4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Holy Crap, did anyone notice Iron Lung's 99 5spd dyno: 191hp and 205tq

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 09:23 PM
SLOW

Holy Crap, did anyone notice Iron Lung's 99 5spd dyno: 191hp and 205tq

Please forgive me for copying and pasting your post Iron Lung... I just wanted everyone to see this. That is the strongest dyno I've ever seen for an N/A 4th gen without an aftermarket ECU (with the exception of Keven who had his manifolds extrude honed). You sure you don't have an ECU in there I've seen a few max's putting down that HP but never 205 tq without an ECU. Nice!! Any way you can scan the dyno sheet? I'd love to see it.

190.8 HP - 205.1 TQ
99 SE Manual

Mods:
Hybrid Intake
Cattman Y-Pipe
Test Pipe
Apex WS Catback
UPD Pulley

190.8 HP@5200
205.1 TQ@4500
Old 08-10-2002, 09:28 PM

that is very good.........sounds like he took what he got at the wheels and calcuated it to crank HP though
Old 08-10-2002, 09:54 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Hey Iron Lung,

Are you using the Auto ECU and harness? I am and Harold dyno'ed and said it gave him more HP/TQ over the manual ECU...it would be cool if that gives us a significant boost in power!
Old 08-10-2002, 10:02 PM

Re: Holy Crap, did anyone notice Iron Lung's 99 5spd dyno: 191hp and 205tq

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Please forgive me for copying and pasting your post Iron Lung... I just wanted everyone to see this. That is the strongest dyno I've ever seen for an N/A 4th gen without an aftermarket ECU (with the exception of Keven who had his manifolds extrude honed). You sure you don't have an ECU in there I've seen a few max's putting down that HP but never 205 tq without an ECU. Nice!! Any way you can scan the dyno sheet? I'd love to see it.

190.8 HP - 205.1 TQ
99 SE Manual

Mods:
Hybrid Intake
Cattman Y-Pipe
Test Pipe
Apex WS Catback
UPD Pulley

190.8 HP@5200
205.1 TQ@4500
It really suprised me also, seeing that I am running as rich as I am. I am also using one step colder denso plugs.
I will post the dyno sheet along with my air fuel ratio sheet when I figure out how to make my scanner work with windows Xp.

Craig..I am still using the auto ecu.

Oh and Bejay1 has about the same hp and torque that I have.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:29 PM

Man that is good

I was disappointed with my numbers on my 97 5-speed:
168.4 HP and 188.9 ft-lbs Max

POP intake
Stillen 2-piece Y
Courtesy B
5th gen muffler
UDP
Brembo Gran Turismo brake kit
17X8 SSR Integrals

I had my dyno done in 3rd gear on a dynojet. I was also running 87 octane Mobil gas, stock 56K mile spark plugs, and a 30K old fuel filter. I added the Hyper Ground wires to get up to 176 HP, then I changed my spark plugs, fuel filter, and started filling up with 91 again. I've only filled up with 87 five times since 97. After the dyno, I feel better with 91. I'd like to back for another dyno once I install my RT cat and stillen b-pipe. Hopefully I'll get up to 190 WHP before I install and tune the S-AFC.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:52 PM

Re: Man that is good

thats not bad at all -
Originally posted by Kevin Wong
I was disappointed with my numbers on my 97 5-speed:
168.4 HP and 188.9 ft-lbs Max

POP intake
Stillen 2-piece Y
Courtesy B
5th gen muffler
UDP
Brembo Gran Turismo brake kit
17X8 SSR Integrals

I had my dyno done in 3rd gear on a dynojet. I was also running 87 octane Mobil gas, stock 56K mile spark plugs, and a 30K old fuel filter. I added the Hyper Ground wires to get up to 176 HP, then I changed my spark plugs, fuel filter, and started filling up with 91 again. I've only filled up with 87 five times since 97. After the dyno, I feel better with 91. I'd like to back for another dyno once I install my RT cat and stillen b-pipe. Hopefully I'll get up to 190 WHP before I install and tune the S-AFC.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:02 PM
SLOW

95emeraldgxe--again you show that you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Iron-- BEJAY1 has a G-Force ECU. Thats why I made my comment about yours being the strongest I've seen without an aftermarket ECU.

Kevin--Yeah those numbers are really weak. I bet the 87 octane was causing a bit of a knock, which the ECU cured by pulling back timing which had the nast side effect of killing your hp.
Old 08-11-2002, 03:08 PM

Does anyone know how to make a scanner work when you convert over to windows xp. I have a umax arista 3400.
Old 08-11-2002, 03:33 PM

95emeraldgxe--again you show that you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Iron-- BEJAY1 has a G-Force ECU. Thats why I made my comment about yours being the strongest I've seen without an aftermarket ECU.

