4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cleaned TB today, Now i have a check Engine light! AH!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 09:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cleaned TB today, Now i have a check Engine light! AH!

actually, i was cleaning out my friends TB and the second time i was cleaning, he started it up and the check engine light came on and would not go off. the car runs fine, and there are no noticable changes on cars performance. (except for the intake we just bolted on earlyer in the day) but anyway my friend just got this awsome 1999 crimson red se limited max, and he trusted me that i knew what i was doing, so he let me under the hood and this happens! i feel so bad!

has this happened to anyone before?

can i clear this code for him? (i didn't think so)

well thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-28-2002, 09:05 PM

You probably just need to reset the ECU. If not then get the code and run it through the link right above this one. My bet is that it is from the intake, not the TB cleaning.
-Cyrus
Old 09-28-2002, 09:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Cleaned TB today, Now i have a check Engine light! AH!

Originally posted by Blkmax95c
actually, i was cleaning out my friends TB and the second time i was cleaning, he started it up and the check engine light came on and would not go off.
Pull the code and find out what's wrong.

-Sryth...
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
'98 SE 5spd, Pebble Beige, PRCAI, Stillen Y, Stillen FSTB, ACT clutch.
Pacesetter STS to be installed this week!
Old 09-28-2002, 10:11 PM

i do not know how to pull the code, or reset the ecu. in order to pull the code i need a computer right?
Old 09-28-2002, 10:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i do not know how to pull the code, or reset the ecu. in order to pull the code i need a computer right?
Nope... You just need your friend's trust

It's a sticky: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=104931

-Sryth...
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
'98 SE 5spd, Pebble Beige, PRCAI, Stillen Y, Stillen FSTB, ACT clutch.
Pacesetter STS to be installed this week!
Old 09-28-2002, 10:27 PM

actually, i was cleaning out my friends TB and the second time i was cleaning, he started it up and the check engine light came on and would not go off. the car runs fine, and there are no noticable changes on cars performance. (except for the intake we just bolted on earlyer in the day) but anyway my friend just got this awsome 1999 crimson red se limited max, and he trusted me that i knew what i was doing, so he let me under the hood and this happens! i feel so bad!
Your'e likely right - on my Blaze 99 SE-L, the ECU is not re-settable or de-codable in the manner that is covered in these forums - the dealer used Consult to pull the codes, don't know how they reset it.
BTW, I haven't done the TB on my 99 Max, but did n my 87; the directions on the can did say to run the engine...
Old 09-29-2002, 09:03 PM

Hey, thank you guys alot...info really helped. and i should of just realized that there is the thread about this as soon as i open the fourms! ha! oh well, i guess i forgot. well thanks anyway... i will try it out on his car as soon as he lets me... if he does! i will let you guys know how it went.
Old 09-29-2002, 11:55 PM

Old 09-30-2002, 09:00 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

man, i wanted to clean out my throttle body this weekend when i get my midpipe (hopfefully) and now this thread is making me think twice lol. Well, I've never messed w/ the intake before so hopefully i won't have any probs on my first try... as long as i follow instructions and not screw around w/ anything else.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:34 PM

Re: Re: Cleaned TB today, Now i have a check Engine light! AH!

Originally posted by emax95

i'll smack you.

stop reading my threads! hahah j/k. i may actually get the 2000 max ethan... i talked to my dealer and he said he'll think about it. YAY! i will keep you updated. later
Old 09-30-2002, 08:50 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

so how does the dirt actually affect the throttle body.. and ure car's performance?
Old 09-30-2002, 09:18 PM
RodolfoGraziani

TB? Tuberculosis!!!

Hey I just did my throttle body cleaning and the car starts up without the gas pedal trick!

The solution to your dilemma is "don't spray all the way inside"

and "don't waste the whole can of carbon cleaner"

just clean around the butterfly opening. If you actually wanna clean the inside, pull the sensor out and clean it gently.

Otherwise, your sensor will be destroyed.
hope this helps.
hh

Old 09-30-2002, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s
man, i wanted to clean out my throttle body this weekend when i get my midpipe (hopfefully) and now this thread is making me think twice lol. Well, I've never messed w/ the intake before so hopefully i won't have any probs on my first try... as long as i follow instructions and not screw around w/ anything else.
When you do your intake remember to take the neg. lead off the battery before you unplug the connection on your MAF sensor, or it will throw a CEL.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by UTIMaxima

When you do your intake remember to take the neg. lead off the battery before you unplug the connection on your MAF sensor, or it will throw a CEL.
Thats not true.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by emax95

Thats not true.
Happened to me.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:38 AM

you probably started the car with your sensor not atttached somehow...thats what i did....6 times my intake apart, never with the battery unplugged....everytime it was fine, except that one time, that tripped the cel...

i agree with emax, its not true at all
Old 10-02-2002, 10:14 PM
RodolfoGraziani

Agreed

I also agree.

I didn't take negative terminal when I did throttle body cleaning.
I mean, you don't turn on the engine anyway. So the ECU is not running...

Back then when I had problem with ECU, but there was nothing wrong, one of my negative ground wire went **pop**.

Of course, I couldn't find it, and it ended up in my car on tow and $260 -- $50 towing, $219 on labor, $1 part.

eh

and i thought it was alternator/starter. oh well.

Old 10-02-2002, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Jamsan
you probably started the car with your sensor not atttached somehow...thats what i did....6 times my intake apart, never with the battery unplugged....everytime it was fine, except that one time, that tripped the cel...

i agree with emax, its not true at all
Yeah, I probably tried to start it without plugging back in. It was a while ago.
Old 10-03-2002, 12:59 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: TB? Tuberculosis!!!

Originally posted by RodolfoGraziani
Hey I just did my throttle body cleaning and the car starts up without the gas pedal trick!

The solution to your dilemma is "don't spray all the way inside"

and "don't waste the whole can of carbon cleaner"

just clean around the butterfly opening. If you actually wanna clean the inside, pull the sensor out and clean it gently.

Otherwise, your sensor will be destroyed.
hope this helps.
hh
Alright guys... i'm just trying to learn as much as i can before i clean out my throttle body and install my midpipe. I don't udnerstand what exactly is the butterfly plate. I don't want to end up destroying anything. can you guys help me out w/ visualizing or whatnot.. btw i did read and look at the pics on motorvate was still a bit confused about it.

Also, in the instructions on motorvate on cleanin out the throttle body... second page... it says:

"With the throttle wide open, spray the cleaner in, and wipe with a clean white rag. Make sure to remove any dirt and oil from the EDGE of the butterfly plate. The white rag allows you to see how much dirt and oil you have removed, and when the throttle body wipes clean, and the rag stays white, you are done."

Does that just mean the throttle body accessible?
Old 10-03-2002, 01:52 PM

the "butterfly" is inside the TB. when you hit the gas it moves the "butterfly" accordingly to alow more/less air into the engine for appropiate air/gas ratio. at idle the butterfly is closed and a minimal amout of air is alowed to pass.

over time dirt builds up (cause of a bad pcv valve, or just normal use.) and restricts airflow even more causing a rough idle. it also decreases performance slightly. this is why we clean the TB.

i cleaned the TB on my car, and i sprayed and sprayed the cleaner all inside, and i didn't have any problems. so i am not sure why my friend had a problem. maybe it's because i have a 95, and he has a 99? i dunno.

well i hope my info has helped you out, and you decide to clean it before you put your midpipe on.

hope you have more luck then i did! HA!