4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Redline Water Wetter Worked Great!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 08:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Redline Water Wetter Worked Great!

Flushed radiator on 97 GLE. Used Peak Extended Life Antifreeze, it has no silicates, no phosphates, no borates and one other thing I can't remember. Cost $8.01 at Pep Boys, Nissan Dealer wanted $16.50 for their Antifreeze (over twice as much - not worth it). Also added 6 ounces of Red Line Water Water, engine is running over 10 degrees cooler. The stuff works, the AC puts out 38 degree air with an ambient temperature of 95 degrees. The Redline Water Wetter was $6.00 for 12 ounces. Great Product
Be well!!!!
Old 07-25-2002, 08:41 AM

Agreed

I have Redline Water Wetter in all four of the cars at my house. Stuff works great. Car warms up just fine and operates at the same water temp according to the gauge, but it's actually 8-20 degress cooler.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:31 AM

I guess there is a possible downside with this stuff also.

http://www.miata.net/products/perform/redlineww.html
Old 07-25-2002, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by JMAX95

good looking out, I don't think any of us want any cooling problems.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:29 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by JMAX95

VERY INTERESTING!

I just had my car's cooling system serviced at Nissan today. Picked it up and went to my local Speed Shop to buy some goodies. Red Line Water Wetter was right in front of me so I said WFT and picked it up. I haven't put it in yet, now I'm wondering if I even should?

On a second note upon looking around the shop a bit I found the Folia Tec caliper paint in Silver for 39 bucks. Care to guess what my next project might be?
Old 07-25-2002, 11:37 AM

I just e-mailed the guy who gave a negative review.

He had problems with gelatinous pea-sized solids in his coolant. Well, I actually had a similar problem with the same thing, but the coolant never had any Redline WW in it.

I flushed the system, and put in an approximate 35-40/65-60 coolant/distilled water mixture, with probably around a bottle of Water Wetter. Despite a neon orangy color (lime green+pinkish red) the fluid is ultra clean, and I hope it stays that way.

edit: Here is the e-mail that was undeliverable to him...guess he doesn't have that address anymore:

I read your informative review on the Water Wetter product. I currently use Water Wetter with no problem. But, would you elaborate more on the gelatious globules that formed in your coolant? What color was it?

see the thing is, I had something similar to that, but I didn't have Redline Water Wetter. The previous owner of the car never put that kind of additive, yet to my surprise I saw lots of solids at the top of the liquid in the reservoir.

With Redline WW in my car now with an approximate 35-40/65-70 antifreeze/water ratio, I have no problems.

thanks for your help.
Old 07-27-2002, 03:22 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Originally posted by TurDz

He had problems with gelatinous pea-sized solids in his coolant. Well, I actually had a similar problem with the same thing, but the coolant never had any Redline WW in it.

I flushed the system, and put in an approximate 35-40/65-60 coolant/distilled water mixture, with probably around a bottle of Water Wetter. Despite a neon orangy color (lime green+pinkish red) the fluid is ultra clean, and I hope it stays that way.

edit: Here is the e-mail that was undeliverable to him...guess he doesn't have that address anymore:

I read your informative review on the Water Wetter product. I currently use Water Wetter with no problem. But, would you elaborate more on the gelatious globules that formed in your coolant? What color was it?

see the thing is, I had something similar to that, but I didn't have Redline Water Wetter. The previous owner of the car never put that kind of additive, yet to my surprise I saw lots of solids at the top of the liquid in the reservoir.

With Redline WW in my car now with an approximate 35-40/65-70 antifreeze/water ratio, I have no problems.

thanks for your help.
And I thought engine sludge was bad enough, this sounds equally disgusting, but I agree, good looking out on the drawbacks of Water Wetter
Old 07-27-2002, 04:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Man I was about to go buy some especially since I have the blower not after reading that negative thing I really dont know
Old 07-27-2002, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by JAY25
Man I was about to go buy some especially since I have the blower not after reading that negative thing I really dont know
Don't worry about it. I've had my coolant 35-40% coolant & 60-65% water with a bottle of Water Wetter for a month now. Everything is running great. Despite the fact I have orangy coolant, there are no problems whatsoever.
Old 07-27-2002, 10:04 PM

I tried it...

and couldn't tell any difference...but...REDLINE FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER Totally ROCKS! that stuff is worth every penny.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:12 AM

Re: I tried it...

Originally posted by krbga
and couldn't tell any difference...but...REDLINE FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER Totally ROCKS! that stuff is worth every penny.
I don't think you'd notice a difference unless you had a "real" water temp. gauge. The stock gauge just isn't accurate enough. The Water Wetter is the only Redline product I use.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:11 PM

how tough is it to flush the cooling system? y does it have anything to do with the AC system? if i wanted to add RWW, though i am not sure right now..., should i flush the system and mix the coolant before filling? are there any tutorials for flushing the cooling system?
Old 07-29-2002, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Miasma
how tough is it to flush the cooling system? y does it have anything to do with the AC system? if i wanted to add RWW, though i am not sure right now..., should i flush the system and mix the coolant before filling? are there any tutorials for flushing the cooling system?
Not tough, just time-consuming & messy.

Tutorials: Great ones are found in the Hayne's manual. Spend the $15. Worth every penny.

I'm not aware of any interrelation between the engine's cooling system & the car's A/C in terms of shared efficiency either (had the same reaction as you on that). As far as I know, engine cooling efficiency has no bearing on the A/C's ability to operate efficiently. They are separate systems, altogether.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this. . .

Old 07-29-2002, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

Not tough, just time-consuming & messy.

Tutorials: Great ones are found in the Hayne's manual. Spend the $15. Worth every penny.

I'm not aware of any interrelation between the engine's cooling system & the car's A/C in terms of shared efficiency either (had the same reaction as you on that). As far as I know, engine cooling efficiency has no bearing on the A/C's ability to operate efficiently. They are separate systems, altogether.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this. . .

I used to think the same thing but the gauges (high side head pressure) and thermomter told a different story. The only thing I had changed was flushing radiator, antifreeze and Redline WW. Only thing I could figure out was cooler operational area for compressor and lines or maybe I am losing it. Nothing surprises me anymore. Bottom line is I have a car that is putting out 38 degree air when the ambient temperature is 100 degrees. Needless to say I am happy!
Be well!!!!
Old 07-29-2002, 07:53 PM

well, i guess i am going to have to flush my coolant

what is the recommended mixture of antifreeze, water and water wetter, since obviously it is easy to hit the wrong PH with a 50/50 mix of AF and water (with 5oz WW added)?
Old 07-29-2002, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Miasma
well, i guess i am going to have to flush my coolant

what is the recommended mixture of antifreeze, water and water wetter, since obviously it is easy to hit the wrong PH with a 50/50 mix of AF and water (with 5oz WW added)?
I went with 50 / 50 Antifreeze and reverse osmosis filtered water. I don't use distilled water in radiator since it is very reactive. I get my filtered water at a health food store. I have a water test kit, and I'll check the PH of 50 / 50 solution tomorrow. You use 6 0unces of Redline WW per car. I bought my Redline WW at www.myoilshop.com and if you use discount code 675421 they knock off 10%. There are located in PA and they ship faast.
Be well!!!!
Old 07-30-2002, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by TurDz

thanks for your help.[/i][/size]

The gel dropout is from Silicone used in the Redline Water wetter formula. IMO everyone should use Redline Diesel water wetter. It doesn't contain any silicates. The same goes for antifreeze, silicate free antifreeze should be used.