4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Best leather cleaner/conditiner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 06:01 PM

Best leather cleaner/conditiner?

My 96 GLEs leather seats are starting to crease very bad. I suspect that if I don't act now they might begin to crack in the future. I live in Las Vegas where it is very dry. I've been using Armor all leather conditioner but it just seems to lubricate and not actually condition the leather. What are your favorite products?
Old 09-17-2002, 06:29 PM

I basically use Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner.
I also live in a hot sunny place and this stuff is great! I recommend applying this product with your hands because you can really work it into the seats and just simply wipe off when you are done. It is a lotion based product. I found out using a cloth absorbs too much product. Just my 2 cents!
Old 09-17-2002, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by audie1977
I basically use Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner.
I also live in a hot sunny place and this stuff is great! I recommend applying this product with your hands because you can really work it into the seats and just simply wipe off when you are done. It is a lotion based product. I found out using a cloth absorbs too much product. Just my 2 cents!
I think you might be right. I went through a **** load of Armorall leather conditioner and I think its because it was absorbed by the cloth. So you say massage in with bare hands and then wipe off with Terry towel?
Old 09-17-2002, 06:53 PM

Screw anything and everything that isn't mothers. I use mothers on every part of my car. Use their leather cleaner with a white rag and you will see what i mean. Really rub deep with the cleaner and then condition it with the nice coconut smelling conditioner. My car smells so good and looks so clean. Ask 1MAX2NV if you dont believe me. You must go out and buy it now!
Old 09-17-2002, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by MAXSRB
Screw anything and everything that isn't mothers. I use mothers on every part of my car. Use their leather cleaner with a white rag and you will see what i mean. Really rub deep with the cleaner and then condition it with the nice coconut smelling conditioner. My car smells so good and looks so clean. Ask 1MAX2NV if you dont believe me. You must go out and buy it now!
Mother's? Hmmm.....must be a brand, eh? By rubbing deeply do you mean massaging it? Like applying preassure? Or just do a whole bunch of circular motions on one spot? Or both?
Old 09-17-2002, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Chino

I think you might be right. I went through a **** load of Armorall leather conditioner and I think its because it was absorbed by the cloth. So you say massage in with bare hands and then wipe off with Terry towel?
Just massage it with your hands! Make sure you buff it out with a clean terry towel after you're done.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by audie1977

Just massage it with your hands! Make sure you buff it out with a clean terry towel after you're done.
Hmmm....I've always just left it to dry out by itself. Could this have further damaged my leather?
Old 09-17-2002, 07:30 PM

(Yes Mothers is a brand)
Step 1: Spray on the leather cleaner.
Step 2: Scrub down and deep to get out ALOT of dirt you never thought could possibly be there.
Step 3: I usually just go around with the leather cleaner everywhere first and then the conditioner. Just rub in the conditioner evenly with another cloth and you are done.
My whole car smells exotic. The girls really like it. So ya i dont use anything other than Mothers.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:55 PM

Ive use Lexol cleaner and condition and I also have meguires cleaner too. I like using the meguires because it doesnt feel as oily as the lexol and plus it gives it a "new car" smell. Im gonna try out the mothers sometime since all you guys like it.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:51 PM

I ended up purchasing Meguires cleaner/conditioner. I figured I would buy a 2 in 1 instead of buying two bottles. So let me get this straight. Since it is 2 in 1 I should rub it in with my bare hands and then wipe off with Terry towel? Should I let it sit for a while? The directions are quite vague. Thx
Old 09-19-2002, 08:26 AM

I use Lexol but not as often as I should because I hate the way it smells. I am also skeptical of Meguiars 2-in-1 solution. How can the same product take away moisture (cleaner) as well as add it (conditioner)?

Anyone know anything about Zymol leather cleaner and conditioner? (2 separate bottles). I have some of that stuff sitting around at home.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:46 AM
living out of a maxima...

I have always used Mother's... first on my 92 and now on my 99. Both black leather. The leather in the 92 is still beautiful!
Old 09-19-2002, 10:00 AM

Dealer's cleaner.

Ever since I got the car I've been using the same package that the dealer uses to detail new cars. It's a little waterty/oily/milky lotion that gets applied to the leather and dash, etc. I like it because it doesn't really have any smell, and it's not as shiny. I also tried some other brand of conditioner but it's so shiny it makes my leather look like vinyl, so I use a little bit of that only when I run out of the dealer product. I don't think they actually sell the little bottle I'm talking about, but I know a guy that work at the detailing shop and he hooks me up
Old 09-19-2002, 10:02 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Dealer's cleaner.

Originally posted by myiqis180
Ever since I got the car I've been using the same package that the dealer uses to detail new cars. It's a little waterty/oily/milky lotion that gets applied to the leather and dash, etc. I like it because it doesn't really have any smell, and it's not as shiny. I also tried some other brand of conditioner but it's so shiny it makes my leather look like vinyl, so I use a little bit of that only when I run out of the dealer product. I don't think they actually sell the little bottle I'm talking about, but I know a guy that work at the detailing shop and he hooks me up
Are u talkin about the white bottle w/ the teal stripe around it? That stuff came w/ my mom's 2k Quest and I've been using it on my maxima ever since lol
Old 09-19-2002, 10:17 AM

Re: Re: Dealer's cleaner.

