4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2000 | 07:20 PM

'kay guys & gals,
trying to work out some bugs in my buddy's max, it is a 95 GLE I believe, 69,200 miles, check eng. light came on....is it the oxygen sensor and the other smog crap? Is the computer a "conventional" that will clear if I drop power for 10 minutes and reset itself? Any suggestions? I am a big block V8 D.I.Yer and am a little at a loss for the maxima...

thanks
Old 12-21-2000 | 07:30 PM

Well if the computer is throwing out codes for a bad o2 i say replace all 3 of them. My comp said one was bad but truns out all three were shot. They made a noticable difference. You can reset the ECU by unplugging the battery for an hour(both + and - terminals) then reconnect it and start up the car (dont touch or turn on anything) just let it run by itself for about 10 min. You should be good to go. If i was him though i wouldnt ignore any codes that my comp was putting out especially him being over 60k. 9 times sout of 10 the computer is right when that light comes on.
Old 12-21-2000 | 07:31 PM

Originally posted by BigBlocker
'kay guys & gals,
trying to work out some bugs in my buddy's max, it is a 95 GLE I believe, 69,200 miles, check eng. light came on....is it the oxygen sensor and the other smog crap? Is the computer a "conventional" that will clear if I drop power for 10 minutes and reset itself? Any suggestions? I am a big block V8 D.I.Yer and am a little at a loss for the maxima...

thanks
The Check Engine Light is evidence that something is wrong. That
"something" may be any number of things, some major and some minor. It
might be nothing more than a loose fuel filler cap. The Engine Control
Module (the computer) detected a problem and turned on the Check Engine
Light. At the same time it stored one or more Diagnostic Trouble Codes.
Get someone to do a DTC readout for you. This is not a big deal, does not
require specialized "dealer only" test equipment, and should take less than
an hour. When you know the stored DTCs, you will have a fair idea of what
repairs are needed.

If you like to do your own "wrenching" you can do the DTC readout for
yourself. Go to your public library and borrow a Chilton's or Haynes
manual for your vehicle. It contains detailed instructions and a table
which "translates" the numerical codes into words. No special tools are
required. You will also find instructions to do a DTC readout and reset
the Check Engine light at Steve Cutchen's excellent MaxFAQs page:
http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/

A ten minute "power drop" WILL NOT reset the check engine light.
Old 12-21-2000 | 07:41 PM

Thanks Muchly....

As I said, I am used to working on U.S. V8's....Max's are radically different. Kind of impressed so far though.
Old 12-21-2000 | 07:52 PM

The check engine light on is indicating something wrong,maybe a O2 sensor, maybe something else. First check the gas cap is on correctly. (really, that can set a code)

To read the codes find the ECU (behind the glove box). On the side there is a rotary switch you can turn with a small screwdriver.
Now, turn the ignition on (don't start the engine), then turn the screw fully clockwise for 2 seconds then fully counterclockwise, the check engine lamp will then flash the stored codes.
The 95 has 2 and 3 digit codes, the long flashes are the 10's digit, and the short flashes the 1's digit.

To clear the stored codes, turn the screw clockwise for 10 seconds then back to fully counterclockwise. Clearing the codes by disconnecting the battery takes 24hrs.
Old 12-21-2000 | 08:02 PM

However...

When its a short somewhere in the wiring harness or a bad ground that fools the ECU into setting a code for a particular sensor, then it becomes a nightmare. Then you've wasted money on a nonreturnable electrical item and haven't solved the problem.
Old 12-22-2000 | 08:57 AM

? Is the computer a "conventional" that will clear if I drop power for 10 minutes and reset itself? Any suggestions? I am a big block V8 D.I.Yer and am a little at a loss for the maxima...

Yes it probably will reset until you drive it more a few more days. The majority of these codes work off of a "two trip logic" detection in which the computer gets a bad reading from a sensor and holds it in it,s memory. The next time it gets this signal again which could be up to a few days, it will then illuminate the check engine light. So don,t be fooled by going some place and having the light disappear only to have it show up at a later time. If you get the code, post it and someone will let you know what it is.