4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

EVAP Cannister and Valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 09:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

EVAP Cannister and Valve

I got a 0215 code from my car the other day, so I read up on it here and set out to check the valve.

Well, the little nut that holds the valve on one side spun in the plastic housing. After about an hour and half, I got the valve off but the nut and bolt were still there.

The valve was stuck so I sprayed it down with WD40 and worked it back and forth for five or ten minutes.

I am REAL short on funds right now because some bad stuff just happened.

I think I am just gonna grab the cannister from a local junk yard with the valve attached. I can r&r the valve and then get a new valve in a couple weeks when things get back to normal.

Is there any danger in driving the car for an extended period of time like this? I am not sure exactly how that system effects fuel pressure and whatnot - if I am running rich then I will burn up my CAT.

Also, what years will work on my car? I assume all 4th gen but I want to make sure...

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-10-2002, 04:04 PM

Same thing happened to me. Any year 95-99 will fit your car, but the canister and evap valve have to be of the same year. See, in around 98, they upgraded the evap valve due to sealing issues in the past models. So basically make sure that if you take a canister off of a 95 or 98, that the evap valve is on it or that you get the valve that coresponds to the same year of the canister. Any more questions, just post.
Old 08-10-2002, 06:11 PM

Re: EVAP Cannister and Valve

Originally posted by Entropy
I got a 0215 code from my car the other day, so I read up on it here and set out to check the valve.

Well, the little nut that holds the valve on one side spun in the plastic housing. After about an hour and half, I got the valve off but the nut and bolt were still there.

The valve was stuck so I sprayed it down with WD40 and worked it back and forth for five or ten minutes.

I am REAL short on funds right now because some bad stuff just happened.

I think I am just gonna grab the cannister from a local junk yard with the valve attached. I can r&r the valve and then get a new valve in a couple weeks when things get back to normal.

Is there any danger in driving the car for an extended period of time like this? I am not sure exactly how that system effects fuel pressure and whatnot - if I am running rich then I will burn up my CAT.

Also, what years will work on my car? I assume all 4th gen but I want to make sure...

Thanks for any help.
Your driveability won't be affected at all. This is only used for a brief period to test the evaporative emission system. It has nothing to do with your fuel mixture. I've had this problem for the better part of a year with no issues whatsoever. I'm too lazy/cheap to fix it. I'll get around to it sooner or later.