4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Heelppp!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 06:32 AM

Heelppp!

Umm... steve didn't send me the bracket to connect the MAF to the K&N so I ghetto rigged the stock bracket until he sends me on. The thing is I started the car for five minutes after the battery was disconnected overnight then I shut it off. Everything was fine but then I started it again after a few minutes and the check engine light went on. When I tried to rev the car its... acceerating then deccelerating like the rpms go up then down then up then down!!
HELPP!
Old 10-09-2002, 06:38 AM

should I have no taken the snorkel out? or what I took everything connected to the filter out then put the midpipe in MAF K&N and connected the hoses and yes I reattached the temperature sensor
Old 10-09-2002, 06:43 AM

look at me I'm replying to my own post. I forget to plug the MAF back in duhhh. no how do i get the check engine light off
Old 10-09-2002, 06:53 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Look in the FAQs

Originally posted by 96max5sp
look at me I'm replying to my own post. I forget to plug the MAF back in duhhh. no how do i get the check engine light off
It gives specific instructions on how to do this.

Aaron
Old 10-09-2002, 07:12 AM

Re: Look in the FAQs

Originally posted by Aaron95SE

It gives specific instructions on how to do this.

Aaron
Whats it?
Old 10-09-2002, 07:18 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Re: Re: Look in the FAQs

Whats it?
This:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=72447

And Or This

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=104931

Use em...they work. And save you $$$$.

Ya have a flathead screwdriver right?

Aaron
Old 10-09-2002, 07:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Next to your throttle is the ecu, snap off the plastic panel, with a flat screw driver turn clock wise, wait 2 seconds, turn counter clockwise, immediately turn clock wise, then counter
Old 10-09-2002, 09:52 AM
What's next!?..

To Clear / Reset the ECU

The ECU is next to the gas pedal.

Get a medium sized flat screwdriver.

Pull off the plastic panel.

1. Insert your key and turn so the lights are on. DO NOT start the engine.

2. Use the screwdriver to turn clockwise til you feel you've hit a stop. Wait 2-3 seconds.

3. Turn back counter-clockwise to original position. Wait 2-3 seconds.

4. Repeat step 2.

5. Turn back counter-clockwise to original position. Turn off car. Take your key out.

6. Put the panel back in.

7. Voila! ECU reset.

NOTE: If step 2 doesn't work. (ie CEL doesn't start flashing codes) try turning slightly past the stop. You may hear a slight click.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:15 AM
Sin

Re: To Clear / Reset the ECU

Originally posted by JPMax
The ECU is next to the gas pedal.

Get a medium sized flat screwdriver.

Pull off the plastic panel.

1. Insert your key and turn so the lights are on. DO NOT start the engine.

2. Use the screwdriver to turn clockwise til you hear a slight clicking sound. Wait 2-3 seconds.

3. Turn back counter-clockwise to original position. Wait 2-3 seconds.

4. Repeat step 2.

5. Turn back counter-clockwise to original position. Turn off car. Take your key out.

6. Put the panel back in.

7. Voila! ECU reset.
Actually, there is no click. You twist until you hit a stop. If you force it passed the stop, you will damage your ECU.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:26 AM
Maximaniac

Re: Re: To Clear / Reset the ECU

Originally posted by Sin

Actually, there is no click. You twist until you hit a stop. If you force it passed the stop, you will damage your ECU.

How do you know if your ECU is damaged?
Old 10-09-2002, 10:35 AM
Sin

Re: Re: Re: To Clear / Reset the ECU

Originally posted by cmac95gxe

How do you know if your ECU is damaged?
When you turn the **** and the stops aren't there anymore. This is actually a common breakage. I must have read atleast 5 reports of people twisting so hard they broke the stops. I've reset mine a number of times, and I can't see why people would be twisting that hard. That is unless it was because of incorrect instructions that say twist until it clicks.

I simply use a stubby screwdriver (too long and the gas pedal will interfere), twist until I feel the stop (btw, the stop feels a lot like plastic, which is probably why it breaks so easily).
Old 10-09-2002, 11:16 AM
What's next!?..

Hmm..interesting.

Just did that last night. I twisted clockwise til it felt like it stopped, waited a few secs, then turned back. But nothing happened.

CEL didn't start flashing.

So, after a few tries, I went past the stop a little and heard the slight clicking. When I turned back..tada..CEL started flashing the code.

Wonder if it was damaged from past work at the dealer years ago when I had the O2 sensor replaced.

In any case, modified my directions a little. Be careful out there folks. It is a very delicate ****.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:27 AM

When I put my Franken Intake in My check engine light came on
I checked it out it was code 0401 Intake Sensor

SO I checked to see if everything was tight and it was
so I reset the ECU and mins later The check engine light just popped up agian.

also does the tempeture sensor go into anything or does it just dangle? Steve said to zip tie it near the other one so I assume it doesn't plug into anything

I wanna know what the problem is
Old 10-09-2002, 02:59 PM
Sin

Originally posted by JPMax
Hmm..interesting.

Just did that last night. I twisted clockwise til it felt like it stopped, waited a few secs, then turned back. But nothing happened.

CEL didn't start flashing.

So, after a few tries, I went past the stop a little and heard the slight clicking. When I turned back..tada..CEL started flashing the code.

Wonder if it was damaged from past work at the dealer years ago when I had the O2 sensor replaced.

In any case, modified my directions a little. Be careful out there folks. It is a very delicate ****.
When I first got my car, and wanted to know about how to do it myself, someone provided directions with pics, I believe from an FSM, and it too warned to twist till it got to the stop, and with a big warning, to not go past the stop. Weird. Maybe it changed sometime during the model generation. I myself have a 98 SE 5 spd, Canadian model.