4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My E-Brake got stock! Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 11:35 AM

My E-Brake got stock! Any help?

I searched the subject, but I couldn't find any thread on how to fix the problem:

I always pull the e-brake when I park. This morning, I put the level down, and I notice the car is moving slower than normal. I put the car in Drive and without pressing the gas, the car barely moves (normally it would start to roll forward). I accelerated a little and then put it in neutral, and the car would start to slow down too soon. So I know the e brake was stock. (or something brake on the back). After wiggleling the handle a little (YES!, it was all the way down) I heard a "clack" sound comming from the rear right, (the sound of the brake releasing) and then everything we back to normal. Even the E-handle felt a little losse before the first click. I think I could happened again.

Any info on how to check the cable, or re-adjust it, re-grease it, etc.

thanks.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:55 PM

If you always use the ebrake when you park, it is unlikely the lines are rusted. I just think maybe they were frozen a bit and when you pulled at the lines a little, you broke the ice. Was it cold that day?
Old 09-17-2002, 01:36 PM

Not cold.

Originally posted by Eric L.
If you always use the ebrake when you park, it is unlikely the lines are rusted. I just think maybe they were frozen a bit and when you pulled at the lines a little, you broke the ice. Was it cold that day?
I doubt it, I live in the south bay, I think the coldest it got last night was like 55-60 F.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:17 AM

This happened tome and I didn't realize it till my 16 old cousin was like I drove the car back to my house an dthe rear tire was smoking! . So all I did was get under the car and you will see the ebrake arm type lever. Throqw some wd-40 on that baby and it should be fine. Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sorry man I think the problem might be bigger than that... Take a look under your car at the E-brake lines...and look if there are cut.. the reason why I say this is because the way nissan put the E-Brake lines when the car bounces the suspension rubs or CUTS into the line..yes cut... so take a look and if that is the case you will have to replace them like I did..BUT one minor thing I went to midas and had them postion the line differently so it won't happen again.. No, wd-40 will not help..
Old 09-18-2002, 09:44 AM

So you had Midas replace it? How much was the damage ($$$)?.
has any one done it themselves? Is it difficult?
I like doing some things myself, but if it requires jacking the car up (which I guess it may) I'll have to take it some where.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by myiqis180
I like doing some things myself, but if it requires jacking the car up (which I guess it may) I'll have to take it some where.
There are 2 e-brake cables, one for each rear brake caliper. I had a boot fail on one of my cables & the brake was grabbing. The boot serves to keep dirt & crap out of the cable jacket.

It also smelled hot every now & then from the pads constantly being pressed against the rotor. Until I could get an appointment with a dealership to replace the cable, I pulled off my wheel, removed the calilper & unhooked the e-brake cable. If you have the tools to do this, check out www.motorvate.ca for some good pictures on removing the caliper. It's not that hard. I didn't use the e-brake for a week so to not warp my rotor.

I'm in Toronto & it cost me C$105 for a new cable & about 1 hr of labour.
Good luck!
Old 09-18-2002, 12:21 PM

I'm sure you can do it yourself...as long as you know what you are doing... yeah midas did it... damage was about $270 I have to look for the receipt but that was cables and labor included.. or you can go to Nissan and have them charge you like $600 for the job..
Old 09-18-2002, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by SonGouko

.. or you can go to Nissan and have the charge you like $600 for the job..
No dealer for me. Nissan alwyas charge like they are the only people alive that know how to do the job. I'll try to see if I can do it myself.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:02 AM

No dealer for me. Nissan alwyas charge like they are the only people alive that know how to do the job. I'll try to see if I can do it myself.
But remember to re-position the cables so that the suspension won't cut into them.. that was one of nissans design flaws.. you might need new brackets...good luck..
Old 09-19-2002, 09:07 AM

You might want to take a look at the pics of the parking brake cable where it often gets squashed:

http://www.motorvate.ca/auto/maxima/...king_brake.htm
Old 09-19-2002, 09:52 AM

Update.

Originally posted by StygianMax

You might want to take a look at the pics of the parking brake cable where it often gets squashed:

http://www.motorvate.ca/auto/maxima/...king_brake.htm
Last night it happened again. The rear right brake gets tock. (I couldn't even go on reverser, unless I gave it enough gas). After a little driving and breaking it unlocked. Now I'm not using the e-brake untill I fix it.

Thanks for the Diagram StygianMax
Old 09-19-2002, 09:57 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Not cold.

I doubt it, I live in the south bay, I think the coldest it got last night was like 55-60 F.
Where in the south bay exactly? I'd love to know there's another max enthusiast around... cuz i've almost never seen any other modded max here

btw- i live in south san jose
Old 09-19-2002, 10:20 AM

Re: Re: Not cold.

Originally posted by nadir_s

Where in the south bay exactly? I'd love to know there's another max enthusiast around... cuz i've almost never seen any other modded max here

btw- i live in south san jose
No kidding. I live in Mountain View, but I work in Santa Clara.

I've seen a couple of max around. I even saw one the other day with Alteza's, driving south 101, but SJC airport.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:31 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: Re: Not cold.

No kidding. I live in Mountain View, but I work in Santa Clara.

I've seen a couple of max around. I even saw one the other day with Alteza's, driving south 101, but SJC airport.
cool cool

I go to SJSU now and work up in sunnyvale. If you ever see a black maxima w/ clear corners in your rear view mirror flashing it's headlights at you and honking, it'll be me
Old 09-19-2002, 11:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Not cold.

Originally posted by nadir_s

cool cool

I go to SJSU now and work up in sunnyvale. If you ever see a black maxima w/ clear corners in your rear view mirror flashing it's headlights at you and honking, it'll be me
No doubt man, if you see a white MAX with clear corner and a NEW Knock Sensor (hahahahhaahahahh,hahahahahah), hunk or something.

I'll have to clear my tail light to give more of an indication of my "moded" max.

When ever I see a max with the orange bumper lights, I don't even look at anything else; I assume that would be the first thing to be changed. (because that's the first thing I changed).
Old 09-20-2002, 11:58 AM

wow that sounds so gay.... but seriously... U not using the brake won't matter if you don't fix it now...eventually it will stay stuck once it starts to rust..and that brake light won't go off...
Old 10-04-2002, 09:05 PM

Guys, I will schedule for replacing brake cable at dealer next week. Is there any suggestion or special instruction to install new cable so stupid mechanic can't bend them again? Thanks!!