4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

need answer fast...about metal bracket near cat/ypipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 09:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

need answer fast...about metal bracket near cat/ypipe

I'm in the process of putting on the WSP test pipe. I got a question. The metal bracket that is in between the cat and the ypipe, is it necessary? I have a '96 Maxima. Anyway, I took the bracket off already. Can I just leave the bracket off? Thanks.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:52 AM

Nah just leave it off. If we're talking about the same bracket, (two bolts?) I took that one off when I put in my y pipe and left it off because there was nothing to connect it to aftwards. I think it was just there to support the extra heavy weight of the stock pipe.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:33 AM

I took everything off when the y-pipe came off. The heat shields and that bracket came off when I installed mine. I've had no problems. You'll avoid rattles if the pipe has nothing to get banged up on.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:14 PM

If you're talking about the bracket that is kind of squished between the y-pipe and the cat then YES, YOU NEED IT! I know a local guy who ruined the flex section on his y-pipe because the bracket was broken and the flex was carrying more weight than it should have been
Old 07-15-2002, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the input.

I didn't have time to the replies, so I just went ahead and took off the bracket anyway. I took the bracket off, turn on the car, no problems. Also, I think this bracket was the source of the noise problem that I had. I didn't take it for a test drive yet, but hopefully the clunking noise will be eliminated by removing this bracket.

Man, this was sure a dirty job. I'm filty, I look like I just climb down a chimney(sp?). Good thing I had on clothes that I don't care about getting dirty.

Since I was down there, I went ahead and wrap the flex section of my WSP ypipe with header wrap. This was the new lined flex section from WSP. It suppose to be better and eliminate the bees in the can. The noise I was getting wasn't really bees in the can, more like a buzzing sound. I wrapped it, and the buzz is gone.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but with the test pipe, the sound seem a bit more aggressive? Maybe it's just in my head, I don't know.

Overall, the install wasn't that bad.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:41 PM

Hey amigo you coming to Atalanta anytime soon, I miss you and Matt. The three musketeers the three black Maxes!!! , I left my car alone for now that wiring crap and that fat bill left me speechless. OOOOh well, I did spank a Prelude last night coming from Shadows place on I-285. , The weather out here is nothing like new orleans, it was cool two days ago all day and night.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yeah you can leave it off!
Old 07-15-2002, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by guido_sst
If you're talking about the bracket that is kind of squished between the y-pipe and the cat then YES, YOU NEED IT! I know a local guy who ruined the flex section on his y-pipe because the bracket was broken and the flex was carrying more weight than it should have been
I agree 100%. If you remove that, what's holding you're exhaust up? You have no additional support from the front of the Y-pipe (at the headers) until the support on the B-pipe (after the resonator). That means there is a huge section of exhaust with freedom to move, which puts undo stress on multiple parts.

With the freedom to move you run into the chance of your exhaust swinging against the frame. Or even an O2 sensor rubbing along adjacent parts.

The rubbing you heard was most likely comming from this bracket, but all that you need to do is bent the bracket so it doesn't bang against the frame. I think most people have had this problem and the solution was a simple fix.

On another note, many people recommend AGAINST wrapping the flex section. Do a search, you'll see why.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:00 PM

Hey Jaime, you know if I'll head to Atlanta at anytime, you'll be the first one I'll notify. Yeah, I wish you were still here too. Could you use your hand on a project coming up. Oh well, I'll tackle it myself. I also miss you surprising me by stopping by my house every now and then.

It's been hot and raining here lately. I swear, when I finish school, I'm out of here!
Old 07-15-2002, 01:11 PM

Well I already taken off the bracket, so I'm going to leave it as that. I did test it out when I was under there after I took off the bracket. I shook the whole ypipe, test pipe, and cat back exhaust, it seem to hold up pretty well. When I took off the bracket, it didn't seem like it's holding anything up. The bracket was held on by the bolts of the ypipe/test pipe and one rubber hanger. That's it. I have done a lot of shaking underneath lately. I did it with the bracket and now without the bracket, no difference that I could tell.

