4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Vibration at Speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 01:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Vibration at Speed

I have been fighting a vibration problem for years. At 65+ mph the steering would shake. New tires, balancing, alignment - nothing seemed to fix it. Sure it changed a little, sometime worse, sometimes better - but it was always there.

I had heard some good things about a "Road Force" balancer recently. This weekend I went into Discount Tire and demanded that they rebalance using the Road Force balancer. All trace of the vibration is gone. I am now a believer. My truck tires are going there this weekend.
Old 08-05-2002, 04:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Vibration at Speed

Man... I'm having slight vibration at 75+mph and just got the tires balanced by the Hunter GSP9700 roadforce system without improvement. Maybe my problem is elsewhere...
Old 08-05-2002, 04:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

search, there are a lot of threads on this

but, unless you have warped roters, i would be willing to bet that it is wheel balancing.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:18 PM

Worn CV joints can cause vibration in the steering wheel. I replaced the driveaxles when I had my clutch replaced and to my surprise my steering wheel vibration went away. My CV joinst were not clicking but they were leaking grease. Then one day when I was looking through my haynes manual it listed worn CV joints as a possilbe cause for steering wheel vibration. Go figure.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Miasma
search, there are a lot of threads on this

but, unless you have warped roters, i would be willing to bet that it is wheel balancing.
I was thinking about that... got new brembo blanks recently. I noticed that after balancing, the weights were placed on inside lip only. I'm wondering if they also used adhesive weights along the wall, if they would have gotten a better balance. The GSP9700 is supposed to be the gold standard... is it even worth it to go back and have them do it again?

Speedtrip. Yeah, I'm kind of leaning toward axle problems. No noise when turning. They apparently look intact and clean. But the last two months, I hear very low speed ricketty popping/knocking coming from down low, in front. I can barely feel them too (I think). I have 80k on my OEM clutch now and will definitely serve up some Raxles.com when I need to change the clutch. It seems though that this is a new symptom while the vibration has been around for some 3 years (out of 7 since owning the car new). The vibration seems to manifest itself more when I coast too. I don't notice it as much if I'm using the throttle, however modestly.