4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Home Brake Job = Reverse woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 09:26 PM

Home Brake Job = Reverse woes

Well i own a 1999 maxima GLE ATX and i just recently bought new OEM pads from nissan... so i basically changed the pads and machined the rotors the brown way by sanding them down a bit... i also replaced the rear shims since it was rusted to hell... now heres my problem.. when i go forward, everything seems fine and it brakes nicely, but as i put it into reverse it makes a LOUD noise in the cabin and the entire cabin vibrates... i think it has something to do with the rear brakes since when i pull the hand brake it does it as well... as i said i tried getting new shims but that didnt work ... can anybody lend some advice or must this cheap brown guy pay dealer prices to have his rotors machines cause thats all i can think of right now? BTW i also let the pads wear in for over 4000 km so it should be matched evenly with the rotors even if they were a bit uneven... HeLp ME!
Old 08-24-2002, 10:27 AM

Make sure all the bolts on the calipers and torque plates are in place. If you lost a lower bolt, the car will stop OK going forwards, but in reverse the caliper will come up and stick to your rim. I've had this happen in my old car.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:43 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Brake grone from the rear when going in reverse. I believe there was a TSB on that noise. It means your rear calipers are dragging a bit. Did you regrease the pins the caliper floats on when you did your brake job? If not, they could be binding up just a little bit and causing your groan noise.

My 99 SE-L made that groan every once in a while when I first baught it. It didn't bother me much and eventually went away. I've since upgraded my brakes with the pads and rotors from Stillen and the groan has yet to return.

Give it some time and it may go away. If not, I'd take the calipers off, remove the 2 pins, clean and regrease them using hi temp grease. That will most likely cure your problem.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:17 AM

actually i just used nissam OEM pads when i changed them and there was no holes for the pins
Old 09-15-2002, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by mazda_speedstar
actually i just used nissam OEM pads when i changed them and there was no holes for the pins
The "pins" are what your calipers bolt onto. Take off the rubber dust cover and pull them out. Clean, regrease & put them back in.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:47 PM

You should take your rotors to autozone or o'reilly to have them turned for like 5 dollars a piece.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by SamMan23
You should take your rotors to autozone or o'reilly to have them turned for like 5 dollars a piece.
Don't resurface rotors unless there out of spec for run out. (you feel vibrations when braking)

Resurfacing removes material which shortens the rotors life.