Btw, I'm sure it was the bracket that's the cause of the clunking sound. I did a short test drive and made some left hand turns(where I normally would get the noise)and the noise seem to be gone.

I brought my car to the dealer and left it there for two days. They couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from. Well, at least I'm certain now my strut mount, bearings, etc. are fine because they checked all of that. They didn't charge a inspection/checkup fee though. I can't complain since I don't have to pay. I thought they were going to charge me whether or not they could find the problem.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by breaux124

On another note, many people recommend AGAINST wrapping the flex section. Do a search, you'll see why.

Yeah, but if I don't wrap it, I would get the annoying buzzing sound. Even though it's wrapped, with the car still jacked up, I went underneath to listen to the flex section itself and still could hear the buzz, although it's much quieter now.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot

Yeah, but if I don't wrap it, I would get the annoying buzzing sound. Even though it's wrapped, with the car still jacked up, I went underneath to listen to the flex section itself and still could hear the buzz, although it's much quieter now.
I had the same problem with the 1st gen Warpspeed flex section (non-flex lined). It was a faulty flex section. Did you take a peak inside and make sure that it's not collapsing?

I remember how annoying that noise was. Sounded like I had a weedwacker under my car.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:59 PM

I had the same problem with the 1st gen Warpspeed flex section (non-flex lined). It was a faulty flex section. Did you take a peak inside and make sure that it's not collapsing?

I remember how annoying that noise was. Sounded like I had a weedwacker under my car.

I have the 1st gen WSP ypipe too. I bought their new lined flex section and had it weld onto the ypipe. Seem like the shop that did the welding didn't do a good job. The bad welding job was that obvious. I put header wrap on the two weld spot and the noise quiet down a bit, it was very loud before I wrap it. It sounded like what you said, like a weedwacker. I thought this suppose to be a better flex section? Hm...
Old 07-15-2002, 07:02 PM

I agree 100%. If you remove that, what's holding you're exhaust up? You have no additional support from the front of the Y-pipe (at the headers) until the support on the B-pipe (after the resonator). That means there is a huge section of exhaust with freedom to move, which puts undo stress on multiple parts.

I think these people still have their stock y-pipes . Everyone who has swapped out their own pipes would know that this bracket has nothing to attach to once you put the new one in. Plus the wsp/cattman weighs like less than half as much.

[edit]Unless you have stillen. They really include the extra bracket? I wonder if this is worth the extra $$$[/edit]
Old 07-16-2002, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by jerzeeMax

I think these people still have their stock y-pipes . Everyone who has swapped out their own pipes would know that this bracket has nothing to attach to once you put the new one in. Plus the wsp/cattman weighs like less than half as much.

[edit]Unless you have stillen. They really include the extra bracket? I wonder if this is worth the extra $$$[/edit]
Well I've done the Y-pipe install four times so I'm very familiar with that part of the car. The bracket I'm talking about goes at the Y-pipe/Cat junction and it DOES hold up that point. The bracket slips around the Ypipe and holds it up by the two rubber hangers

Look:
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megam...acket_grey.jpg

Maybe your thinking of something else, but the cat/Y-pipe bracket DOES hold up the pipe.

Here's more pics:
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megam..._installed.jpg
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megam...t_junction.jpg
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megam...eat_shield.jpg

Looks like its supporting the pipe to me??
Old 07-16-2002, 09:32 AM

A little update, I took off the header wrap that I put on the flex section. When I drove my car today, the car seem to lag or doesn't have the same power with the header wrap on. I'll just have to put up with the buzzing noise, it's not that bad, I have my stereo on most of the time anyway.

About the bracket, I'm going to just leave it off. The clunking noise is gone now. So the bracket was definitely the cause of the noise.

With the test pipe, it seem I could hear more of my exhaust more than when I had the RT cat. A bit louder and aggressive sound.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:18 PM

Well I've done the Y-pipe install four times so I'm very familiar with that part of the car. The bracket I'm talking about goes at the Y-pipe/Cat junction and it DOES hold up that point. The bracket slips around the Ypipe and holds it up by the two rubber hangers

Look:
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megam...acket_grey.jpg

Maybe your thinking of something else, but the cat/Y-pipe bracket DOES hold up the pipe.

