4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to Roll/Flare Out Rear Fender???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 08:35 PM
Ramius83

How to Roll/Flare Out Rear Fender???

Well, this time has finally come for new tires and lately, I have been having problems with the left rear fender. Whenever I am near bottoming out, the lip on the left rear fender will scrub the sidewall of that tire and make a huge gash in that tire. I do not want this to happen with the new tires.

With that in mind, people have told me to slightly roll out that fender. They described using a baseball bat or small pipe to roll it out. Well, how in the hell do you do this lol? Like, what is the actual process. Any help is good right now lol. Thanks all.

Old 10-11-2002, 01:12 AM

I've seen it done by jacking up the rear of the car, inserting a baseball bat between the tire and fender, and gently (slowly) lower the car until the lip bends in the desired amount.

Personally, I would just take it to a body shop that does a lot of custom stuff -- this is fairly routing for high performance cars and they shouldn't charge that much.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:13 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Remove the wheel. Jack up the car. Beat the inside of the fender lip with the bat until it sticks out enough to clear the tire.

If that doesnt owrk, try beating the top of the rim with the bat for a while. Or just start beating your car in general.

Old 10-11-2002, 06:36 AM

Any ideas on how to roll it just enough so that paint doesn't crack?
Old 10-11-2002, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by vin1024
I've seen it done by jacking up the rear of the car, inserting a baseball bat between the tire and fender, and gently (slowly) lower the car until the lip bends in the desired amount.

Personally, I would just take it to a body shop that does a lot of custom stuff -- this is fairly routing for high performance cars and they shouldn't charge that much.
Man if you do that you'll more than likely end up with a cracked, messed up fender. This is real easy to do:
Jack up the car so that there is just enough clearance for you to fit the bat/pipe in between the tire and fender. I suggest you use an alluminum bat, because its round and smooth and will give even pressure on the inside of your fender - a pipe might be too thin and make a crease. Then wrap one layer of towel around the fat end and stick it in between, just so the tip of the bat clears the edge of the fender. Start prying up SLOWLY and EVENLY off the tire around the top of your fender a little bit at a time. And WATCH when you come accross any screws - thats where your have to change the angle of the bat so that it doesn't press it through and make a little dent on the other side. Just make sure you do it a little bit at a time, and you make both sides even - you want to roll it up so that it just barely clears so that you don't rub. As long as you do it slowly and evenly you wont crack any of the paint. If you do it right, the fenders will look really nice once they're flared out a little bit too.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:11 AM

Re: How to Roll/Flare Out Rear Fender???

Originally posted by Ramius83
Well, this time has finally come for new tires and lately, I have been having problems with the left rear fender. Whenever I am near bottoming out, the lip on the left rear fender will scrub the sidewall of that tire and make a huge gash in that tire. I do not want this to happen with the new tires.

With that in mind, people have told me to slightly roll out that fender. They described using a baseball bat or small pipe to roll it out. Well, how in the hell do you do this lol? Like, what is the actual process. Any help is good right now lol. Thanks all.
Ok, bro. I have done this on my brother in law's E300. It is quite simple.
Step# 1:It will require two person. Ask a friend to get into your car .
Step #2: I used a wooden , baseball bat, (Lousiveil Slugger, $ 8.00). Cut out the handle .
Step #3: Insert the skinny portion into the wheel well;about 4-5 inches(at the bottom of the fender),and angle it upwards.( I am assuming your drop in very low! If not you will want to use the thick portion).
Step#4: Ask your friend to slowly roll the car foward; while you keep pressure on the bat , angling it upwards and at the same time roling it with the momentum of the wheel!
Step #5: When you reach the rear of the fender, just let your friend reverse the car!
Step #6 : To have an even rolled fender you may want to look for the bulges , insert the bat close to the area,and simply roll out!
Note; becareful not to let the fender lip come apart( the metal is folded at the end ; you know what I mean?!).
Good luck.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:48 PM

I like mzmtg's idea!
Old 10-11-2002, 01:03 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by mzmtg
Or just start beating your car in general.

you do this step after you tried all the other methods peope have proposed and you chipped and bent the fender..

Old 10-11-2002, 07:47 PM

There is one shop here that has an tool that will bolt right up to your hub after taking out your wheels and you can adjust slowly the amount of flare you want to do to the fender. There is a roller on the end that looks like skateboard wheel. They also recomend heating up the outside paint with a hair dryer to prevent cracking. It was kool to see it happen in front of your eyes.

I wanted them to do it to my car but they recently went out of business. I'm trying to track down who has it now. I know the owner personally.