4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 08:00 AM

Help!

OK Guys,

I need your expert opinion. My baby has 142K on it and the knock sensor has been malfunctioning for about 20K now. I use 92 Octane so did not really feel the need to replace the KS. However, now at idle I have a slight engine shake; with A/C turned on, that shake gets pronounced even more. My car is also running lean, as there is no trace of black carbon at all inside the tail pipe. At low rpms, the engine surges a little bit too. I added Injector Cleaners of all sort, but it did not help. I have a feeling the Injectors are either sticky or are near the end of their lifespan.

What do you think I should do. I am thinking of replacing the KS and all the fuel injectors myself. The whole repair is going to cost me $600 (parts) and if I get it done at dealership, its going to be almost twice the amount.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-08-2002, 08:11 AM

Re: Help!

Originally posted by Umer95SE
OK Guys,

I need your expert opinion. My baby has 142K on it and the knock sensor has been malfunctioning for about 20K now. I use 92 Octane so did not really feel the need to replace the KS. However, now at idle I have a slight engine shake; with A/C turned on, that shake gets pronounced even more. My car is also running lean, as there is no trace of black carbon at all inside the tail pipe. At low rpms, the engine surges a little bit too. I added Injector Cleaners of all sort, but it did not help. I have a feeling the Injectors are either sticky or are near the end of their lifespan.

What do you think I should do. I am thinking of replacing the KS and all the fuel injectors myself. The whole repair is going to cost me $600 (parts) and if I get it done at dealership, its going to be almost twice the amount.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!
I had a very similiar problem replaced three coils, spark plugs and the Knock Sensors. Car runs great. I also ordered a new fuel filter to be safe but did not get it yet.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:54 AM

Re: Re: Help!

Originally posted by orgasmicNYC

I had a very similiar problem replaced three coils, spark plugs and the Knock Sensors. Car runs great. I also ordered a new fuel filter to be safe but did not get it yet.

I would suspect that if the coils were going bad, engine would be shaking like a mad dog. This is more like a vibration. If coils were bad, the spark plugs would not even fire, right!!!!????

Thanks for replying though!!
Old 08-08-2002, 03:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Help!

Originally posted by Umer95SE

I would suspect that if the coils were going bad, engine would be shaking like a mad dog. This is more like a vibration. If coils were bad, the spark plugs would not even fire, right!!!!????

Thanks for replying though!!
Engine shook every 30-60 seconds. The coil was not dead just misfiring the singal to the sparkplug. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:26 PM

hmmm...i might have a similar sympton...how much were the coil packs?
Old 08-08-2002, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by QikEnuf
hmmm...i might have a similar sympton...how much were the coil packs?
They were like $63 dollars each at my local nissan.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:53 AM

sweet...i'll have to check it out..thanks