4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

300ZX conversion.........WORTH IT OR NO ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 11:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

300ZX conversion.........WORTH IT OR NO ?

can anybody tell me who has done this conversion ... is it worth it ? and if i already have crossdrilled rotors do i still have to get the rotors from the 300ZX or i can just buy the calipers and put them on please help me out .... my brakes are gone.. and i am either thinking htat or just buy the porterfield brakes
thanx in advance
Old 10-03-2002, 01:25 AM

Re: 300ZX conversion.........WORTH IT OR NO ?

Originally posted by maximumpower96
can anybody tell me who has done this conversion ... is it worth it ? and if i already have crossdrilled rotors do i still have to get the rotors from the 300ZX or i can just buy the calipers and put them on please help me out .... my brakes are gone.. and i am either thinking htat or just buy the porterfield brakes
thanx in advance
It's not a bolt-on application. You have to do some fabricating & machining of caliper brackets to make this happen. Unless you have a hookup with a CNC machine, you're better off buying one of the brake kits available for the Maxima, if it's a braking upgrade you're after.

-Or better yet, just replace your pads. (I'm assuming your rotors are OK, since you suggested the possibility of using them with other upgraded braking components).

Porterfield R4-S pads - Stop hard, live long.

Old 10-03-2002, 05:32 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: Re: 300ZX conversion.........WORTH IT OR NO ?

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

It's not a bolt-on application. You have to do some fabricating & machining of caliper brackets to make this happen. Unless you have a hookup with a CNC machine, you're better off buying one of the brake kits available for the Maxima, if it's a braking upgrade you're after.

-Or better yet, just replace your pads. (I'm assuming your rotors are OK, since you suggested the possibility of using them with other upgraded braking components).

Porterfield R4-S pads - Stop hard, live long.

i have never heard of you having to fab a bracket.. ??
i been told numberous times there is only small modifications you have to do to get the fronts to work???

now i am comfused..
Old 10-03-2002, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: 300ZX conversion.........WORTH IT OR NO ?

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

i been told numberous times there is only small modifications you have to do to get the fronts to work???

now i am comfused..
http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~cheston/zbrakes.html
Old 10-03-2002, 05:51 AM
i SeE what you did therE

thank you darren..

Old 10-03-2002, 05:57 AM
Administrator

thank you darren..

Old 10-03-2002, 07:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thank you guys for your suggestions i think i will go by upgrading my brake pads and see how they are if not then go by the upgrade thanx everybody
Old 10-03-2002, 07:24 AM

if you can wait...

In a couple months I will be upgrading the brakes on my 300z TT (z32), and thus will be selling my stock brake setup.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: if you can wait...

Originally posted by VinnyD
In a couple months I will be upgrading the brakes on my 300z TT (z32), and thus will be selling my stock brake setup.
What are you looking to get for it? I plan on upgrading my brakes in the next few months too, so I might be interested. I don't know how much I like the idea of butchering my car to fit the calipers on, but who knows!
Old 10-03-2002, 11:46 AM

now i am comfused..
Whoops. My bad. It appears I've spoken out of my butt.

It's been a while since I read a 300ZX brake conversion writeup. I remembered that it wasn't completely plug-n-play, but I forgot which parts needed modification. Again, I could be wrong, but I thought I read a different writeup in which someone actually did fabricate caliper brackets that moved the caliper 3mm out from the hub (to accommodate the larger diameter Z rotor - instead of milling the rotor itself).

Am I losing my mind here?
Old 10-03-2002, 09:43 PM

sryth...

actually, i dont quite know yet what i want for the setup...probably not very much...its all stock cept the rotors are brembo crossdrilled ones instead of the very very very crappy 91 z32 aluminum stock rotors that warped way too easily...keep in touch with me if you are seriously interested....my car is soon gonna be pushing 600hp at the crank, thus necessatating some bigger brakes to stop the 3400lb whale.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: sryth...

Originally posted by VinnyD
actually, i dont quite know yet what i want for the setup...probably not very much...its all stock cept the rotors are brembo crossdrilled ones instead of the very very very crappy 91 z32 aluminum stock rotors that warped way too easily...keep in touch with me if you are seriously interested....my car is soon gonna be pushing 600hp at the crank, thus necessatating some bigger brakes to stop the 3400lb whale.
Hmm... I don't know how feasible it would be to cut xdrilled rotors down. I'll think about it...

600hp..damn that thing's gonna fly! 3400lb? Is that normal, or do you have some heavy bolt-ons?
Old 10-03-2002, 11:01 PM

I did this mod back in the day. Almost 3 years ago. It was a lot harder back then when I had 1 person who had done the mod before who could explain it to me.

It is basically bolt on. You have to cut the rotors 3mm, and you have to cut the dust shields off and mill the steering knuckle a bit. Just dremel it. You can cut X-drilled rotors, I'm running Brembo X-drilled right now.

The other shop Ginn Motorsports makes a 3000GT conversion for 300ZX's which can be adapted to our cars. It's basically a bracket that moves the caliper out that allows the use of 12.5" 3000GT rotors with the 300ZX calipers. I've heard the machinework is not exactly top notch.

Honestly the 300Zx brakes aren't worth it if you don't road race. Not any huge amount of increased stopping power, just fade resistance.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by maximumpower96
thanx in advance

sssshhhhh, don't buy porterfield brakes.... some of 'em just fall apart. it hapened to me, front pad, and there is another member who's rear pad just desinigrated apart, who's name will not be mentioned
Old 10-04-2002, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by Vinipux

sssshhhhh, don't buy porterfield brakes....
And here I was thinking you swore by those pads to be the best.

SuDZ
Old 10-04-2002, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by Vinipux

sssshhhhh, don't buy porterfield brakes.... some of 'em just fall apart. it hapened to me, front pad, and there is another member who's rear pad just desinigrated apart, who's name will not be mentioned
Sorry this is getting O/T a bit, but was this under racing conditions, or street use? Also, were you (both) running blanks, slotted, or x-drilled rotors when this "disintegration" occurred?Which model pad was it? How long ago did this happen?

TIA,
-a concerned Porterfield user.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:56 PM

3400lbs...

nah thats what a stock Twin Turbo 300z weighs...pretty hefty eh?....warped those poor aluminum rotors all to hell and back.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

Sorry this is getting O/T a bit, but was this under racing conditions, or street use? Also, were you (both) running blanks, slotted, or x-drilled rotors when this "disintegration" occurred?Which model pad was it? How long ago did this happen?

TIA,
-a concerned Porterfield user.
well, if you really want to know, my pad kinda wore to nothing, this was on the track and I'm using blanks (not that it should matter) because the other 3 pads in the front were fine, my friend also races, and he runs a stock rotor, but it feel apart on him during normal use on the street. so basically this is what it really comes down too, portefields are great when the "quality control" makes sure that they're good, but I think the quality of the pad material is not consistent enough for my liking, I can't afford to have a pad to go bad on me on the street and especially on the track when I'm going at a 100mph into a wall.

hope this clears it up