4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What minor mod or service should be next for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 08:43 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

What minor mod or service should be next for me?

I just hit 60K, things are running well, but I prob need some 60K service. Here are my options, and estimated prices on some of them. Put them in order of how you guys think I should do them-see below for what I have (and what I need to install). By the way, the max is pebble beige, so keep that in mind when considering "visual" mods...

Options:

New plugs ($60-70)
Tranny flush and fill ($75, or TRY to do it myself)
Sunroof deflector ($30-50)
DC (or other) clears ($35-45)
FSTB ($$$ eBay, stealthmax, etc.)
Audio mod discussed in this link (free-$75)
Remove black vinyl from door pillars (free)
Shave, paint (gunmetal) and replace "MAXIMA" on trunk (free)
Replace 96 center console with 97+ center console ($75-85)
AE Pedals and deadpedal from 350Z ($45+?)
Indiglos (or reverse indiglos) ($35+)
Real SE cluster ($75????)
MaxSpeeds on stock struts, with new struts down the road at least a year (~$100)

Any input is appreciated. Put them in order, mark out what you think is a bad idea, give me reasons, and generally BS about my options. Money is tight, so I have little room to do multiple mods. I can do 1 or 2 at a time, so keep this in mind, please.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:48 AM

Maintenance first, then mods.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:54 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by voltman
Maintenance first, then mods.
Makes sense, but @ 60K, IS it time for new plugs? I assume "yes," but am not sure. I don't feel any problems, but I just bought the car, so I do not really know if I have any power loss from crappy plugs.

Also, by the way guys, I HAVE read the threads about AT fluid changes, and have not decided whether to change it myself or have it done, but I AM aware of the recent discussions. I was just putting that option up there to see if anyone had anything new to offer. If not, I will make a decision on that issue. As of right now, I think it should move up to 1st on the list (before plugs). Do you guys agree?
Old 09-18-2002, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by phenryiv1

Makes sense, but @ 60K, IS it time for new plugs? I assume "yes," but am not sure. I don't feel any problems, but I just bought the car, so I do not really know if I have any power loss from crappy plugs.

Also, by the way guys, I HAVE read the threads about AT fluid changes, and have not decided whether to change it myself or have it done, but I AM aware of the recent discussions. I was just putting that option up there to see if anyone had anything new to offer. If not, I will make a decision on that issue. As of right now, I think it should move up to 1st on the list (before plugs). Do you guys agree?
60k is the recommended replacement interval for plugs. May as well go ahead and swap them. You may end up with better mileage or power than you have now. Won't hurt at least, as long as you get the right plugs. As for the tranny flush, I personally will probably just pony up the money for a full machine flush, but the drain and fill should be adequately effective.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:59 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

don't forget to..

Get your injectors cleaned as part of the 60K tune-up.

Maintenance first, mods later.

Lowering your car with stock struts?
Old 09-18-2002, 09:30 AM
living out of a maxima...

Install the mods you've already got!!! The CAI and RSB combined should take no more than a few hours.

Definitely maintenance first. All the mods in the world won't help if your car dies.

Once the current mods are on and everything up to speed, then:
Remove black vinyl from door pillars (free)
Shave, paint (gunmetal) and replace "MAXIMA" on trunk (free)
Clears (DC or whatever)
Front **** tower bar
Clear tail lights ($5 for materials)
Old 09-18-2002, 10:09 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Dont forget to cahnge the fuel filter and air filter.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:29 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

DO NOT run Maxspeed's or any lowering spring on your 60,000 mile struts. Your only going to wind up killing them quickly and your ride will be a bit bouncy.

Do it right the first time, it will cost you less in the end.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:12 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by DIFFERENT PEOPLE
Do it right the first time, it will cost you less in the end.
Install the mods you've already got!!! The CAI and RSB combined should take no more than a few hours.
Definitely maintenance first. All the mods in the world won't help if your car dies.
Thanks to all. Here is where I stand:

Clear tail lights ($5 for materials)
I have a 96, so no go there. I CAN, however, do a red-out (a la NadirS) of the amber portion for under $5, so that is on the list now as well. I forgot it earlier.

DO NOT run Maxspeed's or any lowering spring on your 60,000 mile struts. Your only going to wind up killing them quickly and your ride will be a bit bouncy.
Lowering your car with stock struts?
Point taken on maxspeeds...In my defense, I just hear a lot about guys running H&Rs or MaxSpeeds, even B&Gs, on factory struts, and I want to get the 4x4 look reduced. I know I do not have the money for struts, and prob won't for a while, so I was trying to do the best I could.

60k is the recommended replacement interval for plugs. May as well go ahead and swap them. You may end up with better mileage or power than you have now. Won't hurt at least, as long as you get the right plugs.
NKGs all the way.

Dont forget to change the fuel filter and air filter.
Fuel filter will be changed when I do the plugs,
Air filter will be moot due to CAI,

As for the tranny flush, I personally will probably just pony up the money for a full machine flush, but the drain and fill should be adequately effective.
If I do the tranny at home, I will do the full flush and fill method, but most likely I will try to get it done profesionally. I have the ATF in the trunk, but I can always return it. I suppose the peice of mind is worth it.

Get your injectors cleaned as part of the 60K tune-up.
How much should the injector cleaning run me? I use Techron additive every 5K, and FI cleaner every 3 or 4 tanks. Is this what you mean, or a true cleaning at a shop?
Old 09-18-2002, 11:28 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Originally posted by phenryiv1
Point taken on maxspeeds...In my defense, I just hear a lot about guys running H&Rs or MaxSpeeds, even B&Gs, on factory struts, and I want to get the 4x4 look reduced. I know I do not have the money for struts, and prob won't for a while, so I was trying to do the best I could.
H&Rs are 1.4"/1.3" drop (front/rear) respectively. Not as an aggressive drop as B&Gs and alike. Longevity (or the lack there of) of your OE struts combined with aftermarket springs will largely depend on how the roads are in your area. Point is, OE struts+ lowering springs is highly not recommended. Save up and do the suspension right the 1st time around.

...How much should the injector cleaning run me? I use Techron additive every 5K, and FI cleaner every 3 or 4 tanks. Is this what you mean, or a true cleaning at a shop?
I meant a complete injector cleaning at a reputable shop. It's like an IV drip (sp?) device plugged into your car's fuel line (someone can explain the process more precisely) $75-100 would be the price range around where I live (NJ).
Old 09-18-2002, 11:36 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl
I meant a complete injector cleaning at a reputable shop. It's like an IV drip (sp?) device plugged into your car's fuel line (someone can explain the process more precisely) $75-100 would be the price range around where I live (NJ).
THat was the service that I figured that you meant. For Jeeps it involves removal of the injectors and running a solution through them while operating the injectors in an on/off/on/off cycle for a few minutes. The thing there was that you could do it with a battery and a pressurized line feeding the solution into the injectors. Here it is probably not so simple.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:32 PM

whats the difference between a 95 center consol than a 97+?
Old 10-13-2002, 10:23 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

You kno what, I want to get a "sunroof deflector" or was it called the wind deflector? i forget but anyways, yea i hella want one. How much does it cost specifically?

I also want to get the hood deflector but... it's too late lol. I've probably got the most paint chips after the car has been driven literall 140k miles of its life on the highway.