4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

transgo vb mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 04:35 PM

transgo vb mod

could anyone who hased used the transgo vb mod tell me if it is worth it or not? also where to get it. does it basically do the same thing as dons? please help me out. thanks
Old 03-15-2002, 04:55 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

It's not the same. Do a search, ther ehas been lots of discussion
Old 03-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a freind who has that (he likes it) but it is hard to find an installer who will take on the job reasonably...the shops I called were not willing to even look at it...I cannot trust myself to do it.
Old 03-15-2002, 11:12 PM

Re: transgo vb mod

Similar, but not the same. I think everyone that has it says it's not quite as "aggressive" as Don's VB mod. That is, the shifts are softer, more like stock. Some people have gotten the Transgo and then switched to Don's VB mod if that tells you anything.

Originally posted by maxedout2k1
could anyone who hased used the transgo vb mod tell me if it is worth it or not? also where to get it. does it basically do the same thing as dons? please help me out. thanks
Old 03-16-2002, 07:39 AM

Re: Re: transgo vb mod

Originally posted by Shadow
Similar, but not the same. I think everyone that has it says it's not quite as "aggressive" as Don's VB mod. That is, the shifts are softer, more like stock. Some people have gotten the Transgo and then switched to Don's VB mod if that tells you anything.

I agree 100%. I have the transgo mod. It's not that aggressive at all. If I had to do it all over again, I would have done Don's VB mod. BTW Shadow, I saw you twice yesterday. Once at the Post office and the other running down Five Forks.
Old 03-16-2002, 08:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I heard the Don's VB doesn't go well with the ECU.

I mean, when Don recalibrates it to shift quicker and firmer, won't the ECU get confused?

Because it has the shiftpoints in it's memory, correct? So when the shifts come quicker, the ECU will not go well with the VB?
Old 03-16-2002, 08:37 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by blue96se
I heard the Don's VB doesn't go well with the ECU.

I mean, when Don recalibrates it to shift quicker and firmer, won't the ECU get confused?

Because it has the shiftpoints in it's memory, correct? So when the shifts come quicker, the ECU will not go well with the VB?
Um, no.

Th ECU does not get confused by the VB mod.
Old 03-16-2002, 08:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Then how about it being bad for the motor mounts and such? Since it's shifting harder?

I'm asking because I asked a couple of my local shops (who I don't trust all that much anyways) as well as several friends who have been working and tuning cars for a long time.

Everyone has been saying to keep away from Don's VB because of the concerns I just asked about: ECU confusion, shorter tranny life and damaging motor mounts due to harder shifts.

And yet, everyone on the board says it's perfectly fine.

Originally posted by mzmtg

Um, no.

Th ECU does not get confused by the VB mod.
Old 03-16-2002, 09:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: transgo vb mod

Oh, so you were the guy pulling in. I was trying to figure out who you were since I haven't seen your car around.

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

I agree 100%. I have the transgo mod. It's not that aggressive at all. If I had to do it all over again, I would have done Don's VB mod. BTW Shadow, I saw you twice yesterday. Once at the Post office and the other running down Five Forks.
Old 03-16-2002, 10:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Don's VB mod >>>>>

will actually help your tranny last longer. This is true because when a tranny shifts softer it actually builds up heat in the clutches which is very bad for a tranny. Just like slipping the clutch on a manual car is really bad becasue it wears out the clutch faster and builds heat, the shifts will be smoother though. So your friends that supposedly work on cars really do not know what they are saying about the tranny having a shorter life with Don's VB mod. God Bless.
Old 03-16-2002, 03:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Don's VB mod >>>>>

Ok, that answers the question about tranny life. Then how about the motor mounts? No damage there either, I'm assuming?

Is there any reason to get the TransGo shift kit then? If Don's is a better kit all around, what reason is there for anyone to get the TransGo kit?

