4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

do I need to weld this on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 12:28 PM

do I need to weld this on?

I'm going to get my flowmaster muffler this week, BUT I wasnt sure on something. Does muffler have to be welded on, or can I put some sort of clamp over the 2 pipes to hold them together? and what should I do about hangers for the muffler? If anyone could help I'd appreciate it, thanks
Justin
Old 09-09-2002, 12:34 PM

hhhmm.

just curious why you are putting flowies on a maxima? I have heard them on 6cylinders before and they don't sound very sexy. Flowmasters work very well with high powered 8cyl's.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:21 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: hhhmm.

Originally posted by makattack
just curious why you are putting flowies on a maxima? I have heard them on 6cylinders before and they don't sound very sexy. Flowmasters work very well with high powered 8cyl's.
You don't know what your talking about. I have flowmasters on my max and it sounds deep and throaty, much throatier then the mellow kits available for the Max. (greddy, apexi, ect.) But maybe it's becuase I have dual pipes Many members here use flowmaster mufflers for their single exhausts.

Anyways, back to the question...it will most likely have to be welded on. You don't want any rattles and flows usually are a generic fit. Mine is welded.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:04 PM

Re: Re: hhhmm.

well, I decided to put "flowies" as you will call them on my maxima for 2 reasons, one being mostly because I have heard from the people who have them that it sounds nice, (mostly from Craig Mack there) and second of all, I want to make sure I dont get a ricey bee's in a can sound, plus all of the rear sections offered for maximas are all really really expensive ($300+) and for the horsepower gain, I dont think its worth it at all to spend that much, you can buy a Y pipe for the same price and get 10-20fwhp... so its just a matter of making use of my money as well, I'd rather go buya Y pipe than spend 350 on a muffler that will give me 2hp. but anyways...I was at a shop today, and I was checking out this one car on a lift (it was an early 90's lincoln) and the muffler was not welded on, at least from what I could see, there were 2 clamps that were U shaped and fit perfectly around the exhaust at each end of the muffler...maybe it was welded on underneath, but i could see the ends of the pipe sticking out of each little clamp, so I figured it wasnt welded. I could be wrong though, I just wanted to check before I screw up something.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: hhhmm.

Originally posted by venompwr2
) and the muffler was not welded on, at least from what I could see, there were 2 clamps that were U shaped and fit perfectly around the exhaust at each end of the muffler...maybe it was welded on underneath, but i could see the ends of the pipe sticking out of each little clamp, so I figured it wasnt welded. I could be wrong though, I just wanted to check before I screw up something.
Yeah, that's one way to do it. The "quick and dirty" install will just slip fit the mufflers into the flared ends of the tubing and u-bolt it in place. Advantages are that it is quick, easy, and cheap. If you decide you don't like the sound, as long as you use anti-seize compound on the threads and some penetrating oil, you can undo the bolts. The down side is that it makes it really easy for someone else to steal your muffler.

After someone tried to steal the muffler off one of my cars by unbolting it (thank goodness for rust!), i just go ahead and have them welded on. That way I don't have to worry about it falling off or getting stolen. That, and if you use the car for race purposes, it's one less thing to worry about passing tech-in.

Aloha

Quack2x

p.s. If you don't mind a fairly loud muffler, you can use the 2-chamber flowmasters. If you want a little quieter muffler, you can get the 3-chamber series.