Originally posted by nadir_s

Are u talkin about the white bottle w/ the teal stripe around it? That stuff came w/ my mom's 2k Quest and I've been using it on my maxima ever since lol
Ye, ye yeahhhh, that's the stuff. It's actually a package with three, the little leather cleaner, the tiny paint sealent, and the big carpet/fabric sealent to reppell stains (which I've never used)
Old 09-19-2002, 10:39 AM

Re: Best leather cleaner/conditiner?

Originally posted by Chino
My 96 GLEs leather seats are starting to crease very bad. I suspect that if I don't act now they might begin to crack in the future. I live in Las Vegas where it is very dry. I've been using Armor all leather conditioner but it just seems to lubricate and not actually condition the leather. What are your favorite products?
ok, I have seen Lexol leather cleaners done wonders for my brother- in -law 325is BMW. I personally use( on my wife's IS300 ) Meguires 2 in one , like some people have posted. I prefer the Meguires due to the fact that it cost less(one bottle,cleaner &conditioner , instead of buying two Lexol) and it is a respectable company. It workes very good and smells quite nice, suttle smell. I was informed by someone to use my bare hands, (note, it has a balanced p/H), massaging vigrously until my shouldres fall off! Cleaning is done with a soft terry cloth , which removes excess from seams , ect. I hope this helps with lengthy post answered some of your questions.
Thanks for reading.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:48 AM

LEXOL is the way to go....

I've asked around to different (3) professional leather installers in my area....they've all recommended Lexol...so that's what I use! My seats are like their brand new!! Lata.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:03 PM

Re: Best leather cleaner/conditiner?

For cleaning, I remember someone recommend Soft Scrub. Yes, Soft Scrub. I haven't try it yet, but based on the post (with pics), it seems did a good job.

Normally, I just use water and a clean terry cloth to wipe down the leather every two weeks or so.

I used Lexol leather conditioner every 2-3 months. I spray it directly on the leather, then wipe it with a clean terry cloth, let it sit for a few minutes, then use the clean part of the cloth to wipe it again. I do this in the evening time (make sure I don't have to use the car again) and let it sit for whole night.

If your leather wasn't take care of before, then spray heavily on the seats, make them really wet, and let it sit overnight so the leather can absorb. Use a terry cloth to wipe it down the next morning. I did this two weekends in a row.

You can get Lexol from your local Pep Boys. Since I move to Vancouver, BC, Lexol isn't that available here, so I may try Mother's later.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:00 PM

Re: Re: Best leather cleaner/conditiner?

Originally posted by SunMax

You can get Lexol from your local Pep Boys. Since I move to Vancouver, BC, Lexol isn't that available here, so I may try Mother's later.
Mother knows best.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: Best leather cleaner/conditiner?

Mother knows best.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: Best leather cleaner/conditiner?

Mother knows best.
What's the specific product name?
Old 09-23-2002, 08:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ive always used Armorall Leather Spray. It works good and all but looses shineyness after about 15 Mins hehe. I noticed something wierd with my leather. its in beutiful condition and all but I noticed it has a Rigid type feeling to it. Like kinda ruff in away. And I noticed my Friends SE is very smooth. Is there a diff in the leather between GLE and SE?
Old 09-23-2002, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by JetBlackMax
Ive always used Armorall Leather Spray. It works good and all but looses shineyness after about 15 Mins hehe. I noticed something wierd with my leather. its in beutiful condition and all but I noticed it has a Rigid type feeling to it. Like kinda ruff in away. And I noticed my Friends SE is very smooth. Is there a diff in the leather between GLE and SE?
Doubt it, its probably that Armor-all mislabeled as a leather cleaner that messed it up
Old 09-23-2002, 10:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Best leather cleaner/conditiner?

Originally posted by StygianMax

What's the specific product name?
http://www.mothers.com/
Old 09-24-2002, 06:33 AM

I use the leather care products from www.zainobros.com
Their stuff has real mink oil in it and smells just like a new leather interior.
I also use all their products on my show car with excellent results.

Highly recommended by the show car crowd......
Old 09-24-2002, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Best leather cleaner/conditiner?

Soft Scrub it is hell if the Lexus boys use it.. why the hell not

Originally posted by SunMax
For cleaning, I remember someone recommend Soft Scrub. Yes, Soft Scrub. I haven't try it yet, but based on the post (with pics), it seems did a good job.

Normally, I just use water and a clean terry cloth to wipe down the leather every two weeks or so.

I used Lexol leather conditioner every 2-3 months. I spray it directly on the leather, then wipe it with a clean terry cloth, let it sit for a few minutes, then use the clean part of the cloth to wipe it again. I do this in the evening time (make sure I don't have to use the car again) and let it sit for whole night.

If your leather wasn't take care of before, then spray heavily on the seats, make them really wet, and let it sit overnight so the leather can absorb. Use a terry cloth to wipe it down the next morning. I did this two weekends in a row.

Old 09-24-2002, 06:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best leather cleaner/conditiner?

http://www.mothers.com/
Thx man! The site's even got pics of their products. Perfect.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:07 AM

This past weekend I used Lexol on my neglected (haven't been cleaned/conditioned in 6 months) leather seats. Although it doesn't work miracles, it really softened the leather up. It doesn't smell as nice as Zaino but the smell isn't bad as long as you air the car out for a while.

You can pick up Lexol at Pep Boys.