Originally posted by JULIAN
will actually help your tranny last longer. This is true because when a tranny shifts softer it actually builds up heat in the clutches which is very bad for a tranny. Just like slipping the clutch on a manual car is really bad becasue it wears out the clutch faster and builds heat, the shifts will be smoother though. So your friends that supposedly work on cars really do not know what they are saying about the tranny having a shorter life with Don's VB mod. God Bless.
Old 03-16-2002, 03:10 PM

Re: Re: Don's VB mod >>>>>

Is there any reason to get the TransGo shift kit then? If Don's is a better kit all around, what reason is there for anyone to get the TransGo kit?
Thats why no one really uses the TransGo on the board here. I can't remember which thread, but there is an in depth thread on here from about 6 months ago about the transgo shiftkit, and its ungainly attributes. Just as long as you get a transmission cooler and the vb mod, it will be all the best for your tranny. As far as the motor mounts are concerned, well I wouldn't be concerned about those to any extent. Lots of org members have put lots of miles into their vb trannies and I haven't heard anything about motor mount damage as of yet.
Old 03-16-2002, 03:11 PM
dko
duck and cover

Ok, that answers the question about tranny life. Then how about the motor mounts? No damage there either, I'm assuming?

$$$

don's vb mod is $450 with a core swap. transgo is around $100 IIRC
Old 03-16-2002, 03:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Don's VB mod >>>>>

Originally posted by dko

$$$

don's vb mod is $450 with a core swap. transgo is around $100 IIRC
Who the heck is this Don everyone keeps talking about? and where do you find him?
Old 03-16-2002, 03:57 PM

Then how about it being bad for the motor mounts and such? Since it's shifting harder?

I'm asking because I asked a couple of my local shops (who I don't trust all that much anyways) as well as several friends who have been working and tuning cars for a long time.

Everyone has been saying to keep away from Don's VB because of the concerns I just asked about: ECU confusion, shorter tranny life and damaging motor mounts due to harder shifts.

And yet, everyone on the board says it's perfectly fine.

I can tell you it doesn't confuse the ECU or TCU as it should be called. Considering he has been spraying probably 100shot for the last 3 years on the same tranny I'd say it increases life. I do know that hard shifts won't break engine mounts, age will do that. They get old the rubber hardens and break.
Old 03-16-2002, 03:59 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....sgo+AND+better
Old 03-16-2002, 04:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Don's VB mod >>>>>

Originally posted by NATE98GLE
Who the heck is this Don everyone keeps talking about? and where do you find him?
http://www.mobiletek.net/
Old 03-17-2002, 10:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: transgo vb mod

Originally posted by Shadow
Oh, so you were the guy pulling in. I was trying to figure out who you were since I haven't seen your car around.

Yes sir, that was me. I saw you on Five Forks a little later. Do you live out this way? I live right on Lake Lucerne Road. I'd like to hook up with you and see your creation. I'm trying to catch up to you, but sounds like your car is in a different league.
Old 03-17-2002, 12:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Another question: about improving track times.

Although Don's VB isn't marketed as a "performance mod" persay, Don says that improved track times are a by-product of the quicker shifts.

However, from the posts of people that have installed Don's VB, it seems like nobody really has that much of an improvement at the track.

But with the TransGo kit, one member improved their times by .4 seconds: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....=transgo+track

So if one wanted to improve track times, shouldn't they go with the TransGo kit rather than spend the $450 on Don's VB?
Old 03-17-2002, 03:00 PM

from what I've seen on these boards, the VB mod doesn't improve track times. The TRANSGO is a reliable, basic mod that prolongs transmission life, but provides less wear and tear overall. The VB mod from Don involves redrilling and I believe leaving out some of the springs, and is much harsher in terms of daily driving. It's also a lot more money.

If all you're going for is to imporove your transmission life, it's up to you how much you want to spend.

People here suposedly haven't had related motor or tranny mount problems as a result, but the lack of decreased track times indicates that either the ECU can't keep up, or doesn't care at all.
Old 03-17-2002, 04:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If I'm not mistaken, isn't it the TransGo kit that involves redrilling? And Don's VB is a simple swap?

However, it's my understanding that both prolong transmission life and provide less wear and tear overall.

As for the ECU, mzmtg and Nismo87SE say that the ECU is not confused.

