4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help w/ Sarona Kit Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 10:04 AM

Help w/ Sarona Kit Please!!

Whats up guys and few gals,

Heres the deal. I have a 96 se w/ a full Sarona kit. I installed OBX coilovers and KYB AGX's a couple of months ago. Anyways I got all the usual horrible noises out of the suspension that I have read about...the turning the wheel squeeq followed by the clunk pop (scientific) oh and when I go over bumps I get this thud noise only from the rear. So I took my car to Datsun Dynamics because I dont want to take the suspension apart again. So they called me today and said that the noise from the rear is from my Stillen exhaust and that the pipe needs to be cut and re-worked and the rear bumper cover needs to be shaved a littlethey said this because my suspension is soo stiff and this and that. They said they will do the exhaust work for about $275.00. This is not including my front end noises..I told them about the spiral wrap for the first few coils but of course they never heard anything like that..so if anyone has a Sarona Kit with a stillen exhaust can I get some help here. Let me know what you think these noises are ie. bad suspension parts or whatever.
Thanks a lot for any answers I may get.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:15 AM

Re: Help w/ Sarona Kit Please!!

Originally posted by JustMaxin96
Whats up guys and few gals,

Heres the deal. I have a 96 se w/ a full Sarona kit. I installed OBX coilovers and KYB AGX's a couple of months ago. Anyways I got all the usual horrible noises out of the suspension that I have read about...the turning the wheel squeeq followed by the clunk pop (scientific) oh and when I go over bumps I get this thud noise only from the rear. So I took my car to Datsun Dynamics because I dont want to take the suspension apart again. So they called me today and said that the noise from the rear is from my Stillen exhaust and that the pipe needs to be cut and re-worked and the rear bumper cover needs to be shaved a littlethey said this because my suspension is soo stiff and this and that. They said they will do the exhaust work for about $275.00. This is not including my front end noises..I told them about the spiral wrap for the first few coils but of course they never heard anything like that..so if anyone has a Sarona Kit with a stillen exhaust can I get some help here. Let me know what you think these noises are ie. bad suspension parts or whatever.
Thanks a lot for any answers I may get.
Anybody please?? I know we all have suspension upgrades and exhaust
Old 08-13-2002, 11:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Any luck??

I was just planning on getting the Sarona kit molded onto the Max within the next week. I already have the OBX/AGX setup. Did you ever find out what was wrong??
Old 08-13-2002, 11:49 AM

Re: Any luck??

Originally posted by BajaPanty_96SE
I was just planning on getting the Sarona kit molded onto the Max within the next week. I already have the OBX/AGX setup. Did you ever find out what was wrong??

NO!!! nobody ever replied. Do your OBX coilovers make a lot of nose when you turn the wheel?
Old 08-13-2002, 12:03 PM

Re: Re: Any luck??

NO!!! nobody ever replied. Do your OBX coilovers make a lot of nose when you turn the wheel?
After reading millions of posts about suspension problems it sound like you need to lube/grease your your front strut mount bearings. I just recently started having noises coming from the front....it's more of a grinding/squeking noise though. The rear end sounds like it's bottoming out everytime I hit a bump. I'm going to raise the car up and wrap the coils to see what it does. Did you reuse your OEM dust boots??
Old 08-13-2002, 12:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Any luck??

After reading millions of posts about suspension problems it sound like you need to lube/grease your your front strut mount bearings. I just recently started having noises coming from the front....it's more of a grinding/squeking noise though. The rear end sounds like it's bottoming out everytime I hit a bump. I'm going to raise the car up and wrap the coils to see what it does. Did you reuse your OEM dust boots??
No I dont even think I reused any dust boots. But when I turn the wheel I get the squeek noises followed by a loud "pop" maybe strut bearings? But the rear I really dont know I guess it could be the exhaust. Did you use coil wrap? where did you get it?
Thanks
Old 08-13-2002, 12:39 PM

Re: Any luck??

No I dont even think I reused any dust boots. But when I turn the wheel I get the squeek noises followed by a loud "pop" maybe strut bearings? But the rear I really dont know I guess it could be the exhaust. Did you use coil wrap? where did you get it?
Thanks
I e-mailed Brian(Cattman) earlier this morning to see if he's had any experience with KYB/AGX dust boot and coilover setup. Hopefully these dust boots will work with the OBX coilovers. I didn't get the spiral wrap yet I'm going after work today to try and find some. From what I hear it does wonders. The loud "pop" you hear is from the spring winding up. Everytime you turn the wheel your springs turns and since it's metal to metal contact the spring is forced to wind up until it fianlly gives way......"pop".
Old 08-13-2002, 01:15 PM

Re: Re: Any luck??

I e-mailed Brian(Cattman) earlier this morning to see if he's had any experience with KYB/AGX dust boot and coilover setup. Hopefully these dust boots will work with the OBX coilovers. I didn't get the spiral wrap yet I'm going after work today to try and find some. From what I hear it does wonders. The loud "pop" you hear is from the spring winding up. Everytime you turn the wheel your springs turns and since it's metal to metal contact the spring is forced to wind up until it fianlly gives way......"pop".

