4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OEM Replacement parts or aftermarket parts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 02:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OEM Replacement parts or aftermarket parts?

Hi all, I have used the search many times before but this is my first posting. Anyway, I will be replacing front rotors, front brake pads and rusted rear muffler. I would like to know, for the money (meaning quality of part and performance gains), is it better to install OEM Nissan parts for the above mentioned or is it better to go with aftermarket parts (example: brembo rotors....etc)? I thought Nissan parts would be fairly cheap, but still pretty pricey over the internet... Also, will be replacing tires soon, should I go with Bridgestone RE950's or Dunlop SP Sport A2?

Please advise and thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:18 PM

If your going to replace the disc I would suggest going with some slotted, cross drilled, or crossdrilled/slotted rotors I mean your maybe paying an additional 20 dollars a pair depending on where you get them...I know some guy is running a group deal in the group deal area for rotors and they are a really good price.

-John
Old 10-16-2002, 08:12 PM
333matt333

Re: OEM Replacement parts or aftermarket parts?

go aftermarket on everything!! you can save money while getting a performance boost(or stopping)..check out stillen rotors--i know people dont like em' but ive had great luck and this guy andrew always cuts me good deals! i would drive on bicycle tires before buying dunslops ever again. (weak side walls and poor treadwear/regardless of what their rated.) dont get me wrong though... they grip great they just dont last......

Old 10-16-2002, 08:27 PM

I agree with 333matt333, go with aftermarket.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:08 PM

Re: OEM Replacement parts or aftermarket parts?

Originally posted by MUGZI
Hi all, I have used the search many times before but this is my first posting. Anyway, I will be replacing front rotors, front brake pads and rusted rear muffler. I would like to know, for the money (meaning quality of part and performance gains), is it better to install OEM Nissan parts for the above mentioned or is it better to go with aftermarket parts (example: brembo rotors....etc)? I thought Nissan parts would be fairly cheap, but still pretty pricey over the internet... Also, will be replacing tires soon, should I go with Bridgestone RE950's or Dunlop SP Sport A2?

Please advise and thanks in advance.

Rotors: brembo slotted, I swear I've seen a post on here where the flats are really cheap...like 30 maybe? don't quote me I wouldn't stick with OEM, they're notorious for warping, I know i've had to have my rotors resurfaced twice and I only have 55k miles

Pads: I'd go with some decent aftermarket carbon-metallics..tho I don't really see the point unless you're rally racing I just stick with semi-metallic

Muffler: OEM is usually a hell of alot more expensive then aftermarket...I'd go with aftermarket but it may become louder. There are a few dealerships in the group deal forum that offer discounts for .org members, to name a few Jerry Rome Nissan, Courtesy, and Tustin...call around and get the best pricing, all of them are very well respected by the .org members.