (I'm sure it's the same for the GXE as it is for the SE), and follow Pervis' instructions (Pervis, wipin' out the ozone over there?? )and you should have no problems.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2002, 10:13 AM

before i do this, i'm stating in my will that my death was caused by the influence of nubiannupe. naw, jk. thanks. i really need this thing too, weather's gettin to hot to just keep the window open and feel the hot air blowing on me.
Old 06-30-2002, 10:18 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Yeah, I know the feeling... I just told everyone to quit talkin' in my car and that kinda stopped the hot air from blowing! Don't worry, though. I was kinda intimidated by doing it at first, but the instructions were really straight-foreward and it took me less than an hour to do it.
Old 06-30-2002, 12:25 PM

I just replaced my a/c hose last week. The conversion was very easy to do. (BTW, You are supposed to take your car to a certified place to recyle any remaining r12 if there's pressure left. I believe it is the law.) I also purchased a conversion kit for ~30$ at walmart. Let me just say be careful when handling the r134 cans. When I was charging the system the plastic thread from the adapter to the can stripped when I twisted the **** to pierce the can. The r34 sprayed all over my hands and my car. It's amazing how cheaply the adapter is made so you may want to watch out for that. The kit comes with 3 cans but you only need ~2.
Old 06-30-2002, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by nubiannupe
Dude! Trust me when I tell you... YOU CAN DO THIS ONE YOURSELF!! Save your 'ducats' and the exponentially high per-hour mechanic fees, and buy the conversion kit (I bought one from Kmart, but they also have the same kit at Auto Zone and Wal-Mart/Sam's) for $30 or so bucks.

I did mine a couple of weeks ago, after Nissan told me that it'd be around $180 for them to do it. Now I cam make it snow in June inside my car!

Really, though... this is an easy one to do. Two fittings to replace (I'm sure it's the same for the GXE as it is for the SE), and follow Pervis' instructions (Pervis, wipin' out the ozone over there?? )and you should have no problems.

Good luck!
They need to take those stupid kits off the shelfs.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:50 AM

Yes it is easy to screw on the adapters, but that is not all you need to do. You need to flush the system, replace the dryer (~$30), and add r134 compatible oil to the system. It may be a good idea to replace the o-rings too while you have everything apart. See this thread from an auto A/C forum.