4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Conversation with a Camry 5spd Guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2000, 09:06 AM
TJ

This Guy Tsong, came on the forum, talkin about how his Camry stock, ran a 14.9. My friend has a 5spd Camry, and I have driven and raced his Camry many times, and can tell you it's not as fast as my 96MaxSE 5sp. So, I E-mailed Tsong and told him his run was ********. C&D, had the best 1/4 mile run on his car at 15.5. Some how Tsong's MAGIC Camry managed a 14.9 with no mods, Wow! To prove this guy is wack, look at what he wrote me back on the next paragraph. He actually thinks his Camry is lighter than a Maxima. Huh?

Maybe your friend hasn't had a lot of drag racing experience. Our cars
aren't easy to launch. Plus, the CE (the one I have) has a curb weight of
3075 pounds; I even weighed it at the track, and it showed 3060. So my car
is lighter than any Maxima.

Whereas you guys are sold on Maxima's marketing gimmicks ("4DSC", "Cars like
it = 0", etc), I'm out there beating your "sports sedan". And if you need
references, I'll provide them

Tsong has not provided plenty of bull **** references so far.
Old 12-12-2000, 09:17 AM

This guys an A$$

I am sick of reading his foolish posts on the general section. I have been on his A$$ now for a day about it. Amazes me that people think I am ignorant for puching hima bit. Again...I don't hate his car, he is misinformed and approaches us in a manner that pisses me off.

Ok...just had to get that off my chest
SHUMAX
Old 12-12-2000, 09:42 AM

dayum..........

Well i was gonna leave this site alone but now.....

Most of you are tired of hearing about camrys but its your guys that keep bringing it up, not us!

Tiems car is the ligher CE, mine is the slightly heavier LE (3,175 lbs) and i have run 14s with very little mods. Why is it so hard to believe. Do you think maximas are the only cars that are fast? You just cant swallow it that a camry is as fast as a maximuh huh?

I like maximuhs they are my favorite competition...I wish all you trash talkers lived in my area so we could have a friendly race and settle this petty pissing contest.

Hey also, you believe everything magazines say?

Now thats comedy!
Old 12-12-2000, 09:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: dayum..........

Originally posted by gLok

Most of you are tired of hearing about camrys but its your guys that keep bringing it up, not us!

Tiems car is the ligher CE, mine is the slightly heavier LE (3,175 lbs) and i have run 14s with very little mods. Why is it so hard to believe. Do you think maximas are the only cars that are fast? You just cant swallow it that a camry is as fast as a maximuh huh?

I like maximuhs they are my favorite competition...I wish all you trash talkers lived in my area so we could have a friendly race and settle this petty pissing contest.

Now thats comedy!
lets see some time slips?
Old 12-12-2000, 09:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: dayum..........

you know what? you take on the guys out in FL and I'll take on the guys out here in Cali how's that? hehe. by the way, mine is a 5sp SE Solara. Pretty much the same car, never run a sub 15 pass yet, but I'd still like som friendly max competition here. =P

Now thats comedy!
Old 12-12-2000, 09:55 AM

Re: Re: dayum..........

[QUOTE]Originally posted by theblue
lets see some time slips?
Old 12-12-2000, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by TJ
This Guy Tsong, came on the forum, talkin about how his Camry stock, ran a 14.9. My friend has a 5spd Camry, and I have driven and raced his Camry many times, and can tell you it's not as fast as my 96MaxSE 5sp. So, I E-mailed Tsong and told him his run was ********. C&D, had the best 1/4 mile run on his car at 15.5. Some how Tsong's MAGIC Camry managed a 14.9 with no mods, Wow! To prove this guy is wack, look at what he wrote me back on the next paragraph. He actually thinks his Camry is lighter than a Maxima. Huh?

I have no doubt that the camry is just as fast as the maxima is. Magazine times aside, both cars are of simular weight, power, gearing, torque. Basically the driver will make the difference. Lets not forget that MT tested a SMX maxima with stillen bolt ons it ran the 1/4 in 15.1 vs the 15.2 of the stock car. Even with the supercharger it still did a 14.4. Also using magazine times for racing instead of as a general idea of what cars run is crazy. I have seen 1/4 times for the 5spd 4th gen from 15.2-15.7 and 15.7-16.5 for auto's. Don't assume just because you see a 15.5 in a magazine that the car will run that all the time. After all only MT was able to get a quicker 1/4 from the 5th gen max vs the other mags. I would even go so far as to say given the same bolt ons my se-r could beat a 4th gen. With just an intake I run even with modded 4th gen 5spds from 1st to 3rd gear. Stock 5spds would see my tail lights.
Old 12-12-2000, 10:32 AM

