4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I am so ****ed....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 06:35 PM

I am so ****ed....

The other night I stayed at some friends house since I had been drinking, so I walk out to my car in the morning and some SOB nailed my driver side rear. It dented/scraped about 8in of the 1/4 panel, broke the outer tail light and scraped the bumper.
There was no note or anything and I have been back to the townhomes looking for a white car, but I have had no luck.
Some people just suck.

My question is about body work. I went to a shop and they said they must refinish the bumper and repaint it. I told the guy that I found an aftermarket bumper for very cheap on the internet that I had considered buying. He told me he would refuse to paint and install it because aftermarket bumpers were all cheap crap. Is this true?

Anyway I got an estimate for a new driver side rear door panel, fix 1/4panel, refinishing both front and rear bumpers, new tail lights. With paint, parts and labor they wanted $1400-$1800. Does this sound right?

Can any CO people recommend a good shop in FC.

Thanks, Ted
Old 07-22-2002, 08:04 PM

Re: I am so ****ed....

Originally posted by MAXTOUT
The other night I stayed at some friends house since I had been drinking, so I walk out to my car in the morning and some SOB nailed my driver side rear. It dented/scraped about 8in of the 1/4 panel, broke the outer tail light and scraped the bumper.
There was no note or anything and I have been back to the townhomes looking for a white car, but I have had no luck.
Some people just suck.

My question is about body work. I went to a shop and they said they must refinish the bumper and repaint it. I told the guy that I found an aftermarket bumper for very cheap on the internet that I had considered buying. He told me he would refuse to paint and install it because aftermarket bumpers were all cheap crap. Is this true?

Anyway I got an estimate for a new driver side rear door panel, fix 1/4panel, refinishing both front and rear bumpers, new tail lights. With paint, parts and labor they wanted $1400-$1800. Does this sound right?

Can any CO people recommend a good shop in FC.

Thanks, Ted
Dude that freakin sucks, some chick hit me in a parking lot in the left rear in a white explorer and ran away.. gonna cost me bout 500..I feel your pain
Old 07-22-2002, 08:28 PM

I had a body shop tell me the same thing.. aftermarket bumpers are crap.. i dunno if they wanted more $$ from the insurance company or what.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:35 PM

I feel your pain too...
They neighbor kids use my car as one of their hockey goal posts.
Every morning I wake up feeling fresh, I find couple more scratches and dents on my door, and I go 'Fock!'
Someday, I'm going to **** them up, but now they are just little kids...
Old 07-22-2002, 09:13 PM

Re: Re: I am so ****ed....

It depends where you are from, I'm from Brooklyn, NY so there are about 10 body shops per block. I would say go with a nissan bumper from Tustin or another dealer for a descent price. Look for a different body shop. There are some body shops that do not deal with aftermarket parts at all because they say they are horrible etc... I have been fortunate enough to experience both and I can honestly tell you if they do a good job at installation it makes no difference except "Made In Korea" on the side.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:04 PM

the cash to fix sounds about right. some ******* backed into my max and dented the front driverside fender, tore a whole in the bumper, scraped up my driverside bumper lights and corner light. all together (parts, labor, finishing, etc.) $1340. so yours sounds about right.

ps
dont get aftermarket. its crap. stay with OEM parts. granted they may be more expensive but at least you know youre getting a good part.

good luck
Old 07-26-2002, 09:43 AM

ATTENTION: DO NOT LISTEN TO MENDON11, HE DRIVES A 79 PONTIAC FIERO, HE KNOWS NOTHING ELSE ABOUT CARS OTHER THAN WHAT HE KNOWS ABOUT FIERO'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEWARE
Old 07-26-2002, 09:47 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

ATTENTION: DO NOT LISTEN TO BRENDAN, HE DOESN'T KNOW THAT THE FIERO DIDNT COME OUT UNTIL THE EARLY 80'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEWARE
Old 07-26-2002, 10:59 AM

body shops are generally a total racket. They jack prices because the majority of their work is paid by insurance companies. If you are willin to do the leg work. Buy the panels yourself, then have a paint shop do a per panel job. Painting is all kinds of expensive, but in the end far cheaper then a body shop complete job. There is always a cheaper way, depending on how much leg work you are willing to do. check out this link for body panels:http://www.autobodypartsonline.com
Old 07-26-2002, 11:10 AM

If you need tail lights i have a set i can hook u up with
Old 07-26-2002, 11:46 AM

aftermarket is the shizzle
Old 07-27-2002, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
ATTENTION: DO NOT LISTEN TO BRENDAN, HE DOESN'T KNOW THAT THE FIERO DIDNT COME OUT UNTIL THE EARLY 80'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEWARE

Hahahah caught me
Old 07-27-2002, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
yeah i was gonna say the fiero came out in 84