4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

stock mods to 96 GLE? what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2000, 12:42 AM

I own a 96 GLE. I want to update the wheels and foglights to a SE. My question is what should I do to make it fast without spending a lot of money if none to make it faster. I read something about an add on CPU module. Where do I get these, how much do they cost, how do I program them..etc.?
What about cheap bolt ons...I don't want to produce much noise if any at all. I know I have an auto but there's gotta be something I can do for cheap to make it faster..I mean a lot faster withou NOS and supercharger. What do u guys think?? Thanks
Old 12-15-2000, 03:35 AM
Master Will

https://maxima.org/maxfaqs/index.shtml

Ok if you don't want any noise then you can get some underdrive pulleys they are smaller pullleys so it does not take much to turn them making it easier on the engine to run accesssories like AC etc,etc,and you can lower your car this will make it more aerodynamic thus making it "faster" by being easier to handle being lower to the ground,you exactly can't get a real improvement reading,you can get an ecu upgrade this will change the stock computer readings such as changing the rev lmiter and speed limiter and the air/fuel/ratio/mix thus making the car perform better from the computers standpoint than stock,to be straight man it you want speed you WILL have to have some noise and it will sound good,check this,have you ever heard of a "quiet" NASCAR or NHRA drag car? No! noise is good in some cases more horsepower. So if you want more speed and less noise you choioces are limited,you also can try some lighter wheels have them weighed and get a real light set but they are very expensive this will make it easier for the engine to turn them.....
Old 12-15-2000, 11:36 AM

well

from what i've heard ypipe doesn't add all that much noise if the rest of your exhaust is stock ..

if you don't want noise get a UPRD ECU .. go to http://www.maximadriver.com for more info..

But in my opinion noise is good
i absolutely love the sound my CAI makes at 5K rpm

yeah go with the stock fogs.. but get different rims.. why would you want stock SE rims.. they'll cost you more than aftermarket rims ...
if you want to make it look like an SE max don't forget the spoiler..

Ant
Old 12-15-2000, 03:58 PM

I think I might have mislead ya'll a little bit. I know that I'll have to add a little noise, which is fine with me, but I don't want it to sound real whiny or too deep like most of the modded Integras and Civic's I see. I do want to make it sound a little more aggressive if u know what I mean. Oh - the car came with a spoiler (COOL!). I want to know what the best and least expensive mod is - updating the computer, exhaust system, or lowering with new suspension all around. Or if there are any other recommendations.... I don't want a CAI b/c it will sound funny and I don't want to risk the water problem. Overall, the car is quick with the only mods being a K&N panel filter and split fire performance plugs. It actually spins some on take off and chirps into second on most asphalt. However, it is not NEAR AS FAST as my 90 Legend coupe with a chip. The acura would smoke my maxima (in the least). Please give me any info that will help on what mods would be the best for me. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2000, 04:38 PM

90 Legend coupe with a chip?

Do you mean 91? My friend has a 90 and it doesn't even come close to beating my car. Much less catching up. Also, the CAI won't make your Max sound funny, it just gives it a more aggressive sound like a quiet IROC. And there is no water problem unless your area is prone to 5 ft. floods.