4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

pulled over for loud music

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 01:36 PM

pulled over for loud music

i got pulled over this afternoon by a state cop, he said that my stock bose system was too loud and gave me a $50 ticket, i searched some threads and no one has said anything about if they fought the ticket and won??? bcuz i think its complete BS, i think the cop was just bored cuz he was complaining that my sticker on my plate was gonna expire this yr, and that i had a box of noise makers (that are for kids) and that i should throw them out... do u think i can fight this??
Old 08-02-2002, 01:40 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Yes, I think you can fight it. Do some research and find out exactly what your local laws are regarding the violation.

Proceed from there.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:43 PM
I'm so hood

That's a slap in the face...the stock system even.

Find out exactly what the local law is for the violation. Go from there.

Ours here at one point were pretty weak and generically written. I think it was if your stock system put out more than 40W at any given time, and/or if hte officer could hear you from more than 100ft away.

If the ticket's cheap, and is definitely not a moving violation (I don't think any audio violations typically are, but I could be wrong), it might just be worth it to pay it.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:46 PM

Hmm.....Ive never even got anything like that yet for having mine up (just a cop put his finger over his mouth like SHHH but thats it) and mine can hit low 140's!
Old 08-02-2002, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by blizz20oma
That's a slap in the face...the stock system even.

Find out exactly what the local law is for the violation. Go from there.

Ours here at one point were pretty weak and generically written. I think it was if your stock system put out more than 40W at any given time, and/or if hte officer could hear you from more than 100ft away.

If the ticket's cheap, and is definitely not a moving violation (I don't think any audio violations typically are, but I could be wrong), it might just be worth it to pay it.
how many watts can the bose system put out???
Old 08-02-2002, 01:57 PM
I'm so hood

I'm not sure of the exact output but I know it's over 200W...
Chances are the laws won't be based on power output in your location, but look it up and see.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:03 PM

Id fight it. Where did this happen, where your windows down or up? I mean there are a bunch of things but if its just a $50 fine and nothing more, thats not too bad, and maybe just paying it and being done would almost be worth it?????
Old 08-02-2002, 04:46 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

50 bucks?!?!?!? for noise pollution? dude that's COMPLETE bull****. I know law here in california is "music from an automobile can't be heard from over 50 ft away... but still they don't enforce that ****. I guess it really depends what u were playing lol and the cop didn't like it
Old 08-02-2002, 05:52 PM

Re: pulled over for loud music

Originally posted by SlowJoeMax
i got pulled over this afternoon by a state cop, he said that my stock bose system was too loud and gave me a $50 ticket, i searched some threads and no one has said anything about if they fought the ticket and won??? bcuz i think its complete BS, i think the cop was just bored cuz he was complaining that my sticker on my plate was gonna expire this yr, and that i had a box of noise makers (that are for kids) and that i should throw them out... do u think i can fight this??
hell yeah you can fight it. it is a stock system. if you don't have anything more than stock, then i don't think you can lose. why would they put a bose in there stock, if it was illegal?????? fight it my friend
Old 08-02-2002, 06:15 PM

Think of it this way...was he able to measure the decibal output at the scene of the ticket? Probably not. Reason I make that statement is this...he has no physical proof that your system was too loud. Same with exhaust systems (I yet to hear an exhaust system sound louder that a modified system on a Harley). A buddy of mine just got a noise violation out in Chicago cause of his system, but it was thrown out cause the officer didn't measure the decibal output at the scene. Plus, if you go to court and they ask to hear your system, you can blast the buhjezus out of it, but that would hold up either, because who's to say that you listen to your music that loud when you're in the car? Just a little advice from a law student...if worse comes to worse, get Nissan to pay for it!! It's their system!
Old 08-02-2002, 07:32 PM

i had eminem playing, so i thinks thats why i got pulled over, cop didnt like the music, i had all my windows down, i am definately going to fight it, cuz if u think $50 is nothing then y dont u pay for the ticket for me. i live in mass, i am going to check the law on it now. thanks for the advise
Old 08-02-2002, 09:01 PM

I Hear ya man........

About...5 years ago I think it was...maybe the summer of '96-the first year I had my Maxima... I got pulled over by a local police officer that got up right up in my face about playing my music on my stock BOSE system (at the time) too loud!! He gave me a really harsh and loud verbal warning. I had done nothing else wrong....maybe he didn't like 2Pac...i dunno..but now with some subs in the trunk...I make sure to keep my finger near the mute button when driving around...LOL.
By the way there is a law about a certain amount of decibals and certain amount of feet away...check with your local laws there.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:40 PM
jmax

Originally posted by blizz20oma
I'm not sure of the exact output but I know it's over 200W...
Chances are the laws won't be based on power output in your location, but look it up and see.
For the most part speakers are less than 1% efficient. So I seriously doubt that a bose systems output will be 200 watts. You would need a generater to power it. Check the code you were cited. And decide whether it is worth it to go to court. It's generally a matter of common sense and ability to speak coherently.