Kevin--Yeah those numbers are really weak. I bet the 87 octane was causing a bit of a knock, which the ECU cured by pulling back timing which had the nast side effect of killing your hp.
making more HP at the wheels than at the crank .........
Old 08-11-2002, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

Did you notice that I have MODIFIED my car. That means that power is increased at the wheels as well as the crank.
Old 08-11-2002, 05:03 PM

Iron Lung,

If your scanner is old and on a SCSI bus, you may need to install the ASPI layer from Adaptec. You can find it here.

ASPI from Adaptec

You may need to install the original driver also.
Old 08-11-2002, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Iron Lung
Does anyone know how to make a scanner work when you convert over to windows xp. I have a umax arista 3400.
Have you tried installing it w/ the add hardware or add scanner/camera options that can be found in the control panel? I've had XP for a little while and it's been all right but lately a virus has been messing up my registry. I may have to re-format
To keep this on topic those are nice numbers. They are SAE corrected right? I really wonder if the UDP does that much - most of the cars I've seen that I thought dynoed high, have UDPs. My car w/ WSP y and Stillen HAI came to 177 hp and 186 torque (I was at 130,000 miles). 5 speed taken in 3rd. I'd love to have over 200 tq.
Old 08-11-2002, 05:59 PM

Well it for sure gives me more hope since I own a 99 5spd as well..Great job..Yeah I like the comment about calculatin his crank hp from his wheel hp..So he is still at 190 with all those mods..wha hahaha
Old 08-11-2002, 06:14 PM
SLOW

95emeraldgxe stop polluting good threads with your idiocy. He is modified you fool, of course he is making more HP at the wheels than a stock max would, but you obviously were too blinded by your need to post useless posts to notice that... most of the time people ignore you on here, but when you make comments that are moronic, and then continue to post even though you don't have the slightest idea of whats going on, its quite annoying. I and most other people on this board are tired of your incessant post whoring, SHUT UP.

Back to business, I wonder if there is anything to the fact that you are still using an auto ECU on a 5spd.... hmmm.

Iron, have you had any problems running an auto ECU on your 5spd? any check engine lights or anything like that?
Old 08-11-2002, 06:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am thinking either that some dyno's show generally either high or low, or that on occasion, you luck out and own a factory freak. Particularly with 97+, there are a few that come out much better than the norm for what they have.
Old 08-11-2002, 06:21 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Back to business, I wonder if there is anything to the fact that you are still using an auto ECU on a 5spd.... hmmm.

Iron, have you had any problems running an auto ECU on your 5spd? any check engine lights or anything like that?
Neal,

The auto ECU will cause your CEL to come on, becuase it "cant talk" to your transmission anymore. The auto ECU's have an extra part built in especially for the auto's. That's the only reason they come on. But it is my understanding that the CEL light effects emissions only so who cares...

I'm gonna talk to Harold and find out all the power info.
Old 08-11-2002, 06:24 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by Mishmosh
I am thinking either that some dyno's show generally either high or low, or that on occasion, you luck out and own a factory freak. Particularly with 97+, there are a few that come out much better than the norm for what they have.
I doubt that's what we're seeing here. His HP numbers are right on par with alot of the most modded 5spds, including some that I have seen on the dyno with my own eyes (BEJAY1, his dyno with STOCK ecu, Max7, etc), but his peak TQ is 10-15 ft lb higher than one would expect given that he does not have an aftermarket ECU. I don't think its an issue with the dyno, because that would affect his HP as well as his TQ since HP is just a function of TQ at RPM.
Old 08-11-2002, 06:26 PM

Thanks MAX_PA and Toolrocks I have will try those when I get home.

Nealoc187 I do get have about 8 codes that come up all relating to the automatic sensors. I would like to think that it gave me more horsepower though. Has anyone else who converted done a dyno?

Mishmosh it could be the dyno. The guy at the shop said a new Eclipse came in before me and he was putting down 180 HP with an intake only. Anyone know what they usually dyno?

When I was an auto, I got my car dynoed at Maxus 2001 and it only put down 155hp and 175tq with everthing except for the pulley, but I think my knock sensor was out at that time.
Old 08-11-2002, 06:38 PM
SLOW

Thanks MAX_PA and Toolrocks I have will try those when I get home.

Nealoc187 I do get have about 8 codes that come up all relating to the automatic sensors. I would like to think that it gave me more horsepower though. Has anyone else who converted done a dyno?

Mishmosh it could be the dyno. The guy at the shop said a new Eclipse came in before me and he was putting down 180 HP with an intake only. Anyone know what they usually dyno?

