4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Confirmation on parts needed for a 5 spd trans leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 07:37 AM

Confirmation on parts needed for a 5 spd trans leak

Hello,

My 5 spd is leaking! I changed the neutral/reverse switch like i saw done here, but it still leaks. When i take a close look at the leak, it seems like my transmission case is "wet looking" from the metal rod (forgot the name) that goes into the engine from the left wheel to the bottom of the transmission case.

I'm assuming this is because of the bearings as mentionned before in the many threads on 5spd leaks.

When I want to get this leak repaired, i will have to ask for new bearings right. But is there a special name for it other than bearings? or someone know the part number?

Also, is there anything else i should be asking for? like a seal or something like? From the searches i've done, i haven't found anything else needed, but just to be sure....

Finally........... should i get anything else repaired while a mechanic is under there?

thanks a bunch
Old 07-30-2002, 10:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Confirmation on parts needed for a 5 spd trans leak

Originally posted by multiplexor
Hello,

My 5 spd is leaking! I changed the neutral/reverse switch like i saw done here, but it still leaks. When i take a close look at the leak, it seems like my transmission case is "wet looking" from the metal rod (forgot the name) that goes into the engine from the left wheel to the bottom of the transmission case.

I'm assuming this is because of the bearings as mentionned before in the many threads on 5spd leaks.

When I want to get this leak repaired, i will have to ask for new bearings right. But is there a special name for it other than bearings? or someone know the part number?

Also, is there anything else i should be asking for? like a seal or something like? From the searches i've done, i haven't found anything else needed, but just to be sure....

Finally........... should i get anything else repaired while a mechanic is under there?

thanks a bunch
Differential carrier bearings. There are two - a small one and a large one. Might as well replace both, along with all the seals. Also be sure that your mechanic measures the axial play without the shims installed in order to determine the correct thickness of shims to use - don't let him just reuse the old shims because it is the excessive bearing preload that caused the problem in the first place. Check out motorvate's excellent website - he explains it all.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:06 AM

damn you're right! I forgot about motorvate.ca. it covers the problem pretty well too!

Thanks for reminding me

oh and thanks for letting me know what else i should just get changed while i'm at it.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:27 PM

Re: Re: Confirmation on parts needed for a 5 spd trans leak

Originally posted by Stephen Max

Differential carrier bearings. There are two - a small one and a large one. Might as well replace both, along with all the seals. Also be sure that your mechanic measures the axial play without the shims installed in order to determine the correct thickness of shims to use - don't let him just reuse the old shims because it is the excessive bearing preload that caused the problem in the first place. Check out motorvate's excellent website - he explains it all.

The differential carrier bearings are both the same size, and the same part. Get them both from tustin nissan with 2 axle seals for about a 100 bucks.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: Confirmation on parts needed for a 5 spd trans leak

Originally posted by skeelo34

The differential carrier bearings are both the same size, and the same part. Get them both from tustin nissan with 2 axle seals for about a 100 bucks.
motorvate.ca's website shows a picture of the differential carrier bearings. One is large and the other is small. Maybe we're talking about different bearings?
Old 07-30-2002, 02:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Confirmation on parts needed for a 5 spd trans leak

motorvate.ca's website shows a picture of the differential carrier bearings. One is large and the other is small. Maybe we're talking about different bearings?
Differential carrier bearings are both the same size. I rebuilt the tranny. I see what you mean about his bottom one seeming bigger. MIne were both the same......weird. I have a 96 tranny.....????
Old 07-30-2002, 02:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Confirmation on parts needed for a 5 spd trans leak

to be sure, i will need 2 axle seals for the drivers side axle?

i hate to bring this in for a repair, especially to a non nissan mechanic, but nissan would kill me on labour.... I hope the person i bring it too knows how to do this properly
Old 07-30-2002, 02:37 PM
I'm so hood

I'd print him up the write-up off motorvate.ca and highlight a few sections to make sure he doesnt make one of the possible big mistakes.

Good luck, seeing as how nissan service guys apparently dont even know to replace the shims with the proper ones, much less put GL-4 gear oil in instead of GL-5...
Old 07-30-2002, 03:28 PM

to be sure, i will need 2 axle seals for the drivers side axle?

i hate to bring this in for a repair, especially to a non nissan mechanic, but nissan would kill me on labour.... I hope the person i bring it too knows how to do this properly
Only one seal on the driver side, and one on passenger. They are only 5 bucks each, so why skimp out on one when you're paying way more for the whole thing.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Confirmation on parts needed for a 5 spd trans leak

Only one seal on the driver side, and one on passenger. They are only 5 bucks each, so why skimp out on one when you're paying way more for the whole thing.
oh ok cool thanks
Old 07-31-2002, 07:31 AM

question, do you guys think it would be cheaper to find a junkyard and get a used 96+ manual transmission and just swap it? or are there dangers in that? was the carrier bearing problem fixed in later years? i can't remember having read that or not.

thanks
Old 07-31-2002, 08:22 AM

This is because he has a canadian limited slip model. if you have a FSM, his is the "V" model. Us in the US have the "A" model, which is open differential (unless you're like me and put in a Quaife). The opened differential ones have the same sized bearings. The dealer will ask you this when you ask for the parts.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:26 AM

question, do you guys think it would be cheaper to find a junkyard and get a used 96+ manual transmission and just swap it? or are there dangers in that? was the carrier bearing problem fixed in later years? i can't remember having read that or not.

thanks
If you can do the work yourself, it doesnt cost too much to do it. Just alot of time and patience. I would not trust these transmissions in the later years to take a gamble of if they fixed the problem or not. Get to the root of the problem (impropper shimming) and fix it.