4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Funny Custom Midpipe Story - Kinda Long

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 12:08 PM

Funny Custom Midpipe Story - Kinda Long

Well, my "Custom" upper intake is done and installed. I reset my ECU and just took it out for a spin to make sure everything was working fine, and to enjoy the great noise at WOT. I'm heading down my quiet suburban street, and I decide to rev it just a little before I get to the highway. I hit the gas and... the pedal only goes down halfway! Of course I'm flipping out, thinking that something is wrong with my ECU or the sensors aren't reading enough air, and are keeping the throttle from opening up. I stopped and popped the hood, checked all my hoses and sensors... everything looks ok. I drove it right back to my house, and the gas pedal still won't go in more than a couple inches.

Once I got back, I opened the hood again, and tried moving the lever on the TB... It bumps into the clamp holding the black flex pipe of the intake to the TB.

DUMBASS

All that worrying was for nothing, I rotate the clamp, tightened it up again, and went crusing .
Mad props to Daniel Richards for his instructions. The intake is great. That whistle in the mid-revs that sounds like a turbo is awesome. Check out my site for more details.

Chalk up another believer in the 'upper intake brings back the lowend' club!

-Smitty

Old 08-24-2002, 12:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Funny Custom Midpipe Story - Kinda Long

Be careful with that. Meccanoble had the clamp get in the way, and the throttle wouldnt release, it got stuck. Thats when he had an accident.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:10 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Looks like you did a godd job.
I made one as well and am happy with it so far.

Old 08-24-2002, 01:12 PM

Looks real nice and the name is Dumass hehe. Did you try removing the accordion section at all? I have the 3" rubber coupling mid pipe and have been thinking about switching to the cut down exhuast tube. If I do, I'd like to get rid of the accordion section - that's why I ask.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yea i did that when i had a CAI in and didnt realize it till 3 weeks later. one more thing, a high pitched whistle might not be a good thing, might wanna check for leaks. and make sure not to use a generic filter they dont filter crap, u can actually see the holes in some of them.
Old 08-24-2002, 10:26 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally posted by Toolrocks
Looks real nice and the name is Dumass hehe. Did you try removing the accordion section at all? I have the 3" rubber coupling mid pipe and have been thinking about switching to the cut down exhuast tube. If I do, I'd like to get rid of the accordion section - that's why I ask.
I kind of got around the accordian section on mine. My pipe goes all the way through the accordian and bumps up against the TB. I cut the pipe at a slight angle because the pipe angles slightly off the TB. The way mine is set up the accordian section is negated. I still would like to have the 3"-2 1/2" adapter that would come with a manufactured mid pipe or CAI but it really would not be any different.

Do you see what I am saying about the pipe going all the way through the accordian section?
Old 08-25-2002, 08:14 AM

thats what the instructions call for in the new custom upper....i wanted to do it myself, but, im too lazy, and drilling into metal just isnt my thing....i like my rubber coupling one, and so unless it starts to leak, i think im gonna stay with it..

also, im guessing you put a breather on your crankcase valve thingie...thats what causes the whistle when your at about 15% throttle
Old 08-25-2002, 12:01 PM
dko
duck and cover

Re: Re: Funny Custom Midpipe Story - Kinda Long

Originally posted by skeelo34
Be careful with that. Meccanoble had the clamp get in the way, and the throttle wouldnt release, it got stuck. Thats when he had an accident.
why wouldn't you just take the key out of the ignition and pull over?
Old 08-25-2002, 12:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Funny Custom Midpipe Story - Kinda Long

Originally posted by dko

why wouldn't you just take the key out of the ignition and pull over?

Well, if your lets say stopping at a red light, I doubt the first thing you'll feel like doing is pulling the key out of ignition. If you have a 5spd its ok b/c ull hit the clutch, but on auto you're ****ed.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:12 PM

IF you take the key out of the ignition, the steering column will lock and you will not be able to steer. If you put it in acc, you should be ok. You will just lose power steering and power brake.
Old 08-25-2002, 03:21 PM

Updated it

Whoa, I didnt know someone had an accident! I updated the page and put a special note on there so that something like that wont happen again hopefully...

And I30tMikeD... Thats what I tried to explain in the writeup, but it doesnt really make any sense until you acutally put it together, you know?
Old 08-25-2002, 03:32 PM
Carpe Diem....

Re: Updated it

Originally posted by Danielsan
Whoa, I didnt know someone had an accident! I updated the page and put a special note on there so that something like that wont happen again hopefully...

And I30tMikeD... Thats what I tried to explain in the writeup, but it doesnt really make any sense until you acutally put it together, you know?
I had the same thing happen with me when I put my intake on as well. But mine got stuck 3/4 of full throttle. The good thing was that it was late at night on a very wide open highway. It is a very scary situation and with an automatic, you just have to keep a cool head so that you won't hurt yourself or anyone else on the road. I just stepped on the gas all the way a few times utnil it stopped sticking. I was doing about 95-105 before it let up. sorry to hear someone got in an accident but the same thing would probably have happened to me if it were during the day when the highway is pretty congested.
Old 08-25-2002, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by I30tMikeD

I kind of got around the accordian section on mine. My pipe goes all the way through the accordian and bumps up against the TB. I cut the pipe at a slight angle because the pipe angles slightly off the TB. The way mine is set up the accordian section is negated. I still would like to have the 3"-2 1/2" adapter that would come with a manufactured mid pipe or CAI but it really would not be any different.

Do you see what I am saying about the pipe going all the way through the accordian section?
Yes, I thought about doing that as well. I still might. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-25-2002, 06:52 PM
dko
duck and cover

Originally posted by SamMan23
IF you take the key out of the ignition, the steering column will lock and you will not be able to steer. If you put it in acc, you should be ok. You will just lose power steering and power brake.
good point.