But if the TransGo and Don's VB are similar and both firm up the shift, shouldn't the ECU then not keep up or not care with the TransGo installed?

Originally posted by Lime
The TRANSGO is a reliable, basic mod that prolongs transmission life, but provides less wear and tear overall. The VB mod from Don involves redrilling and I believe leaving out some of the springs, and is much harsher in terms of daily driving. It's also a lot more money.

If all you're going for is to imporove your transmission life, it's up to you how much you want to spend.

People here suposedly haven't had related motor or tranny mount problems as a result, but the lack of decreased track times indicates that either the ECU can't keep up, or doesn't care at all.
Old 03-17-2002, 04:32 PM
Banned

Hey Lime I'm with you. As a matter of fact I am playing right now with the dropping resistor resistances to try and get a compromise between the max line pressure vs something we can live with, I am still experimenting but according to all the folklore quicker shifts mean better wear on the trans so I am trying to find a compromise between max line pressure and stock by trying different resistances. I have a whole bunch of 10w resistors of varying resistances that I am putting in series and parallel to try and find a compromise or even 3 or 4 different ones that you can switch to depending on how harsh you want the shift to be. Regardless of what turns out to be the best compromise I am still suggesting a Trans cooler because of the increased heat generated. More to follow.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:30 AM

The instructions on my Trans-go don't say anythiing about drilling, but maybe I'm blind. Getting old and all that.

It's up to you; probably Don's mod is easier to install, but a helluva lot more expensive for the same basic principle. If you can find a good tranyn shop that has installed the TG kits, then fine. I think overall they have the same purpose; one is merely a different feeling than the other. If someone can post pre- and post- VB mod times without ANY OTHER CHANGES showing an improved time, please correct me. I think with some other mods, any VB mod (Don or TG) will aid in speeding the time overall. But, in and of itself, the mod doesn't really change anything other than the wear on the tranny.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Could someone please verify which (in any) involves drilling? I am quite certain that Don's VB is a simple swap.

As for wear on the tranny, there are several responses in this thread that say that transmission life is increased, not decreased. JULIAN and Nismo87SE both say that transmission life is prolonged with Don's VB.

Originally posted by Lime
The instructions on my Trans-go don't say anythiing about drilling, but maybe I'm blind. Getting old and all that.

I think with some other mods, any VB mod (Don or TG) will aid in speeding the time overall. But, in and of itself, the mod doesn't really change anything other than the wear on the tranny.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:58 AM

Folks, I have the Transgo Shift kit. It does require drilling and changing springs and the like. I had the tranny shop do the entire thing when I had a total rebuild a couple of weeks ago. My personal feeling is this: From experienced members here, Don's VB mod is substantially more aggressive than the Transgo. If it makes the tranny last longer or not, I don't know. I know personally that both mod's are not just the simple things some people make them out to be. I was there with my mechanic every day my car was apart, I'm a little a*al when it comes to my baby, and I saw him with my tranny in a million pieces and he showed me what he was doing. BTW, my tranny mechanic, who has 21 yrs of only tranny exp., has told me that the transmission we have is inherently weak compared to the amount of power it has to support. I personally saw the "clutches" that my tranny got, and to be honest they looked pretty wimpy. Either way back to the point here, The transgo kit is very mild. My car has plenty of juice, literaly, and I'm actually not as impressed as I should be. It does shift quicker, but we are talking maybe in the hundreths of sec range, not anything you are going to go WOW about. If you are looking to bark seconds and launch strong, the Transgo is not the kit for you. If you are looking to get down the track quicker, then you should probably just boost your HP.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:18 AM

Well ... if this isn't FAQ material, I don't know what is.

Good discussion guys. (And no flames! Woohoo!)
Old 03-18-2002, 09:18 AM

Neither of them provides a noticable difference at the track.
Both are meant to simply save the transmission. Spend what you will; HP gain/time loss on the strip will come from other mods.

Hmmm, who DOES make a good transmission...wait...oh yeah...Tremec...the only good transmissions out there are aftermarket. Trannys are made by manufacturers to last only so long, and not take much added stress. C'est la vie. I don't think anyone make an aftermarket Max tranny.