Yeah, ya can't rely on magazines for times,

I think motor trend quoted the manual 97 SE to 0-60 in 6.6sec. Car & Driver tested same thing but got 7.1sec. I'd have to say no two are the same, one Maxima maybe 190 hp, but another one the same year may have slightly more power. I don't think that would equate to a half a second difference in acceleration though. I've pushed my 97 SE, 97 CE Camry, and a 2000 GXE (all stick shift and V6) to the limit on a test drive with the dealers permission and I'd say they are very close cars. Perhaps if I was more familiar with the camry, I could get it to launch better. But as for me, I've driven the three to compare. It's awfully close, I'd say it really depends on the driver. To satisfy my fellow maxima owners, I do very much like my car.
Old 12-12-2000, 10:40 AM

speaking of SE-Rs....i saw some kid last week at moroso bust a 14.5 with S4? cams,header,intake,exhaust and J-Wolf ECU on street tires! Better watch out for those!
Old 12-12-2000, 11:21 AM
OG :)

Re: This guys an A$$

Originally posted by shumax
I am sick of reading his foolish posts on the general section. I have been on his A$$ now for a day about it. Amazes me that people think I am ignorant for puching hima bit. Again...I don't hate his car, he is misinformed and approaches us in a manner that pisses me off.

Ok...just had to get that off my chest
SHUMAX
he attends the same school as me, needed to "get that off my chest" likewise.
Old 12-12-2000, 11:23 AM
TJ

Their are more stats showing the Max being faster, end of debate

Yes, time slips very, BUT I HAVE RACED MY FRIENDS 5SPD CAMRY, AND NOT ONE SINGLE TIME HAS THE GUY PULLED AHEAD OF ME. The only time he gives me more of a challenge, is on the highway. Side by side, when we both down shift, I always seem to pull away still. I've also raced a Solara before, same thing, 1st gear 2nd gear see ya. Now, if I had those big 17 inch wheels on my Max, you Camry guy's might have a fighting chance, because those big rims slow you down alot. That time slip above, I'll believe it, but it's not a stock Camry.

I looked at several car magazines, and out of all of them, the Max got the best 1/4 mile run at 15.2, and the Camry 5spd got a 15.5. The worst time I saw for the Max was a 15.7. The 5spd Camry's worst time was a 15.9. Cheers!
Old 12-12-2000, 12:05 PM

maximas are fast
camrys are fast
...how come people on this board, think camrys are slow?...they not..they fast..

my maxima has lost to the trd symbol..and won to it..it wouldnt be any fun without competition...
Old 12-12-2000, 12:23 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Their are more stats showing the Max being faster, end of debate

Maybe you should run Glok, he ran a 14.999 1/4 mile. He is about as stock as you can get really. I mean who keeps their car stock when they are interested in 1/4, this site or whatever. Who cares what the cars do stock. We are here to mod the crap($$ allowing ) out of our cars right??

Originally posted by TJ
Yes, time slips very, BUT I HAVE RACED MY FRIENDS 5SPD CAMRY, AND NOT ONE SINGLE TIME HAS THE GUY PULLED AHEAD OF ME. The only time he gives me more of a challenge, is on the highway. Side by side, when we both down shift, I always seem to pull away still. I've also raced a Solara before, same thing, 1st gear 2nd gear see ya. Now, if I had those big 17 inch wheels on my Max, you Camry guy's might have a fighting chance, because those big rims slow you down alot. That time slip above, I'll believe it, but it's not a stock Camry.

I looked at several car magazines, and out of all of them, the Max got the best 1/4 mile run at 15.2, and the Camry 5spd got a 15.5. The worst time I saw for the Max was a 15.7. The 5spd Camry's worst time was a 15.9. Cheers!
Old 12-12-2000, 12:55 PM

Man this is an endless arguement...Like we were saying it mostly comes down to the driver in the end.

And jeff your right...what fun is staying stock? Im sure most of you guys are like me....waiting for that income tax check!!
Old 12-12-2000, 01:04 PM
TJ

Show me a Camry that runs a 14.3 with only simple bolt ons

Jeff Ketch's Max ran a 14.3 with only bolt ons. Go to his page, and read the time slips at the bottom of his page. Also, I believe he produced that time with almost 100,000 miles on the car. Very impressive!

http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/Drag_tips.html

Old 12-12-2000, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by TJ
Well my worst time slip was without my CF hood, I had my heavy 17" rims on with brand new tires, intake, eibachs and TRD short shifter...

It was a 15.4 at 88 mph. dont read magazines as they are false on both cars. This was my worst run with no launch at all.

