4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help! Do I have a coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 08:04 PM

help! Do I have a coolant leak?

I hope you can help. 1 hour after I got home, under my car on the driveway was a puddle - odorless, colorless, and it seemed to be water - I'm guessing coolant. I traced it to be coming from above a horizontal black rubber boot connecting to the right front wheel. I felt to where the drip was continuing to come from, and it seemed to be coming from out of the end of a hose which points downwards, about 1 foot above this boot. The end of the hose is about 5/8". How serious is this and what is going on? Hope you can help!
Old 09-25-2002, 08:26 PM

If it's colorless and odorless it's not coolant. Coolant is usually green, sometimes orangish but either way it has a sweet smell. IT sounds like it is more likely water. Were you running your a/c? IF so, it's probably just condensation dripping off the evaporator. Check the level of all your fluids to confirm none are leaking. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:53 PM

Re: help! Do I have a coolant leak?

Originally posted by arcenciel!
I hope you can help. 1 hour after I got home, under my car on the driveway was a puddle - odorless, colorless, and it seemed to be water - I'm guessing coolant. I traced it to be coming from above a horizontal black rubber boot connecting to the right front wheel. I felt to where the drip was continuing to come from, and it seemed to be coming from out of the end of a hose which points downwards, about 1 foot above this boot. The end of the hose is about 5/8". How serious is this and what is going on? Hope you can help!
If your AC was on, don't sweat it (pun intended). From your description, it's a drain hose for the condensation from the AC. It is perfectly normal, and necessary. That hose is actually an often overlooked piece of preventative maintenance, as it needs to be clear so the condensation can drain. Good description of where it is at, as I had just checked mine last week to make sure it was clear (I had gone through some mud holes that caked my undercarriage). Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 09-25-2002, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
If it's colorless and odorless it's not coolant. Coolant is usually green, sometimes orangish but either way it has a sweet smell. IT sounds like it is more likely water. Were you running your a/c? IF so, it's probably just condensation dripping off the evaporator. Check the level of all your fluids to confirm none are leaking. Good luck.
Yes, my coolant is green, and I did suspect this was water... but I haven't run my A/C for a couple of days. The nights are getting colder now that fall is here and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it... ?
Old 09-26-2002, 06:42 AM

Yes, my coolant is green, and I did suspect this was water... but I haven't run my A/C for a couple of days. The nights are getting colder now that fall is here and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it... ?
Could be an exhaust leak too.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The AC compressor automatically turns on if you use the defroster. Could have been that, too.

DW

Old 09-26-2002, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
The AC compressor automatically turns on if you use the defroster. Could have been that, too.

DW

Yes I was uding the defroster... good idea.... so is that hose that i can reach up and feel a drainage hose?
Old 09-26-2002, 12:48 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Yes I was uding the defroster... good idea.... so is that hose that i can reach up and feel a drainage hose?
It's water from your evaporator, no worry.