4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Knock sensor is bad... or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 04:23 PM

Knock sensor is bad... or not?

ever since i was at the track a couple weeks ago, my cel went off - i assumed it was because I was switching ecu's there and stuff (5spd -> auto -> 5spd)... anyway, i finally got around to diagnosing it a week or so ago... and got the "park neutral switch problem" (I guess I bumped those wires and they disconnected for a split second?) and a serious one - "Knock sensor" or whatever...

so I reset it and figured I'd buy a new knock sensor (hoping it is the reason i am running slower times then I do wish (dont ask))...

buuuut, I diagnosed the ecu again today (no light) just to see if it had picked up knock sensor again, and got 05-05 "no problems recorded"......

soo, do you think it just did something wrong once, or i need a new knock sensor? I am obviously going to check it again in a week or so, and I dont hear any knocking although I dont know what it would sound like - unless its a loud knock... but i am tempted to replace it just to see if it is my problem at the track (just replaced spark plugs and fuel filter today...)

THANKS for any help in advance!!
Old 07-21-2002, 08:32 PM

Re: Knock sensor is bad... or not?

Originally posted by hlh0501
ever since i was at the track a couple weeks ago, my cel went off - i assumed it was because I was switching ecu's there and stuff (5spd -> auto -> 5spd)... anyway, i finally got around to diagnosing it a week or so ago... and got the "park neutral switch problem" (I guess I bumped those wires and they disconnected for a split second?) and a serious one - "Knock sensor" or whatever...

so I reset it and figured I'd buy a new knock sensor (hoping it is the reason i am running slower times then I do wish (dont ask))...

buuuut, I diagnosed the ecu again today (no light) just to see if it had picked up knock sensor again, and got 05-05 "no problems recorded"......

soo, do you think it just did something wrong once, or i need a new knock sensor? I am obviously going to check it again in a week or so, and I dont hear any knocking although I dont know what it would sound like - unless its a loud knock... but i am tempted to replace it just to see if it is my problem at the track (just replaced spark plugs and fuel filter today...)

THANKS for any help in advance!!
Just check the ECU every week. The trouble code for the knock sensor will not fire off the CEL. If it comes back, change it.

Who knows how long that other code was there.