I dont doubt one bit that i could bust a 14 or faster in a maxima with the same mods as my car. I mean i just barely hit 14s that night anyways (14.992) I wish my boy would let me drive his 5 spd 4th gen at the track so we could see.

Whats the fastest times you guys got slips of?
Old 12-12-2000, 01:13 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Show me a Camry that runs a 14.3 with only simple bolt ons

Oh brother! Hey Don in Texas went high 12's I think so you are using the wrong example! So you proved Maximas CAN be fast if you mod the hell out of them. So what? Did anyone say they weren't or can't be. Now you said Camrys will always be slow right????? If then explain the 14.99 timeslip of Glok, which is the whole point of this dicussion since I decided to get into it. Either prove camrys will always be slow by somehow disproving Glok's timeslip or just admit camrys can be fast too. If you want to change the subject, start another thread!

Originally posted by TJ
Jeff Ketch's Max ran a 14.3 with only bolt ons. Go to his page, and read the time slips at the bottom of his page. Also, I believe he produced that time with almost 100,000 miles on the car. Very impressive!

Old 12-12-2000, 01:31 PM
Matt_P

Depends on you definition of no mods ->

No money spent? As far as I remember, the 14.99 was run with NO Air filter and the air box open. Yes, a little dangerous...but provides much better air flow than a K&N cone.

Matt P.

Originally posted by TJ

Old 12-12-2000, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by TJ

Is that so? Here are the THREE timeslips showing that I ran 14's, two of which were back to back runs.

Provide me with an 8mm camera, and I'll digitize the 14.9 second run, if you don't believe I did it.

Also, my car weighed in at Ennis at 3060 pounds; brochure says 3075. Nissan's website lists the lightest Maxima at 3186 pounds, and that's not the SE.

You're clearly the most ignorant, closed-minded Maxima owner I have spoken with.

-Tiem
Old 12-12-2000, 03:03 PM

Didn't he also have drag radials when he made that run? Little fact you forgot to mention, those do make a difference. And he's a really good driver, didn't he go to the track lots of times? I'm sure if you put similar boltons to a Camry V6, put drag radials on and a good driver, similar times would be produced. Why is Maxima superiority so important to you anyways TJ? Is this just some sort of pissing contest? The two cars are practically the same, just made by different manufacturers. You're as bad as the riceboys who won't admit that their cars can be beaten.

Originally posted by TJ

Old 12-12-2000, 03:23 PM

Re: Depends on you definition of no mods ->

Originally posted by Matt_P
No money spent? As far as I remember, the 14.99 was run with NO Air filter and the air box open. Yes, a little dangerous...but provides much better air flow than a K&N cone.

Matt P.
Yes air filter, yes air box. No air filter is just asking for engine trouble, especially at TAD.

-Tiem
Old 12-12-2000, 05:46 PM

Wow, this is insane...

Sup Tiem? I can't believe our innocent little race has come to this. Man you keep posting so much, and you're gonna become some kinda Maximaniac with a Camry.

OK, so here's a rundown for everyone:

Stock Max vs. stock Camry: who cares? Both cars will get to the grocery store or soccer practice at the same time.

Max w/ bolt-ons vs. Camry w/ same bolt-ons: same story, just a little faster, driver makes the difference.

Max w/ cone filter vs. Camry w/ TRD SC: hmm... lets see... Max gets creamed.

Max w/ Stillen SC vs. Camry w/ TRD SC:

TJ in any Max vs. Any Camry: Camry on principle alone.

Justin
Old 12-12-2000, 06:06 PM

Re: Wow, this is insane...

Originally posted by justmax
Sup Tiem? I can't believe our innocent little race has come to this. Man you keep posting so much, and you're gonna become some kinda Maximaniac with a Camry.

Hey, I got enough love to go around! Just none for the hataz.

I test drove both cars, and was more comfortable in the Camry. Plus, my family is a big Toyota family; we love their reliability.

OK, so here's a rundown for everyone:

Max w/ Stillen SC vs. Camry w/ TRD SC:

The win goes to the Max on this one...at least until the smaller pulleys come out. Then it'll get interesting

TJ in any Max vs. Any Camry: Camry on principle alone.

Amen on that.

Justin [/I]
-Tiem
Old 12-12-2000, 07:28 PM

Camry's are lame

Hey camry dude, who gives a s... if your posc is a little faster. Take your enthusiasm to the camry site and chat with your friends there. I bet your dues will be higher though cause there's only like 50 million of em on the street.
Old 12-12-2000, 10:39 PM

dammit...

