4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake HELP!!!!!!! Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 08:26 PM

Brake HELP!!!!!!! Please

I change my brakes (front and rear)) on my 98 (ABS) last week, but since then I have a loud whining noise (sound like UUUUUUUUHHHHMMMMMM) from my rear brake every time that I put the car on reverse and apply the brake (only happen when I hit the brake). Any help ...I only change the pads only, I reused all the other stuffs (shims, etc) ..What I did wrong?? ...I got the Raybestos pads the quiet ones, so I don't think that the pads are the problem. Any help appreciate..
Old 08-11-2002, 09:50 PM

Re: Brake HELP!!!!!!! Please

Originally posted by el7864
I change my brakes (front and rear)) on my 98 (ABS) last week, but since then I have a loud whining noise (sound like UUUUUUUUHHHHMMMMMM) from my rear brake every time that I put the car on reverse and apply the brake (only happen when I hit the brake). Any help ...I only change the pads only, I reused all the other stuffs (shims, etc) ..What I did wrong?? ...I got the Raybestos pads the quiet ones, so I don't think that the pads are the problem. Any help appreciate..
Don't know if it is the problem, but worth checking because I had done it to my rears and got a "click" (actually more of a "clunk") when braking. When you put the caliper back on, make sure the little nub on the back of the inner pad seats in one of the slots of the piston (the slots you turn the piston in with). May be hard to get a mental picture at first, but when you look at it, you should see exactly what I mean. Also make sure everything is clean, caliper pins are greased, and I always recommend Permatex Disc Brake Quiet. Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 08-11-2002, 11:33 PM

Did you regrease the shims? if you didnt, doing so might stop the noise. Also, make sure you didnt put the pads in backwards.

Old 08-12-2002, 09:05 AM

I am going to buy the hardware kit for the rear brake and redo it this weekend again...Any more suggestion????
Old 08-12-2002, 10:48 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Make sure the notches in the piston are lined up correctly. They should look like a plus sign. + One at the top, bottom and each side. The bottom notch slips over the notch in the pad. Just make sure this happens.

The pins that the caliper bolts onto should be removed, cleaned and regreased with high temp grease. Just slip the rubber cover off the main brake mount, the pin will slide right out. Clean off the old grease, regrease it and put it back in. You may have to work it around a bit to get the pin all the way in. The grease traps the air behind the pin. You'll feel it. Just spin it around and keep working at it.

Use new shims on the pads and you might want to spray some anti squeal on the back of the pads before you attach the shims. The anti squeal is tacky and will hold the shims firmly in place.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

what they said!

If the noise is unrelated to immediate braking in the back I'd say it's the e-brake cables.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:15 PM

No the sound come up only when I apply the brake.... a load low pitch uuuuuummmmmmmm sound.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:20 PM

I have this problem with my 97, also with completely new pads, rotors and hardware kit.

But, this only happens when I brake from..say, 80-30mph, and coming from the rear only. I checked, checked and redid my brakes like 5 times, but the sound is still there.

Now, when I look at the rotors (they are slotted), seems to me that the rear brake pads are too small in length to connect the slots, and I believe this is the one causes the slight "hum".

During normal operation (braking from 40-0, for example), the sound is not there. The brake pedal did not have any pulsation either.

Old 08-12-2002, 06:33 PM

I had the exact same problem after I got my e-brake malfunction anti-malfunctioned. The guys at the dealership did a bad job of putting my brakes back together. A few weeks later I was getting the most horrendous groaning noise as I backed down my driveway. Took it back, they said that the rear brake cables and stuff were loose. The bill reads something like "Cleaned, readjusted right rear brake cables and apperatus." I suppose if that sounds stunningly vague to you, you could go to Meineke and get the free brake check :-)
Old 08-13-2002, 08:53 AM

Thanks to everybody,,,but my problem is only when I put the car in reverse and apply the brake..if I do not hit the brake everything is fine...it only happen in reverse and when I hit the brake...forward is not problem.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:22 AM

Thanks to everybody,,,but my problem is only when I put the car in reverse and apply the brake..if I do not hit the brake everything is fine...it only happen in reverse and when I hit the brake...forward is not problem.
Some brakes make a groaning sound when they are cold. Its just the semi metallic surface rubbing on the rotor.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:50 AM

No, my new pads are not semimetalic, they are Raybestos organic quiet stop. and the sound is a loud low "UUUUUUUUHHHHHHHMMMMMMMM" sound.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:52 AM

No, my new pads are not semimetalic, they are Raybestos organic quiet stop. and the sound is a loud low "UUUUUUUUHHHHHHHMMMMMMMM" sound.
like a creaking noise a slow creak like a an old door being opened.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:31 AM

I'm also having a brake problem. I installed my new front brakes like 3 weeks ago and they were fine until a few days ago. They werent making any noises or anything. Now when I brake at like 1-2mph, I mean im crawling and i hit the brake really gentle I get a "HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM" humming bass kind of noise from the front. If I stomp hard it goes away, same thing if I brake at a fast speed. Any ideas?

shaz
Old 08-13-2002, 11:01 AM

el7864, when i said that i heard the noise as i was backing down the driveway, i meant that it was when i was putting the brakes on in reverse. My driveway slopes down. So I guess you should go make sure your cables are tight and in the right place and such because my car was exhibiting the exact same symptoms as yours.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:02 PM

Thanks for everyone's suggestion, but what part is the "ebrake"?.
I found out that if I put the car in reverse and used the hand brake, I also get the "humming" sound (without applying the foot brake), I don't get the sound if I put the car to "D" drive.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:13 PM
rmb

Thanks for everyone's suggestion, but what part is the "ebrake"?.
I found out that if I put the car in reverse and used the hand brake, I also get the "humming" sound (without applying the foot brake), I don't get the sound if I put the car to "D" drive.
"E"mergency or Parking brake or hand brake... same thing.

I'd pull apart your rears again, use Nissan Pads and a new shim/spring kit. Regrease your pins and make sure that you don't use too much lube and create a little "hydraulic" lock problem on the pins.

Either have the rotors turned or at least break the glaze with a very fine grit sandpaper and a circular motion over both sides of the discs.

Make sure the e-brake cable routed correctly and that the little tab where it slots into the "trailing" arm of the suspension (but not really a trailing arm) is engaged and not riding up.

-RMB
Old 08-15-2002, 02:42 PM

I'm telling you el7864, the symptoms you are describing are EXACTLY the same as mine when the shop did a bad job of putting my brakes back together. Specifically, they said they had to adjust the right rear brake cables.

My car was making a loud, low hum when i put the car in reverse and applied the brakes. It did not make a noise when I put it in drive. You don't have to get new parts, and if you don't believe me, just go to Meineke and get the free brake check.