Yeah that is exactly what it is. I think it is my strut bearing also. .. well thats what Datsun Dynamics said.. So how can I prevent the springs from doing this? I dont think that the spiral wrap will cure my symptoms but it may help. Oh by the way they sell OEM spiral wrap at Courtesy Nissan
Old 08-13-2002, 02:16 PM

Ok I have some input that may help. I am not a Max professional by any means but when I put in my coilovers I was getting the same noises. I sprayed where the bearing meets the housing up under the wheelwell with WD40. This worked and the noise went away. You can also try using some sort of grease to lube these things up. Hope it helps. Now the second noise is your exhaust bouncing up and hitting your frame. What has to happen is the exhaust has to be rerouted so it doesn't hit anymore. I found this out the hard way. I ignored the noise and then one day the muffler was hanging down some 3-4 inches. Hope this all helps feel free to ask any more questions.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by 97GLEMAX
Ok I have some input that may help. I am not a Max professional by any means but when I put in my coilovers I was getting the same noises. I sprayed where the bearing meets the housing up under the wheelwell with WD40. This worked and the noise went away. You can also try using some sort of grease to lube these things up. Hope it helps. Now the second noise is your exhaust bouncing up and hitting your frame. What has to happen is the exhaust has to be rerouted so it doesn't hit anymore. I found this out the hard way. I ignored the noise and then one day the muffler was hanging down some 3-4 inches. Hope this all helps feel free to ask any more questions.
Hay thanks man for giving some sugestions!! The only reason why I did not believe the shop when they said it was my exhaust is because I put on my Stillen cat-back=no noise, put on KYY/AGX and OBX coils=noise, then sarona kit still the same noise. The shop said my exhaust was hitting part of the bumper too, but my noise occured when I did the suspension and I had NO kit on then when I put the kit on I had the same suspension related noises that I had before the kit.. so I dont know. Thanks again your sugestions are appreciated
Old 08-13-2002, 03:29 PM

OFF TOPIC... a little bit!

Hay thanks man for giving some sugestions!! The only reason why I did not believe the shop when they said it was my exhaust is because I put on my Stillen cat-back=no noise, put on KYY/AGX and OBX coils=noise, then sarona kit still the same noise. The shop said my exhaust was hitting part of the bumper too, but my noise occured when I did the suspension and I had NO kit on then when I put the kit on I had the same suspension related noises that I had before the kit.. so I dont know. Thanks again your sugestions are appreciated
Any of you guys know if the 4th Gen Sorona side skirts will fit the 5th Gen? I want those!!! Thanx..

Deac
Old 08-13-2002, 06:19 PM

i had the same problem with the stillen catback hitting in the frame EVERY time i went over a bump. i took it back to the shop and they fixed it... kinda. it still knocks when i go over a really bumpy road. i wonder if anybody knows if there are any more "heavy duty" rubber muffler mounts available? or if perhapes there is some kind of bushing that we could put between the b-pipe and the frame to tone down the knocking?
Old 08-13-2002, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by HondaHatin'max
i had the same problem with the stillen catback hitting in the frame EVERY time i went over a bump. i took it back to the shop and they fixed it... kinda. it still knocks when i go over a really bumpy road. i wonder if anybody knows if there are any more "heavy duty" rubber muffler mounts available? or if perhapes there is some kind of bushing that we could put between the b-pipe and the frame to tone down the knocking?
I had my muffler shop make me a custom b-pipe and weld it to my muffler and just when I thought he was going to hook up some rubber muffler hangers he started welding the metal hangars to the frame. This muffler will not move for nothing. He said that most muffler shops have done away with the rubber hangers because of the muffler's tendency to boune alot .....especially after installing an aftermarket suspension. If you want I can get more info for you....
Old 08-13-2002, 11:54 PM

ahhhh, that makes sense! thanks for the info. i guess i'll take it back again!
Old 08-14-2002, 07:14 AM

I had my muffler shop make me a custom b-pipe and weld it to my muffler and just when I thought he was going to hook up some rubber muffler hangers he started welding the metal hangars to the frame. This muffler will not move for nothing. He said that most muffler shops have done away with the rubber hangers because of the muffler's tendency to boune alot .....especially after installing an aftermarket suspension. If you want I can get more info for you....

OK thanks for EVERYONES input. I thought this thread was dead. Yeah more info would be appreciated. Do you think the noise came from the b-pipe or the muffler? When I took my car to the shop they said that they would have to cut the b-pipe right behind the muffler and then re-weld and re-work the muffler at a cost of like $320.. Thats why I did not have this work done.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:42 AM

OK thanks for EVERYONES input. I thought this thread was dead. Yeah more info would be appreciated. Do you think the noise came from the b-pipe or the muffler? When I took my car to the shop they said that they would have to cut the b-pipe right behind the muffler and then re-weld and re-work the muffler at a cost of like $320.. Thats why I did not have this work done.
Why is it so much?? What shop are you bringing it to?
I got a custom b-pipe made,welded onto the cat converter and muffler for $75.00 all in 45 min.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:43 AM

Why is it so much?? What shop are you bringing it to?
I got a custom b-pipe made,welded onto the cat converter and muffler for $75.00 all in 45 min.

Yeah I knew it was very high. I took it to a speciality shop called Datsun Dynamics.. maybe I will try Midas.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:55 AM

Yeah I knew it was very high. I took it to a speciality shop called Datsun Dynamics.. maybe I will try Midas.
I took mine to Rainbow Muffler....I'm not sure if you have one where you're at though. I'm out in Florida.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:57 AM

I took mine to Rainbow Muffler....I'm not sure if you have one where you're at though. I'm out in Florida.
Never heard of that? I am here in DC so we have like Midas or you know those stupid places. Thanks for your help I appreciated it