3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Whats the differenece.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002 | 07:36 PM

Whats the differenece.....

I searched for a good while and could not find the
difference between a Stillen high flow intake and
a regular K&N Filter. Which one will give the most
performance and sound without an aftermarket exhaust
system, or do you think it would be better to go with
a CAI. Thanks for your guys opinions.
Old 07-06-2002 | 07:49 PM

A Stillen "high-flow" intake is crap. It's just a cone filter mounted onto an adapter plate and bolted up. But oh wait, I forgot they have those mad hp gaining "velocity stacks", y0.

Any sort of "high-flow" intake you see for our cars is just a cone filter with an adapter mounted up. That's it. 1-2 hp at the absolute most. That's why I'm amazed anyone in their right mind pays $100+ for these.

I'm not sure what you mean by the regular K&N filter. Either you mean the stock replacement drop in panel filter (no sound or performance increase) or a regular K&N cone filter (basically a pop-charger/"high-flow" intake; 1-2 hp and cool sound).

CAI is by far the better choice. No question about it. A solid 7-8 hp gain, maybe more.

If you just want looks/sound, then make your own "high-flow" intake/pop-charger for 20 bucks. I'll show you how if you wanna know.
Old 07-06-2002 | 07:58 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

don't forget the beutiful hand-crafted "STILLEN" engraving on the top!!!! it makes spending the $120 all worth it!

Originally posted by James12345
A Stillen "high-flow" intake is crap. It's just a cone filter mounted onto an adapter plate and bolted up. But oh wait, I forgot they have those mad hp gaining "velocity stacks", y0.
Old 07-07-2002 | 12:13 PM

Well from what i have heard and read i think i will go with a warpspeedperformance CAI. I know i should also get the y-pipe for
the best performance but i am not all about the bees in the can sound. Thanks for the help