Old 08-02-2002, 11:16 PM

i dont know about there but most places enforce these laws by decibals and they are supposed to have a way of testing it as i understand...as far as the $50 dollar ticket is concerned thats not too bad...i got one a couple years ago for $240 dollars for loud music...i was mad but i guess thats the way it goes when you run about 600w of bass lol...he said he heard it coming from down the road a pretty good ways

now im just more careful
Old 08-02-2002, 11:54 PM

Re: Re: pulled over for loud music

Originally posted by maximamoose

hell yeah you can fight it. it is a stock system. if you don't have anything more than stock, then i don't think you can lose. why would they put a bose in there stock, if it was illegal?????? fight it my friend
Check your local laws before deciding anything. Louisiana's is 50 ft, and about any new stock system can exceed that. You'd lose in Louisiana if the cop testifies against you (it may not be right, but his word against yours. Who's the court going to believe?) $50 is pretty cheap, though. Just because it is put in there stock doesn't mean it is legal at its maximum (or even near maximum). Why can Maxima's do ~140 mph when the speed limit here is a max of 70 mph? Something to think about.

Dave
Old 08-03-2002, 12:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: pulled over for loud music

Originally posted by Dave Holmes
Just because it is put in there stock doesn't mean it is legal at its maximum (or even near maximum). Why can Maxima's do ~140 mph when the speed limit here is a max of 70 mph? Something to think about.

Dave
Yea, i was thinking the same thing. Stock or not stock, you can control the volume of your music as well as the speed. The exceptions is when cops pull you over for stock exhaust and clear corners (something you cannot control)
Old 08-03-2002, 06:47 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

that's sad
Old 08-03-2002, 07:14 AM
I'm so hood

Laws like this are kinda tricky, especially if it's a distance-enforced violation. There's no solid "proof" that the court has in this case - it's all at the officers discretion. But unfortunately in this innocent-until-proven-guilty system, a lot of times a cops word over yours is enough for small infractions.

For the most part speakers are less than 1% efficient. So I seriously doubt that a bose systems output will be 200 watts. You would need a generater to power it.
I'm sure anyone that understands car audio or audio in general is aware of this, but try to tell the courts. Even if you speak coherently and present yourself very well-mannered, if you're young and without an attorney or even an adult, all the sine wave charts, pie graphs, statistics in the world won't matter much.

It's worth a shot in court if you have the time.
Old 08-03-2002, 08:14 AM

lol - i was blasting necro once on my super stock radio (non-bose) and a female cop pulled me over (for those of you that never heard of necro download "light my fire") parental advisory
Old 08-03-2002, 08:50 AM

this is what it says.....
Chapter 90: Section 16. Offensive or illegal operation of motor vehicles.

Section 16. No person shall operate a motor vehicle, nor shall any owner of such vehicle permit it to be operated, in or over any way, public or private, whether laid out under authority of law or otherwise, which motor vehicles are prohibited from using, provided notice of such prohibition is conspicuously posted at the entrance to such way. No person shall operate a motor vehicle, nor shall any owner of such vehicle permit it to be operated upon any way, except fire department and fire patrol apparatus, unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a muffler to prevent excessive or unnecessary noise, which muffler is in good working order and in constant operation, and complies with such minimum standards for construction and performance as the registrar may prescribe. No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass. No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust. No person operating a motor vehicle shall sound a bell, horn or other device, nor in any manner operate such motor vehicle so as to make a harsh, objectionable or unreasonable noise, nor permit to escape from such vehicle smoke or pollutants in such amounts or at such levels as may violate motor vehicle air pollution control regulations adopted under the provisions of chapter one hundred and eleven. No siren shall be mounted upon any motor vehicle except fire apparatus, ambulances, vehicles used in official line of duty by any member of the police or fire fighting forces of the commonwealth or any agency or political subdivision thereof, and vehicles owned by call fire fighters or by persons with police powers and operated in official line of duty, unless authorized by the registrar. No person shall use on or in connection with any motor vehicle a spot light, so called, the rays from which shine more than two feet above the road at a distance of thirty feet from the vehicle, except that such a spot light may be used for the purpose of reading signs, and as an auxiliary light in cases of necessity when the other lights required by law fail to operate.

No person, except a duly authorized person driving an emergency fire vehicle, shall operate a motor vehicle equipped with metal studded tires upon a public way between May the first and November the first; provided, however, the registrar may authorize the use of such tires before November the first, if weather conditions require the use thereof. Whoever violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:00 AM
jmax

The laws I have seen for music are normally disturbing the peace citations. Which means if it is loud enough to be heard by someone who does not like it, it could be disturbing. How would you feel if a red neck pulled up next to you and had blue grass cranked up. What if your system blew a fuse at that moment, and you couldn't even roll up the windows. In this situation, most of us would be "disturbed" and could possibly understand why the law is worded as it is.

Old 08-03-2002, 10:54 AM

thumbs up to bose!~