4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 11:55 AM

Maxima won't start!

Greetings:

How is everyone doing? Fine i hope!

I have not been in this forum since this past April and i am happy to be back. I have a bit of a problem. My 96se won't start
! I has been sitting for the last 6 months, ihad been starting it, up only until late may 2002. After that it did not start. My computer keeps registering code 05-05, and nothing else. At one time it registered a 4th gear tranny issue, in addition to a knock sensor problem. Now all i get is a few clicks and some type of relay feed back from the front passenger side of the engine compartment. Earlier this year i replaced the ignition switch, starter, and battery (January 2002). My alternator was replaced at 115,000 miles, the car now has 172,000 miles on it now. I ran strong the last time that i started it, with a small exception to some slight tapping until the engine warmed up (oil light went oil right away). I took her off the road until i could replace the struts,tires,cv joints etc. However it is now getting cold, and i need some everyday Maxima owner's solutions, please! Also my relays don't appear to be missing in action. One other thing that i noticed was when i turn the key to start i get 2 types of clicking sounds (under the hood) one from the starter area and one from the front right side engine compartment. It sort of sounds like the starter solenoid, but then in comes the second click. All my cables/connections appear to be tight. Right now i have a 88 Volvo 740 wagon (excellent condition) that has a whooping 360,000 miles on it and runs like a charm! But i want my maxi to do the same. Possible timing chain (non-interference engine?)Please all suggestions will be appreciated. This car is well taken care of (never abused)! Sorry for such a long thesis.

BEST REGARDS
Old 10-20-2002, 12:32 PM

Sounds like a dead/weak battery. Try jump starting it w/ your Volvo and let it run for a little while to charge it back up. Before you do this, check the water level in the battery and top it off then jump start it. Do you have any devices that draw current while the car is off? Maybe you have a small drain on the battery that wears it down if you let it sit too long. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
Sounds like a dead/weak battery. Try jump starting it w/ your Volvo and let it run for a little while to charge it back up. Before you do this, check the water level in the battery and top it off then jump start it. Do you have any devices that draw current while the car is off? Maybe you have a small drain on the battery that wears it down if you let it sit too long. Good luck and keep us posted.
THANKS!
Old 10-20-2002, 05:48 PM
RodolfoGraziani

Re: Maxima won't start!

Dude I had the same problem!!!!

And it was not starter.

Ended up taking my $260 including $50 towing from my modding $$$

It is a negative ground wire....a $1 part. Now, I don't know where this suck@r is located, but it hit me after the repair that I got ripped off like ****.

So your car doesn't start, and at ON (not cranking up) position, makes tick tick tick tick noise? Right?

That's means your negative ground wire is busted.
Better luck, and tell me how you fixed it so I can do it myself next time.

Luck
hh

Old 10-20-2002, 06:27 PM

That brings up a good point - if your battery is sufficiently charged then maybe the terminals are dirty at the battery and on the starter and possibly the engine and body grounds (those are easy to find, just follow the black wire from the battery). The fact that the car clicks lets me know that relays and other things are doing what they're supposed to but there just isn't enough power to crank the engine. The starters demand for current is very high.