When I was an auto, I got my car dynoed at Maxus 2001 and it only put down 155hp and 175tq with everthing except for the pulley, but I think my knock sensor was out at that time.
Its not the dyno, your HP numbers would be inflated too if it was. But they aren't. 180hp from a V6 eclipse with just intake is about right, they put down 170 stock.

I need an ECU to send to JWT to have reprogrammed anyway, I'm about to just buy an auto ECU for the heck of it. There are alot more of them available, and after seeing your results, I'd like to compare an auto to my 5spd ECU. I'm not worried about CEL because mine is on all the time anyways, I was just wondering if there are any problems with various systems functioning.
Old 08-11-2002, 07:00 PM

Its not the dyno, your HP numbers would be inflated too if it was. But they aren't. 180hp from a V6 eclipse with just intake is about right, they put down 170 stock.

I need an ECU to send to JWT to have reprogrammed anyway, I'm about to just buy an auto ECU for the heck of it. There are alot more of them available, and after seeing your results, I'd like to compare an auto to my 5spd ECU. I'm not worried about CEL because mine is on all the time anyways, I was just wondering if there are any problems with various systems functioning.
I dont think there would be a problem except for the CEL. I still get about 24 mpg and I have had no problems at all. I will say one thing I forgot to mention, I replaced all six coils about a week before the dyno, but I really didn't feel much difference. I should be getting the fields air fuel computer (if they ship it off) next week. Hopefully with that and the VI i will be putting down over 200 HP.
Old 08-11-2002, 07:40 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Hey Iron Lung,

Are you using the Auto ECU and harness? I am and Harold dyno'ed and said it gave him more HP/TQ over the manual ECU...it would be cool if that gives us a significant boost in power!
hlh501 told me that he only replaced the ECu and his engine light went away...u don't have to replace the harness according to him....i replaced my ECU wit manual but before i replaced, i had a few problems that skee still has to fix, so when all that is taken care of, i'll let you all know...plus i need a tune up....
Old 08-11-2002, 09:29 PM

One other thing...Notice that torque is at 205 lb-ft. At the crank, a 4th gen has 208 lb-ft. Oh yeah, there was the whole list of mods, too.

Edit: Oh yeah, great numbers Iron Lung. You're making about the same as a 5th gen, I think. I'd love to see how much you'd make with an MEVI! Any idea what you'd run in the 1320?
Old 08-11-2002, 09:40 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I don't want to take anything away from Ironlung, but IMO I think the dyno might have something to do with it. I've seen a handful of V6 Eclipses dyno at my shop and they couldn't break 170fwhp. This was with intakes, catbacks, and UDPs too. Ironlung's Max dynoed at 191fwhp and 205ft/lbs which is pretty high in both hp and tq. He's not running lightweight rims and tires either. Type E's aren't terribly heavy, but they are a bit heavier than stock, especially with the KDWs.

The real test would be to have Ironlung take his car to the track. With numbers like that, he should easily be hitting 97mph+ trapspeeds quite easily on a cooler day.

Dave
Old 08-11-2002, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
I don't want to take anything away from Ironlung, but IMO I think the dyno might have something to do with it. I've seen a handful of V6 Eclipses dyno at my shop and they couldn't break 170fwhp. This was with intakes, catbacks, and UDPs too. Ironlung's Max dynoed at 191fwhp and 205ft/lbs which is pretty high in both hp and tq. He's not running lightweight rims and tires either. Type E's aren't terribly heavy, but they are a bit heavier than stock, especially with the KDWs.

The real test would be to have Ironlung take his car to the track. With numbers like that, he should easily be hitting 97mph+ trapspeeds quite easily on a cooler day.

Dave
You could be right. But doesnt the new eclipse have 210 hp at the crank? I should have also mentioned that I dynoed on my stock 16" and tires(toyo)(which arent that light either) because I have been testing out the nitrous and when launching on my 17" it made it feel as if my motor was gonna come off of the mounts. GOOD LORD is it violent.

I went to the track, but I didn't run without the nitrous, but I'll go back on Thursday to see what it will do N/A. I had a horrible 60'(2.4) but I ran a 14.1@102mph with the nitrous surging on and off because I'm running really rich(as much as 10.5/1).

I am still trying to learn how to effectively launch so hopefully by cooler weather I will have some better 60'. Tommorow I will post the dyno and air fuel charts when I get the scanner to work.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:14 PM
SLOW

You could be right. But doesnt the new eclipse have 210 hp at the crank? I should have also mentioned that I dynoed on my stock 16" and tires(toyo)(which arent that light either) because I have been testing out the nitrous and when launching on my 17" it made it feel as if my motor was gonna come off of the mounts. GOOD LORD is it violent.

