4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

upgrading to thicker wires to improve electrical system...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 01:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BC_95GLE

uuummmm ok... Does anyone have a better discription of where the chassi ground(s) are? i might have them i dont know yet my car is white so it's easier to notice these things mish's is black so it's hard to notice the picks need some help guys what in the hell am i lookin at with those grounds Brian
The factory battery/chassis ground is between the battery and the lower half of the stock airbox, just follow the stock ground wire. From there the stock ground wire goes to the engine block. I would replace this wire or clean the connections before I added any other ground wires.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:12 PM

Maximas are notorious for developing poor or corroded connections over time, especially in corrosive climates. All you are doing with this mod is improving ground connections, with redundancy over stock. A few extra cheap battery cables bought at Wal-mart will do the same thing.
One other thing: Ground loop effects can negatively affect electronic components, but it all depends on how the car is built. Until I see a dyno sheet proving this helps, I would not waste my time and $$$. I might check all my existing connnections if I felt my car was not running properly due to a poor connection though. Simply clamping on booster cables from the engine to a bare frame will let me know if a poor connection is the cause.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:22 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by Bgohan
Maximas are notorious for developing poor or corroded connections over time, especially in corrosive climates. All you are doing with this mod is improving ground connections, with redundancy over stock. A few extra cheap battery cables bought at Wal-mart will do the same thing.
One other thing: Ground loop effects can negatively affect electronic components, but it all depends on how the car is built. Until I see a dyno sheet proving this helps, I would not waste my time and $$$. I might check all my existing connnections if I felt my car was not running properly due to a poor connection though. Simply clamping on booster cables from the engine to a bare frame will let me know if a poor connection is the cause.
wow, old thread. Yeah, there was a dyno done on the hyperground system in a WRX and it showed improvement... this is why everyone else started to do this mod.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by s2cmpugh
would some good speaker wire work as well??? like some good thick monster cable or something??

no, it won't. there is no speaker wire thats thick enough for this situation.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:37 AM
My heroine

Originally Posted by 1MAX2NV
I added few more pics in the album. Some of the ground points are OEM, so of them I added.

http://imageevent.com/1max2nv/hkscircleearthsystem

Does anybody have these pics saved, by any chance??.. since it's like a year later, the album is understandably gone..

thanks

willis
Old 12-09-2003, 06:58 AM

i'm a beleiver in this mod for one noticeable reason, the stock ground points on the Max is coevered by paint so there is a struggle at the ground points. I went to all ground points in the engine bay and sracthed the paint off and cleaned corrsoion off the ends of the wires. I even cleaned the starter ground for fun. At idle, my headlight no longer dims or when I hit the brakes. I also regrounded the MAF sensor to another point on the chasis.