4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Unhappy Electrical...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 10:56 PM

Unhappy Electrical...

Well, Im new to this forum, and ive already managed to blow out something electrical in the max... I put a different wiring harness on the side marker lights and put in a 55 watt halogen bulb...) I turned on the lights and heard something sizzle in the fuse box area and then the light died. Now my tails, sidemarkers, & clearance lights dont work... Basically, everything that is connected to the parking light circuit...

Like i said the fuse in the engine bay is fine
(is there another fuse/fusebox lurking mysteriously around, possibly in the cabin of the car? )

Any Help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks Guys. Hope to be posting alot...

(PS: What is the best HAI, and which is a better Y pipe, WSP or budget... just kidding)
Old 08-02-2002, 11:02 PM
jmax

Above your left knee, actually, a little to the left of.

Old 08-02-2002, 11:03 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Unhappy Electrical...

Originally posted by on_alert
Well, Im new to this forum, and ive already managed to blow out something electrical in the max... I put a different wiring harness on the side marker lights and put in a 55 watt halogen bulb...) I turned on the lights and heard something sizzle in the fuse box area and then the light died. Now my tails, sidemarkers, & clearance lights dont work... Basically, everything that is connected to the parking light circuit...

Like i said the fuse in the engine bay is fine
(is there another fuse/fusebox lurking mysteriously around, possibly in the cabin of the car? )

Any Help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks Guys. Hope to be posting alot...

(PS: What is the best HAI, and which is a better Y pipe, WSP or budget... just kidding)
yes, there's another fuse i believe marked for "taillight" ?? It's in the fuse thingy next to ure steering wheel (left under)
Old 08-02-2002, 11:11 PM

Hey there it was glaring me in the face...

Popped it open, theres the blown fuse. Kinda feel like an idiot though for not seeing it myself... i mean, come in its in the d a m n owners manuall.

Thanks Guys

Also: How can i find out what type of fuse to put in there. Im planning on putting a 55 watt halogen bulb in the blinkers and the sidemarkers. Trial and error? Think it'll melt the lens? Im willing to find out...

I also plan on modifying the blinkers so they are on all the time and flash on and off when actuated (not bright and dim)
Old 08-02-2002, 11:30 PM
jmax

Re: Hey there it was glaring me in the face...

Popped it open, theres the blown fuse. Kinda feel like an idiot though for not seeing it myself... i mean, come in its in the d a m n owners manuall.

Thanks Guys

Also: How can i find out what type of fuse to put in there. Im planning on putting a 55 watt halogen bulb in the blinkers and the sidemarkers. Trial and error? Think it'll melt the lens? Im willing to find out...

I also plan on modifying the blinkers so they are on all the time and flash on and off when actuated (not bright and dim)
Is 55 watts the consumptin or output? Most likely comsumtion. I thought stock bulbs were 55 watts, aftermarket 110 watts. Sorry, you said blinkers. Check the faqs to see if you will exceed the wiring limits of the bulbs. Otherwize, 55 X 2 for two bulbs is 110 watts. Divided by 12 volts is a hair under 10 amps. So if you are blowing a 10 amp fuse already, there is a problem in the wiring. Thinner wiring gets hotter than heavy wire. A matter of resistance. So thicker, heavier gauge wire will transmit power more easilly, and with less resistance.

Old 08-03-2002, 08:59 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Hey there it was glaring me in the face...

Thanks Guys

Stick with stock...
Old 08-03-2002, 09:04 AM
jmax

Check the lighting section in the Faq's. I don't know what gauge wire nissan used for the lights. That will most likely be your limiting factor when deciding if you can upgrade the fuse to a higher amperage.

Old 08-03-2002, 12:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Hey there it was glaring me in the face...

Originally posted by Chunger

Stick with stock...
thanks chunger, you just answered my question and i didnt even have to ask! on the back of my fuse plate, the fuse map isnt there. finally found it