Originally posted by plrod Black 95 SE
Hey camry dude, who gives a s... if your posc is a little faster. Take your enthusiasm to the camry site and chat with your friends there. I bet your dues will be higher though cause there's only like 50 million of em on the street.
Well it looks like our Camry buddies just can't get any respect around here.

Question for anyone here that disrespects the "Camry dudes": Have you made any modifications to your Maxima? Why, because it didn't look cool enough, wasn't fast enough, didn't sound loud enough? Because, all things considered, you thought your Max was just as lame as a Camry, didn't you? You can admit it.

Guess what, the Camry dudes are doing alot of the same mods we are, so I appreciate their insight. Just look at how similar the Max & Camry are, then remember that we're all car enthusiasts here. Then when you think about insulting a guest who is actually contributing to this board, but has a different car than you, just shut up (or say something useful).

This is embarrassing.

Justin
Old 12-12-2000, 10:58 PM

That is embarassing. I've always wondered why maxima owners seem so insecure about their cars and have to trash talk other cars. This happens all the time, Civics suck, Accords suck, Preludes suck, Integras suck, Camrys suck, etc. Admit it, the Maxima is a boat in stock form. Soft suspension, too quick steering, etc. The only thing going for it is the sweet engine. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but I honestly don't see how it's any better than a Camry or Accord. There are differences, but not enough to say that either of those cars suck. I would expect this kind of behavior on a Civic forum or Neon forum where the drivers are younger and have less maturity, but here, you'd think that the demographics would be more mature. Guess not. Some of the people here are the most hypocritical people I've ever seen and they're fooling themselves about the capabilities of their cars. Yes, this is an enthusiasts site so obviously there will be a bias, but learn to respect.
Old 12-13-2000, 03:11 AM
95MAXSE5S

You know

I was set on a specific Max as you can see by my log in, but now I don't know if I want one at all. A lot of you are little *****es. No disrespect to the few of you not whining. Can some one give me an address to the Camry sites please.
Brandon

Old 12-13-2000, 04:26 AM
OG :)

Re: You know

Originally posted by 95MAXSE5S
Can some one give me an address to the Camry sites please.
http://www.camryman.org

he said please
Old 12-13-2000, 04:34 AM

Now the Solara convertible, that would be a nice ride.
Old 12-13-2000, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by TJ

Man thats pretty impressive. I got a faster 60ft time then he did on slicks with my stock tires but only ran a 14.992 His MPH at the 1/8 was almost 3 mph faster, thats pulling! Does anyone have a list of his mods?
Old 12-13-2000, 07:20 AM

Re: He has the same mods that most of us have->

CAI,YPIPE,Greddy exhaust and he also has the stillen ECU.
But the one think he has that most of us don't is track experience. Jeff K is one hell of a driver!!!

Originally posted by TJ

Man thats pretty impressive. I got a faster 60ft time then he did on slicks with my stock tires but only ran a 14.992 His MPH at the 1/8 was almost 3 mph faster, thats pulling! Does anyone have a list of his mods?
Old 12-13-2000, 07:34 AM

IMHO

- Look guys, overall I feel that the Maxima is a much nicer car than a Camry or an Accord. I've driven an Accord for over a year and my Max for about 4 months now...
- First, the Maxima has nicer amenities. Yes, it costs more, but even the buttons feel nicer. Bose in a Toyota?
- Secondly, people on the road treat me differently - with more respect. I used to get cut off all the time in my Honda. People were total jerks to me. I have never, ever been cut off in my Max. Other drivers look at it and they think that it is a staid family car (which it MOSTLY is). The jerks who cut me off in the Honda are used to Ricers and the like and don't have a problem with being mean. Only the worst idiots on the road would cut off such a blatant "Family Car."
- The engine. Oh, Lord, the engine. I could write poetry about the sound that fine piece of machinery makes. No contest there. Maxima wins.
- In terms of speed, the three (V-6) cars are fairly similar, although the Honda has to come with a slushbox. Yes, the stock Camry is lighter and may be as fast, but you can't buy a nicely equipped one with a stick. For my money, I'll take my Max. It is, overall, a nicer, more luxurious, and better car.
- Almost any car with similar mechanicals and mods will be comparitively fast. It's not only the speed that matters to us, it is the rest of the driving too. Enjoy the DRIVE.
Old 12-13-2000, 08:30 AM
Matt_P

Re: Re: Depends on you definition of no mods ->

Alright, no problem. They reason I said that, was that I remembered Andy posting something about a Camry running 14.9 a year ago. I was pretty sure he said that the car ran with the head light out and no filter.

Matt P.

