4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Automatic door locks don't.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 07:30 PM
Lon
Newbie - Just Registered

Automatic door locks don't.

Just bought a '97 SE about a month ago. Here's my problem - until recently the doors would automatically lock when the car would get to about 5 mph or so. Now they no longer do this. I thought maybe it was because I stopped using the keyless remote, so I started using it again. That didn't solve the problem.

The car was just in for some bodywork - a dent behind the driver's side rear wheel - and the battery was disconnected for a couple of days I guess. I don't think that's the problem because I put a new battery in the car a couple of weeks ago and even though this caused a disconnection the doors still autolocked after this.

Any ideas?

-=( Lon )=-
Old 10-19-2002, 07:33 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Automatic door locks don't.

Originally posted by Lon
Just bought a '97 SE about a month ago. Here's my problem - until recently the doors would automatically lock when the car would get to about 5 mph or so. Now they no longer do this. I thought maybe it was because I stopped using the keyless remote, so I started using it again. That didn't solve the problem.

The car was just in for some bodywork - a dent behind the driver's side rear wheel - and the battery was disconnected for a couple of days I guess. I don't think that's the problem because I put a new battery in the car a couple of weeks ago and even though this caused a disconnection the doors still autolocked after this.

Any ideas?

-=( Lon )=-
The car's STOCK alarm does not have this feature. It has only lock/unlock when u press the button and winding down windows options.

Does your car have an aftermarket alarm system?
Old 10-19-2002, 07:36 PM

Re: Automatic door locks don't.

Originally posted by Lon

Any ideas?
do you have a stock keyless entry? if so, you shouldn't have this option!?!?!? this wasn't offered for our cars.
-=( Lon )=-
Old 10-19-2002, 07:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a viper alarm and i have this same feature, its actually pretty nice. Anyway I had the sam problem you did. The way it works on mine is u have to start the car with doors closed, then after like 2 secs it locks. If u leave the door open and start the car then close it doesnt lock. I think it more of a time thing than speed.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:42 PM
Lon
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Automatic door locks don't.

Originally posted by nadir_s

The car's STOCK alarm does not have this feature. It has only lock/unlock when u press the button and winding down windows options.

Hmmm. That's interesting! I know nothing much about the car - I bought it off a Chrysler dealer, it was a trade-in there. I got one key and one well-worn Nissan keyless remote controller.

Where would I look for something to indicate the car might have an aftermarket alarm system?

Anyone reading this thread know of an aftermarket system that locks doors after the car is rolling?

-=( Lon )=-
Old 10-19-2002, 09:30 PM

make sure that your alarm isnt in valet mode
Old 10-19-2002, 11:13 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: Re: Automatic door locks don't.

Originally posted by Lon

Hmmm. That's interesting! I know nothing much about the car - I bought it off a Chrysler dealer, it was a trade-in there. I got one key and one well-worn Nissan keyless remote controller.

Where would I look for something to indicate the car might have an aftermarket alarm system?

Anyone reading this thread know of an aftermarket system that locks doors after the car is rolling?

-=( Lon )=-
If you are using your stock alarm remote... i think you don't have an aftermarket alarm system.

Perhaps there is a fault in the stock system.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:18 PM

Re: Re: Automatic door locks don't.

man, i really wish the stock alarm did have this feature. my old car had a viper alarm with this feature, and i really miss it. it would also unlock the doors when the car was turned off.

does anyone know if there is a way to add these features to the car WITHOUT adding an entire aftermarket alarm?
Old 10-19-2002, 11:20 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by SE Maxima

man, i really wish the stock alarm did have this feature. my old car had a viper alarm with this feature, and i really miss it. it would also unlock the doors when the car was turned off.

does anyone know if there is a way to add these features to the car WITHOUT adding an entire aftermarket alarm?
You are better off changing the whole damn thing. Nissan's system is a $25 POS. I had the Viper system in my old celica... the most pimp thing about it was the abilty to wind up the windows automatically when i locked and armed the system.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Automatic door locks don't.

You are better off changing the whole damn thing. Nissan's system is a $25 POS. I had the Viper system in my old celica... the most pimp thing about it was the abilty to wind up the windows automatically when i locked and armed the system.
i would definetly agree with you there. but the problem is the cost. i think i paid around $250 for my last Viper (installed), and it was one of the most basic models. the power door lock feature was the only extra it had.

i was hoping there might be something a little cheaper that would add that convenience feature, without having to do a whole new system.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by Lon

-=( Lon )=-
A Clifford unit I installed in anothe car locked the doors once the car reached around 20 I think...I believe it was tied into the alternator (it also came with an RPM sensor if you didn't want to do that..)