I went to the track, but I didn't run without the nitrous, but I'll go back on Thursday to see what it will do N/A. I had a horrible 60'(2.4) but I ran a 14.1@102mph with the nitrous surging on and off because I'm running really rich(as much as 10.5/1).

I am still trying to learn how to effectively launch so hopefully by cooler weather I will have some better 60'. Tommorow I will post the dyno and air fuel charts when I get the scanner to work.
They are 200 at the crank, not 210.

Black VQ, its 205tq rated at the crank, where'd you get 208?
Old 08-11-2002, 11:15 PM

They are 200 at the crank, not 210.

Black VQ, its 205tq rated at the crank, where'd you get 208?
for 2003? I thought that it was 210 hp and 205 TQ
Old 08-12-2002, 12:14 AM

Yeah, but he's talking about 4th gen
Old 08-12-2002, 01:47 AM

Sounds like my 5-speed times with a 100-shot on STREET TIRES...I went 14.0@103mph....

with my 5-shot I went 14.0@99mph....go figure
Old 08-12-2002, 02:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Iron and Neo, I just checked Edmunds.

At the crank, the Eclipse GT styles puts out 200 hp.

The GT-S puts out 210.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:47 AM

Ok this damn scanner is driving me crazy. I installed the adaptec ASPI installer and I reinstalled the scanner software. This is what it tells me when I run the scanner test:

Error Message
Scanner Access Fail

Solution
Can not find UMAX scanner, Please check the following items:
1. The scanner is not power on and ready
2. Your scanner is not power on before your system start.

Well I can assure you that the scanner is on.

When I go into the scanner program and try to aquire:
Error Opening Data Source

Do I need to buy another scanner?

Oh and I just found out that my cd writer dosent work anymore also
Old 08-13-2002, 07:41 AM

This is the Air Fuel Chart:

This is the Horspower graph:

And the Torque:
Old 08-13-2002, 08:23 AM

i don't think they have ecu upgrades for 99 anyway, so i don't think he could have one, or am i just misinformed, if they do have an ecu upgrade i'd like to get one for my 99.5
Old 08-13-2002, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Neal,

The auto ECU will cause your CEL to come on, becuase it "cant talk" to your transmission anymore. The auto ECU's have an extra part built in especially for the auto's. That's the only reason they come on. But it is my understanding that the CEL light effects emissions only so who cares...

I'm gonna talk to Harold and find out all the power info.
So there is an auto ecu for 99's? If so where did u get it and how much?
Old 08-13-2002, 12:56 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by johnvt1111

So there is an auto ecu for 99's? If so where did u get it and how much?
He means a stock automatic ECU (which he is still using even though he has swapped in a 5spd tranny).
Old 08-13-2002, 02:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is useing the Auto ECU with the 5 speed supposed to give a power gain?
Old 08-13-2002, 07:31 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by Anachronism
Is useing the Auto ECU with the 5 speed supposed to give a power gain?
Thats what were trying to figure out.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:28 AM

Thats what were trying to figure out.
So does my dyno look any different that a similar max with the same mods?
Old 08-15-2002, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

Dave
I just got back from the track and ran a 14.55 @ 96.14 with a 2.3 60' NA. I only did one NA because I kept lining up with a black Firebird and I just had to juice it. Anyways the temp was around 88 F and humidity was around 70%. My best run with nitrous did not please me because its still surging on and off. It was a 14.20 @ 101 mph. So am I putting out less than what the dyno says?
Old 08-16-2002, 10:44 AM
SLOW

Thats a very very good time, and the trapspeed says you are definately making decent power even under hot and humid conditions. does anyone have a program that allows them to overlay 2 images, so they can overlay Iron Lungs torque curve with some other bolt on 5spds and see how they compare?
Old 08-16-2002, 11:08 AM
Keven97SE

Looking at your n/a air/fuel chart, your car looks to be running perfect. The A/F starts off a little leaner (~13.5:1) at lower rpms but then gradually richens to ~12:1 at higher rpms. Looks good. However, your nitrous A/F could use some work at ~4600 rpm. Look at the rich A/F at that rpm (~10.5:1) and corresponding torque dip at the same rpm. You're so rich at that rpm that you have a torque dip there. There is nothing mechanical (cams, intake manifold, etc) that would explain that feature. If you could tune the A/F to around 11.5:1 from 4300-on (to match what you have ~5500 rpm), I think you'd see that torque dip go away and have more torque between ~4500 and 5300 rpms.

This is the Air Fuel Chart:

This is the Horspower graph:

And the Torque:

Quick Reply: Holy Crap, did anyone notice Iron Lung's 99 5spd dyno: 191hp and 205tq