Originally posted by tsong

Matt P.
Yes air filter, yes air box. No air filter is just asking for engine trouble, especially at TAD.

-Tiem

Old 12-13-2000, 10:32 AM
Banned

I'm here..>

If we are talking about drag racing the key is a great 60' time. I took about a year of practice with the same setup to figure out what was a good rpm to lauch at. My average on stock 15" tires was 2.2 60'...so practice.

I was able to produce a 14.9 with just a cone filter but that was with a '95 on stock 15" tires. Granted it took about 20 times the end result was a 14.98.

I give credit were credit is due Nissan or not. It's not easy at the track with watching the lights, rpms and shifting. If you can run a 14 second 1/4 mile with your 4-door car then good for you. Let's try to stick it to all the 2-door cars instead of give a fellow 4-door car owner grief.

Old 12-13-2000, 11:39 AM

Jeff whats your best sixty foot time?

I wish more guys here in florida were into drag racing like i am in their four door sleepers. Im pretty much the only one at moroso here in florida, and i get laughed at until they see me run. Its true, all four doors dont really get respect at the track until we bust a good time. Whether its a maxima or camry kids dont care, they see em both as family cars and thats all. I mean there was a kid there with a brand new integra type-r (although the drag strip isnt where they shine) that could barely break 14s with the same number of tries as me and they all laugh at me. Im sure maxima owners dont catch as much flack as i do. I dont really care, i bought my car cause its good to drive to work everyday and can go to the track on the weekend and run respectable times for what it is.
Old 12-13-2000, 11:40 AM

check it out <<<

Im a maxima enthusiast now!!
Old 12-13-2000, 11:50 AM
JimW

You should've seen them chuckling at me-->

Jeff whats your best sixty foot time?

I wish more guys here in florida were into drag racing like i am in their four door sleepers. Im pretty much the only one at moroso here in florida, and i get laughed at until they see me run. Its true, all four doors dont really get respect at the track until we bust a good time. Whether its a maxima or camry kids dont care, they see em both as family cars and thats all. I mean there was a kid there with a brand new integra type-r (although the drag strip isnt where they shine) that could barely break 14s with the same number of tries as me and they all laugh at me. Im sure maxima owners dont catch as much flack as i do. I dont really care, i bought my car cause its good to drive to work everyday and can go to the track on the weekend and run respectable times for what it is.
When I staged my big blue boat at the strip. Even the guys in the staging lanes were looking over and snickering. Then you give 'em a little "in your face" timeslip, and they get all quiet on you.

Old 12-13-2000, 11:57 AM
Banned

Best 60' was 2.16

That was on slicks, only used them at four events. Had alot of practice on my 17" Nitto 450(they suck but were cheap)...best of those was a 2.20. All-season 15" Dunlop sp4000s best 60' was 2.22. Play with the tires pressure but don't go below 22psi on street tires because I hear the sidewalls won't handle it.

I was the same way back in '98 up here at Englishtown, NJ. I would go to track on a Wednesday night with all the
60s and 70s cars and be the only import. It was tough and then the sport took off. Now on a wednesday night after 8 o'clock it's all imports with very little american iron.

Just wait because it's coming. Import racing is getting bigger it will just take alittle time to get to Florida.

Old 12-13-2000, 11:57 AM
JimW

We're not worthy!!! (bowing low)--->

Originally posted by Jeff K
If we are talking about drag racing the key is a great 60' time. I took about a year of practice with the same setup to figure out what was a good rpm to lauch at. My average on stock 15" tires was 2.2 60'...so practice.

I was able to produce a 14.9 with just a cone filter but that was with a '95 on stock 15" tires. Granted it took about 20 times the end result was a 14.98.

I give credit were credit is due Nissan or not. It's not easy at the track with watching the lights, rpms and shifting. If you can run a 14 second 1/4 mile with your 4-door car then good for you. Let's try to stick it to all the 2-door cars instead of give a fellow 4-door car owner grief.

I've gotta admit one thing, Jeff K is one helluva driver. He taught me tons about running the 1/4 mile. He was there for each and every one of my runs.
Like the man says, gotta give credit where it's due. 14.9 in any 4dr sedan is good. How did you run it? What was your tire pressure? Staging and launching technques? Shift points. Fill us in.

Old 12-13-2000, 04:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Depends on you definition of no mods ->

Alright, no problem. They reason I said that, was that I remembered Andy posting something about a Camry running 14.9 a year ago. I was pretty sure he said that the car ran with the head light out and no filter.
Baritchi? If so, then that was me, but I never ran without a filter. Headlight out, yes.

-Tiem

Quick Reply: Conversation with a Camry 5spd Guy