Here's more pics:
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megam..._installed.jpg
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megam...t_junction.jpg
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megam...eat_shield.jpg

Looks like its supporting the pipe to me??
check this out...
http://greghome.com/images/Maxima%20...int_at_Cat.jpg
Old 07-16-2002, 12:19 PM

A little update, I took off the header wrap that I put on the flex section. When I drove my car today, the car seem to lag or doesn't have the same power with the header wrap on. I'll just have to put up with the buzzing noise, it's not that bad, I have my stereo on most of the time anyway.

About the bracket, I'm going to just leave it off. The clunking noise is gone now. So the bracket was definitely the cause of the noise.

With the test pipe, it seem I could hear more of my exhaust more than when I had the RT cat. A bit louder and aggressive sound.
how is the smell?
Old 07-16-2002, 01:02 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'll tell you what, I was there with Guido when we saw ShortChaz's flex section COMPLETELY torn and seperated because he didn't use the hanger. Without the hanger, the engine will put all the twisting and torqueing on the flex section especially at the flex welds. Dallas was there with us and he said that using the hanger was mandatory.

Fair Warning
Old 07-16-2002, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
I'll tell you what, I was there with Guido when we saw ShortChaz's flex section COMPLETELY torn and seperated because he didn't use the hanger. Without the hanger, the engine will put all the twisting and torqueing on the flex section especially at the flex welds. Dallas was there with us and he said that using the hanger was mandatory.

Fair Warning
Exactly! Running without that bracket tore the hell out of his flex section in less than 2 weeks.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

Fair Warning

Hm...that's not good. Great, I got to crawl back underneath to put the bracket back on. If I put the bracket back on, the clunking noise will be back. Which way do I bend it? Inward? When I shook that part around, I noticed it was banging against the passenger side frame.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:16 PM

Btw, I couldn't smell anything bad. I thought there was suppose to be a bad smell because of the test pipe? Hm...oh well, glad I don't have it.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:24 AM

Hm...that's not good. Great, I got to crawl back underneath to put the bracket back on. If I put the bracket back on, the clunking noise will be back. Which way do I bend it? Inward? When I shook that part around, I noticed it was banging against the passenger side frame.
When I had the problem with mine, it was on the passenger's side too. Since you already have it off right now, it'll be easier to bend. Bend the upper part of the bracket where the right angle is.
You might have to do this a few times, just keep bending it until it doesn't hit, it's pretty simple.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:02 AM

omg THATs the bracket u were talking about... if its the one in the pictures then hell yeah you'd better have it on. I thought you meant the much much smaller one a little further upstream. I used to get the rattling too, it chattered like crazy at ~5k, but after I bent it back I only get a slight rattle at 6k+ sometimes.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:06 PM

I just ordered my st8t pipe today from warpspeed 27.50 plus shipping now thats cheap!!!
Old 07-17-2002, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by JAY25
I just ordered my st8t pipe today from warpspeed 27.50 plus shipping now thats cheap!!!
Jay, since you have a 98, I assume you ordered one without the O2 sensor hole...right? I have a 97 and just want to be sure I get the right one...
Old 07-17-2002, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by mitch33x

Jay, since you have a 98, I assume you ordered one without the O2 sensor hole...right? I have a 97 and just want to be sure I get the right one...
Look here
http://www.courtesyparts.com/A32_O2-sensors.html

According to the diagram there are some 1997s that have the O2 sensor actually within the Cat. You should be able to simply look under your car and see if the O2 sensor is in the cat or if it's in the S-pipe behind the cat.

FYI: I have a 1997 SE and it's in the S-pipe.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:49 PM

Look here
http://www.courtesyparts.com/A32_O2-sensors.html

According to the diagram there are some 1997s that have the O2 sensor actually within the Cat. You should be able to simply look under your car and see if the O2 sensor is in the cat or if it's in the S-pipe behind the cat.

FYI: I have a 1997 SE and it's in the S-pipe.
Thanks, I have the O2 sensor in the S section, so I will get the test pipe without the hole...