3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

wipers are moving slowly at the highest setting.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 11:47 AM

wipers are moving slowly at the highest setting.

Yesterday whilei turned on the wipers to clean my windshield i used the water lever an water came out, fine. then when the wipers began its up swipe and down swipe the wipers seemed slower than usual. THen i move the wiper speed selector to the fastest setting and it was still slow. What could be the problem. The most resent mod done before this occured was a fog lights installation. Could it be a bad relay, fuse, motor, and is this gonna cost to repair. AS when i installed my fogs i attached the power wire directly to the battery, could that affect the wipers ? Thanks for anyhelp
Old 07-01-2002, 12:11 PM

Re: wipers are moving slowly at the highest setting.

As long as you didn't cut any of the wires for the wipers during the foglight install, your fine, the foglight install has no effect on the wipers. One thing I would check is the wire from the switch (in the steering column) to the wiper motor. Also check the motor itself, wiper motors are pretty strong for their size but they have been known to go bad on occasion.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:14 PM

Re: Re: wipers are moving slowly at the highest setting.

Originally posted by NCSUmax
As long as you didn't cut any of the wires for the wipers during the foglight install, your fine, the foglight install has no effect on the wipers. One thing I would check is the wire from the switch (in the steering column) to the wiper motor. Also check the motor itself, wiper motors are pretty strong for their size but they have been known to go bad on occasion.
Thanks, i thought that the fog lights had no effect on the wipers... As far as i can tell the turn on ok. its just that they are slow. how do i check the switch on the column
Old 07-01-2002, 12:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: wipers are moving slowly at the highest setting.

There are some screws beneath your steering column, take out these and remove the plastic casing. Inside you will see wire harnesses, The harness for the wiper switch should be on the right side. Im not sure of the color if the right wire though, check the schematics in a service manual, or maybe one of the max gurus on here can let you know. Anyways use a multimeter to see if the signal is being sent to the wiper when the switch is on the fast mode.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: wipers are moving slowly at the highest setting.

Sounds like your charging system is going bad to me. I had the same problem a year ago...Stereo cutting off...Wipers moving slow...Then Bam...Alternator dead. Go to AutoZone or somewhere like it and they will check your charging system for free. Your fogs could have put enough added strain on your charging system to overload it. You should also check the terminals on your battery and make sure they are completely on, and not cracked or anything like that.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: wipers are moving slowly at the highest setting.

Originally posted by D & S
Sounds like your charging system is going bad to me. I had the same problem a year ago...Stereo cutting off...Wipers moving slow...Then Bam...Alternator dead. Go to AutoZone or somewhere like it and they will check your charging system for free. Your fogs could have put enough added strain on your charging system to overload it. You should also check the terminals on your battery and make sure they are completely on, and not cracked or anything like that.
turn it could be my altinator.. i hope not. it could be that i lossen the teminals too much and not tighen them back up. But even when the fogs arent on the wipers come on slowly... also if i put the water on the wipers move much faster. dunno what gives
Old 07-01-2002, 09:25 PM

Don't feel bad my wipers died also today out of the blue after my roomate drove my car over the weekend GRRR...

Oh well I think mine just slipped off the rotarypice that is attached to the arm that move the wipers.

Jared